8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » CineSea 12 Fall 2015 In Pictures (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: CineSea 12 Fall 2015 In Pictures
Todd N. Tuckey
Film Handler

- posted October 16, 2015 06:39 PM      Profile for Todd N. Tuckey   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Our family had a ball! I will be posting a REALLY FUN VIDEO tomorrow of the entire show!

Is there a website I can add to the video about who to contact for the april 2016 show? Todd

--------------------
Todd N. Tuckey

|  IP: Logged

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted October 16, 2015 08:56 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As usual, a great photo report by Claus. Looks like everyone had a really great time.
We are planning on making our second Cinesea in April. [Smile]

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Mathew James
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 16, 2015 10:44 PM      Profile for Mathew James   Email Mathew James   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Looks like a very fun venue.
Just by the pictures, am I correct to assume the majority of films are 16mm? I did see some super 8's but I was wondering on percentage of those vs 16mm?
Cheers,
Matt

--------------------
--
Cheers,
Matt 📽

Jason Gronn
Expert Film Handler

- posted October 17, 2015 06:10 AM      Profile for Jason Gronn   Email Jason Gronn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great pictures Claus,
Looks like a fun convention and l should make the trip to one some time.

Douglas Meltzer

- posted October 17, 2015 07:25 AM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Matt,

I'm not sure of the percentage, however quite a few tables have both 8mm & 16mm. I brought over 80 super 8mm films myself, ranging from 200 footers to scope features.

Todd,

It was wonderful having you and your family at CineSea. The website isn't up yet (hopefully it will be shortly), so for now if you could provide a link to this Forum I would appreciate it!

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted October 17, 2015 08:20 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The square footage certainly is in favor of 16mm sales, then again 16mm needs the square footage!

I'm purely a Super-8 collector (-ask me again in a year), and I've never come away from CineSea without a couple of really nice titles: often films I've wanted for years and years. As a matter of fact when I first get there I make it a point of seeing everything before I start to buy anything (...budget!). I can state for a fact the last couple of times I left a couple of titles behind (for next time).

Just one example: I'd wanted a sound print of "Unaccustomed as We Are" for years. I'd watched it go through the roof on E-bay a couple of times and basically given up. One day I'm standing at the Franchetti table and there it IS!

-I wondered if I was either upstairs dreaming about the next day or somebody who heard me griping on here was playing some kind of a prank on me, but it is the genuine article.

The week after you go home is great! -all these new films to watch! You're like a kid the week after Halloween but without all the tooth decay!

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Timothy Price
Master Film Handler

- posted October 17, 2015 09:42 AM      Profile for Timothy Price   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gonna make it a point to go next year! Looks so dang awesome!

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted October 17, 2015 09:57 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds good Tim!,

Just remember when you get there this is at its heart a humble event! The venue is downright spartan: it's the people and the proceedings that make it great!

--------------------

Jack Cleveland
Expert Film Handler

- posted October 17, 2015 09:59 AM      Profile for Jack Cleveland   Email Jack Cleveland   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Timothy-

Please join us. It really is a fun time, and the only thing that keeps me from coming home with lots of film is money! LOL- We love having new folks join us!

Claus Harding
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 17, 2015 10:56 AM      Profile for Claus Harding   Email Claus Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Saturday night went into Sunday morning (past 2am). Some "Bond", some "Jurassic Park", some classic horror...quite a list:

-

-

As a special treat, Joe Vannicola had made a video documenting the last Cinefest in Syracuse with interviews and such; it made for a potent reminder of the importance of keeping the shows going. Our old friend, animation guru Tommy Jose Stathes, made an appearance in it:

-

Now here's the device I was hinting at earlier. Doug had brought his Pedro Box with him. This amazing synch device showed its capabilities in a live demo:

-

A simplified explanation:
Doug had a silent super-8 reel of Elvis performing a song live.
He recorded the Elvis performance video off YouTube, using his video camera, at 24 frames per second.

A burned DVD of that video was put into his DVD player, and the player "video out" hooked into the Pedro Box:

-

The "Sync Out" was hooked from the Pedro Box to the GS-1200 "Sync In", and "audio out" from the DVD player was hooked to "audio in" on the GS-1200.

When set up, the film played back with perfect lip sync from the DVD.
It was amazing to behold "live", this marriage of old and new, with the big Elmo living up to all the expectations built into it when it was "state of the art" about 33 years ago, and the Pedro Box keeping everything locked together.

-

-----------

And so it ended, once again. Cinesea 12 sailed off into the sunset, making way for Cinesea 13 in April of 2016.

The magic of Cinesea isn't just the pleasure of getting together and talking film, of celebrating the hobby.
Not just that, not any more.
As the years go on, our show (and others) take on a greater importance.

35mm film, the daddy of all film formats, is fighting for its life in an increasingly digital world, and yet the irony is that two little gauges, 8mm and 16mm, which have been declared deader than Dracula (and about as often) are still holding on...thanks to us.

We are the "new historians", in a sense.

Along with surviving repertory theatres, we are rapidly becoming the curators of the very idea of projecting physical film, the people with the ability to actually still thread and operate such machines, and to appreciate the look of film.

That is also what hangs in the air at Cinesea, unspoken, but there: we are not just enjoying a hobby, we are literally keeping something alive, something important. Film, the very format that gave us more than a hundred years of art and memories, is now partly in our hands for safekeeping.

-

Thank you for reading and looking and please make plans to attend Cinesea in the spring. You will love it.

-

Claus.

--------------------
"Why are there shots of deserts in a scene that's supposed to take place in Belgium during the winter?" (Review of 'Battle of the Bulge'.)

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted October 17, 2015 02:14 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Claus

Interesting about the Pedro box, thanks for the photos, its great to see everyone enjoying themselves.

Graham [Smile]

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted October 17, 2015 02:46 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Great bit of kit there Doug with the Pedro sync box.wish I had the drawings for these and the interfaces.

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted October 17, 2015 03:33 PM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Claus again has outdone himself - Kudos dear friend - Notice behind the Pedro-Box is a tailor-made Blackhawk box, ideal for display and practical - I echo what Claus said, what John Black had in mind, to maintain the art form and enjoy everyone who loves it - I salute CINESEA - Shorty

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted October 17, 2015 03:52 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We need to get the schematic of that Pedro Box. I wonder if Van Eck would be interested in making it.

I echo Joe's praise and admiration of Claus. What a fantastic job he does every time, and just looking at his great pics makes you want to break out the projector and run a few reels of film. Wonderful!

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Claus Harding
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 17, 2015 04:12 PM      Profile for Claus Harding   Email Claus Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul, Joe,

Thank you for the kind words; I am glad you enjoy my "field reports" [Smile]

Claus.

--------------------
"Why are there shots of deserts in a scene that's supposed to take place in Belgium during the winter?" (Review of 'Battle of the Bulge'.)

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted October 17, 2015 04:13 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
The boxes, especially the later made model with the twin LCD displays showing synced frame rates etc, and the projector interfaces Paul!

Then a whole host of people could recreate these.

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted October 17, 2015 04:59 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There was more!

Sunday morning we got a nice surprise: we were being invited to visit the Sea Theater. This was one of those offers I just couldn’t refuse! As I’ve said before: on my 50th birthday we went out to see a movie at the local theater. Being that these were still 35mm days (…It’s not that long ago!), I wanted to ask the manager for a booth tour, but I kind of…wussed out! Now I was being asked!

-This time I HAD to go!

http://www.seatheater.net/index.html

The Sea Theater is a jewel. It’s a century old: first operating during the silent days of the mid-nineteen teens. It’s on a scale we small-gauge folks will feel comfortable with: one screen, one projector, 65 seats. People wanting to build a classic style home cinema should feel inspired by this place. Instead of the usual twenty times or fifty times what we could ever have at home, it’s maybe three, four or five times!

-

It actually hasn’t operated as a theater for most of its existence. It had been various kinds of businesses for decades until a local family bought the by then abandoned building and restored it. Upon gutting it out, they discovered a sloped auditorium floor that had been covered over easily fifty years. They then brought in everything they needed to establish a vintage style cinema with 35mm projection and modern comforts. The place has everything a movie theater should have: ticket booth, snack bar, lobby, auditorium and projection booth. It’s just all on a very approachable scale.

-

-

Maybe this isn’t a cathedral to film, but it’s at least a chapel. There are displays there like this one:

-

We’ve been doing CineSea almost 6 years now. I’d say that’s long enough to have some “lore”! Part of the lore of CineSea is way back during # 3 (John Black’s last show), Dino Everett came from California and did a 9.5mm show for the crowd at the Sea Theater. To this day, on a ledge beneath their screen you will find these programs:

-

There’s more going on here than is obvious. Part of the reason they are still on that ledge is the Sea has been closed since the end of the 2011 season. Like a great many small venues it had trouble getting 35mm prints and then wasn’t able to make the leap to Digital. It has remained frozen in time ever since. The current owner is hoping for a buyer willing to reopen it as a nonprofit movie theater, hopefully still featuring 35mm projection.

What else isn’t so obvious is the moisture damage on that old program. Three years ago this month, Wildwood was hit by Hurricane Sandy and the Sea Theater was flooded up to the third row of seats. In the midst of coping with their own messes, friends of the place showed up and did such a great cleanup that there is little evidence of flood damage inside there today. One thing you will notice is on the floor of the booth there is a deceased Eumig Dual-8 machine: obviously having been immersed in flood water, and possibly saltwater at that.

-but enough of those regrets, this was a happy occasion:

Sunday, October 11th 2015 the Sea Theater was an active movie theater once again, even if just for the afternoon. The audience that day was entirely from CineSea XII and we felt lucky to be there.

Without the odd mix of feelings that comes with turning fifty years old all over again (”What happened to THIRTY??!!”), I finally stood inside a genuine film based, theatrical projection booth!

There it was!

-

-Several HUNDRED pounds of 35mm power and brilliance! I’m alleged to be pretty savvy technically speaking, and theoretically I understand how this beast works, but this is downright intimidating! I’ve never operated a movie projector that doesn’t have a handle on top, and comparing what I’m used and this is like comparing a “Boat” and a “Ship”! (I also understand what makes a helicopter fly, but…)

I saw a big knob marked “Frame” and felt a little smarter, but there was no question this was a job for a professional!

-Fortunately we arrived prepared…

(to be continued...)

--------------------

Claus Harding
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 17, 2015 05:12 PM      Profile for Claus Harding   Email Claus Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Excellent, Steve.

Someone HAS to save the "Sea" Theatre...I was thinking of a Kickstarter-type campaign, but given the sums involved, who knows if it can be done. Still, worth a thought.

Claus.

--------------------

Todd N. Tuckey
Film Handler

- posted October 17, 2015 06:41 PM      Profile for Todd N. Tuckey   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, here it is! The weekend in video---PLUS, an exclusive tour of the SEA THEATER--the last storefront Nickelodeon in America! What a great time we had...and maybe we will get NEW people in April 2016 at the NEXT one! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TesHV-A6y4

The Todd Tuckey Family

--------------------
Todd N. Tuckey

Joe Vannicola
Expert Film Handler

- posted October 17, 2015 08:58 PM      Profile for Joe Vannicola   Email Joe Vannicola   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To give credit where credit is due: Doug Meltzer actually improved my video by trimming some of my scenes where trimming was needed. I really learned a lot from watching how Doug tightened up my tribute to Cinefest. Thank you, Doug. As I'm fond of saying," I'm always learning." Although I did get slightly peeved when Doug referred to me as Grasshopper. But hey,
I've been called worse. lol [Big Grin]

--------------------
Joe

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted October 17, 2015 09:21 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Part of what keeps CineSea interesting is the qualifications of the people that join in. It makes for a lot of great conversation. For just a few examples we have at least two professional filmmakers, we have a radio producer, we have at least one actor, we have a teacher that does a film studies class (with real FILM!), and we have Joe Griesbach:

-

Joe is a professional projectionist. Over at the Ocean Holiday he is hands-down the guy with the coolest gear on display!

(I just work at a place that shoots an electron beam around a big circle: in this crowd I’m a film hobbyist!)

This machine is a long way from plug and play. (It’s called “Simplex”, but don’t be deceived!) There are bearings in there that require active lubrication and an operator who knows where, with what and how often (-and they started out as dry as Arizona that day.)

Automatic Threading?!

-Thread THIS!!

-

The setup there needs some TLC, yet under Joe’s skilled attention we got through the afternoon with only one interruption.

The Sea has an unusual floor plan. Every other theater I’ve ever been in you come in back by the booth and walk downhill towards the screen. Here you come in by the screen and then walk uphill towards the booth. I wonder if there is some hurricane-country logic at play here. If you kept the lobby at grade and then walked down to the screen, the front of auditorium would now be well below grade unless you put a flight of stairs in between and boosted the whole theater up. It’s a fact of life that any hole you dig this close to sea-level is one decent storm away from becoming your own private swamp! This way it may still get flooded, but at least it has natural drainage!

(I’ve never seen a building this close to the ocean that had a basement either: why tempt fate?)

When we went inside the auditorium, we saw light through the back of the screen:

-

This is a reminder that a lot of the time a theatrical screen isn’t a solid, opaque surface like the rollup screens we use at home but a perforated vinyl sheet that allows speakers mounted right behind the screen to send sound directly through the picture. The owner left the light on behind the screen so we could see the speaker.

-

The feature that afternoon was Blazing Saddles. For me this was an interesting choice. You see, when it was first in the theaters Mom and Dad went to see it, but ruled it too edgy for a 12 year old. Meanwhile, not having ever seen it, that same 12 year old is sitting there 41 years later with his own 13 year old wondering what I’d gotten us into! Actually by modern standards it’s not that big a deal, and I’m sure Steven will not be permanently scarred! (-actually the campfire scene would be comic gold for your average 13 year old!)

-

So with our Blazing Heroes riding off into the sunset (in a Cadillac limousine), it was time to say our goodbyes. Everyone but us left the Sea Theater and went home.

We went back to the Ocean Holiday and spent the night so we could visit Cape May on Monday (Columbus Day). We spent a pleasant evening up on the Wildwood boardwalk enjoying the sunset .

-

We also had a meal of the really scandalous kind of food you get at the beach but would never confess to your doctor!

-but CineSea comes but once a year!

(It’s really twice, but that just sounds…wrong!)

-

[ October 22, 2015, 04:36 PM: Message edited by: Steve Klare ]

--------------------

Jack Cleveland
Expert Film Handler

- posted October 17, 2015 11:26 PM      Profile for Jack Cleveland   Email Jack Cleveland   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Somehow I missed the fact you guys were going to the Sea Theater. I have wanted to see this treasure for two years now. Any chance we will get another opportunity in the spring? If so, let me know and I will make my travel plans around it. It looks so awesome !

Paul Barker
Master Film Handler

- posted October 18, 2015 02:02 AM      Profile for Paul Barker   Email Paul Barker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i have loved every bit of this topic. what a time. and more so, what a great bunch of people. [Smile]

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted October 18, 2015 03:58 AM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good video there Todd [Cool]

Excellent write up everyone, Steve glad you got to see a bit of 35mm and hope the cinema does survive into the future.

Graham. [Smile]

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted October 18, 2015 06:22 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jack,

Somehow I doubt CineSea and the Sea Theater have seen the last of each other!

It would have been great to have you there too Graham.

CineSea is kind of like bookends for Winter. The days are getting shorter and we had the first frost last night. The nights are getting longer and there will be more time for watching films. There come certain moments in the depths of January and February when you shove open your front door and find the car a white mound (AGAIN?!!), you really need something to look forward to to get you through to the thaw.

-It's always nice to remember April is coming!

--------------------

All times are Central
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC