8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Inventing a projector (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Author Topic: Inventing a projector
Phil Murat
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 11, 2015 01:04 AM      Profile for Phil Murat   Email Phil Murat   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

[ December 14, 2015, 04:42 AM: Message edited by: Phil Murat ]

|  IP: Logged

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted December 11, 2015 02:31 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Open the pictures in "paint" and re size them to 550 pixels or less in the biggest dimension.

Jpg photo's are fine to post here.

Once re sized, you'll be able to post them here Phil no problem.

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted December 11, 2015 05:59 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Phil. On my version of "Paint", you have to options in the resizing (redimensionner) section : percentage and pixels. It is automatically set on "percentage", so I dowmnsize from 100 to 10 without having any idea about the picture size.

--------------------
Dominique

Dave Groves
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 11, 2015 07:48 AM      Profile for Dave Groves     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A new projector of any description will cost. My question is, who will actually buy one. Most of us have excellent machines so we won't be shelling out in the near future. So how many will actually buy in to the concept? Phil Sheard made a valiant attempt that was little supported. He has a big enough problem trying to produce new prints let alone sell them. Perhaps a line of refurbished machines might be worthwhile but folk like Kevin Brown can supply from whatever he has available at the time so we have sources. The age of many of us is against further purchases so I suspect the enthusiasts for this idea may be extremely small. It comes down in the end to money and it's a brave man who will go up the route of investing time and money into something so uncertain. And, I've never had a problem with auto threaders. On a well maintained machine they work fine.

--------------------
Dave

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted December 11, 2015 10:06 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Phil, first, click on "Click here to upload an image" (below the space you're writing an answer to a message). Then you end on another page, go at the middle on it and at the left side you will see two empty spaces : one for your name and one for your password. If everything goes well, when you type the first letter of your name, the full name appears and so does your password (if it doens't do that automatically on your computer, you have of course no other option than putting these informations manually). Click then on "parcourir" (it appears in French on my screen, I guess the word "browse" appears on English speaking computers :-) Then choose and open a picture at the right size. The preeceding page appears again. Click on "submit" (maybe my computer doesn't know the translation as it is written in English) .A new page should open telling you if the picture is accepted or not. Just copy the address (seen on the top side of the page, above the picture) and then paste it in your message space. That works with me.

--------------------
Dominique

Phil Murat
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 11, 2015 11:37 AM      Profile for Phil Murat   Email Phil Murat   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
1) BEAULIEU Rearward Reel Hub carrier Upgraded (Dual bearings Kept inside) New carrier is two parts, fully machined, Cranted wheel for the belt from industry supply
 -

2)BEAULIEU strange Mag Head Press Support showing a strange provision.................... For Optical Sound possibility?
 -

3)BEAULIEU Fully machined Kowa Lens Bracket, Nylon screw to save
Kowa body !!!
 -

4)BEAULIEU "Input/Output" Rollers Guides (For exhaust Drive) Upgraded, including small ball bearings and fast disassembly .......
 -

5)BEAULIEU "Output" Roller Rear feeding Upgraded, Including small Ball Bearing and Spring loaded to damp some variations....
Fully machined too.
 -

Thanks everybody for your help !!!!
Now I know my password as well as my first name [Smile]

Kind Regards
Phil

[ December 14, 2015, 01:31 AM: Message edited by: Phil Murat ]

Christian Bjorgen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 11, 2015 12:27 PM      Profile for Christian Bjorgen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting thread this; I thought I'd share my two cents:

I've toyed with the idea of modifying/making my own projector for a while, and I have established a list of "demands".

1) It would have to be LED-based to get a brighter and "whiter" picture, and of course to avoid expensive and shortlived bulbs. Using LED would also make it more economical in terms of power.

2) It would need at least 1200' reel capacity.

3) It would need an EQ and mono/stereo output using 3,5mm jacks.

4) It would need variable speed control.

5) It would have to be lightweight and portable.

--------------------
Well who’s on first? Yeah. Go ahead and tell me. Who. The guy on first. Who. The guy playin’ first base. Who. The guy on first. Who is on first! What are you askin’ me for? I’m askin’ you!

Phil Murat
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 11, 2015 12:54 PM      Profile for Phil Murat   Email Phil Murat   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
High Christian,

1) Yes !!! H/P led or Arc Xenon , U/V fltered......
Led is th e future because of extra life duration and less expensive than Xenon bulbs (to be studied)
2) Yes !!! Expect directly 750m spools , no change on the price, just the arm lenght a bit longer
3) Yes !!! ....and Minimum Electronic dedicated to sound inside the machine. Electronic protected by a shield due to Xenon Ballast (if used)
4) Absolutly ! 25 F/S Electronic regulated for Video Transfer
5) Hummmmmm..........Afraid that machine should be something like 15 kgs , (Plain Aluminium Structural parts, and heavier is a machine ....... Soft running is the machine )

Chris : What about experiencing Digital sound recorded insteed off usual Analogical , each track 1+2 carrying the same signal in the aim to increase sound reliability in case of main track fading out.

Then it should "very exiting" to introduce a Frames driving by a small "Malt Cross" , to be dtermined (Full Mehanical or Electronic with Step to Step motor). That needs to abandon the idea of a recording machine to save space below the lens carrier.

Phil

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted December 11, 2015 01:13 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A quieter design would be a big improvement, but as said above, we're dreaming :-)

--------------------
Dominique

Phil Murat
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 11, 2015 01:32 PM      Profile for Phil Murat   Email Phil Murat   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I assume the best way to keep Super 8 "alive" is to bring something new , associating "past" experience and new technologies.

1) Modular Concept, cunning ideas to save time and money ....And easy to maintain by the owner Himself.
2) Using Best industrial solution
3) Using New performing material

I have seen same "Prices" for machines (Ouffff.... more than 3000 E, imagine what you can do with...).
The machine "imagined" has to be .......definitly below that price.

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted December 11, 2015 01:52 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would say that right now, the emergency is to have a good reversal filmstock at reasonnable price. Ferrania is working on it but time is against us.

--------------------
Dominique

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted December 11, 2015 06:02 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Phil, just in this past week, ive managed to get the shutter claw noise on my Beaulieu below the exhaust fan noise for the very first time since my ownership. So these already can run very very quietly with some tenative fine tuning and decent silicone cam grease.
not as quiet as the Bauer due to the more powerful fan and open gate design, but very quiet nevertheless.

--------------------

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted December 11, 2015 10:43 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why invent a projector? when you already own the best [Wink] ...an .....Elmo..... [Cool] [Smile]

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted December 11, 2015 11:33 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Mmmm...Best leave that one there, I'd say.

Ugo's write up on the other forum says it all!

Quote:
Hello Hugh,
"I don't fit rollers, I modify some path parts. That's enough. I agree with you: the gs1200 is very dangerous for the films, but to modify the machine is possible".

I'd say these machines have already been reinvented!

....................................................................................................................................................................................
Back onto Phil's photo's,

I like the knurled spindle holders featured there, these seem very well engineered as also is the rear roller modification though I have no idea for it's necessity, as the original one works fine.

Equally I cannot really see how the hole drilled in the sound head presser arm would have ever been able to accommodate all the required photocell and exciter lamp and lens parts required to ever have enabled this part of the project to have ever been realistically viable?
I'd need that one explaining to me I reckon.

[ December 12, 2015, 01:53 AM: Message edited by: Andrew Woodcock ]

--------------------

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted December 12, 2015 02:01 AM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well my GS1200 ain't dangerous to my films and I have been running Super8 through it for the last 25 years [Wink]

Sure some parts wear out over time, but those are simple enough to replace, that goes for "all" film projectors.

The most reliable projector ever made is still my trusty ST1200 "M" model, that's now 40 years old....and its still going strong.

Elmo really made a good product and am sure the design teams that built them way way back in the 1970s never expected them to be still in general use, all these years later.

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted December 12, 2015 02:11 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
As a machine Graham, the ST1200 is reliable. As for it's use as a film projector, well in mine and many other peoples experiences, that is highly debatable if you value your film collection.

As with almost any machine out there, one mans pill is another mans poison.

I'm only glad I discovered the machines I did, when I did, or else I'd have been out of this hobby for a second time not long after entering it again.

--------------------

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted December 12, 2015 04:09 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Andrew, I didn't know that expression "One man's pill is another man's poison". However, when looking to see if there was an equivalent one in French (which I didn't find), I noticed that the Net gives two versions but they are both different from yours : "One man's food..." and "One man's meat...". The "pill version" is better :-)

--------------------
Dominique

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted December 12, 2015 04:23 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Simply that a pill makes you feel better Dominique, while poison makes you feel ill. [Wink]

--------------------

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted December 12, 2015 04:28 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, meat or food doesn't give you the same strong idea :-)

--------------------
Dominique

Phil Murat
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 12, 2015 04:52 AM      Profile for Phil Murat   Email Phil Murat   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

[ December 14, 2015, 01:30 AM: Message edited by: Phil Murat ]

Paul Browning
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 12, 2015 11:07 AM      Profile for Paul Browning   Email Paul Browning   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Some interesting mods Phil, did you modify the plastic guide under where the lens gate swings out, its fixed with a Philips screw hidden inside the lamp housing. I was cleaning my machine and noticed this was accumulating a lot of oxide residue from films, and because it turns the film through 90 degree's into the sound heads must be cause for some scratching of film if left unattended. The take up spindles are not a good design on these and prone to brake, Elmo has the best idea an that, a plain spindle, one drive pin and a spring loaded clip to hold it all in place, in fact I think the later designed Beaulieu is very similar to it.

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted December 12, 2015 04:09 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I keep having a mystery with my Beaulieu : although I clean carefuly the filmpath and the film, I have a lot (!) of dust ending on the gate (and on the screen). I've just watched a feature (already seen several times, so I will not report it in the dedicated thread) and I had the same trouble. I used several cotton buds with alcool and a duster but the dust seem to have found a secret place to hide. I followed Janice's advice to remove the lens to have a better access to the projection gate. What else can I do ?

--------------------
Dominique

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted December 12, 2015 05:38 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Blow it out thiroughly with compressed air anf with the lamp and lens well out of the way. Allow time for condensation to evaporate and parts to return to room temperature before refitting lamp and lens.

clean films before projecting and run through a dry lint free cloth after cleaning to remove any excessive filmguard.

open gated machines sadly will always pick up more airborne particles than machines which cover the gate.

--------------------

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted December 12, 2015 06:01 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I used a compressed air bottle (and more than generousely !)Maybe I should try next time without the lamp. My films are clean and on other projectors I haven't that problem.

--------------------
Dominique

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted December 12, 2015 09:16 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Then with 2 from 3 eliminated, it can only be airborne particles being drawn into the gate then Dom.

[ December 13, 2015, 03:27 AM: Message edited by: Andrew Woodcock ]

--------------------

All times are Central
This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC