8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » 8mm Transfer - DV Format Quality

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: 8mm Transfer - DV Format Quality
Bill Vendasi
Film Handler

- posted November 13, 2015 12:11 PM      Profile for Bill Vendasi   Email Bill Vendasi   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi all,

I've started experimenting with transfers, and I'm using a Sony Digital 8 camera. The playback picture I see on the monitor is very nice or at least good enough for now.

Then I use a firewire cable to connect to the PC and capture the
file as an AVI using the small WINDV program.

But the quality in the WINDV window is very poor by comparison.
Not sharp and the colors are dull.

I assume since I'm using a digital camera and firewire, I'm at least getting the same quality that the camera recorded.

So am I seeing a flaw in WINDV and it's own capturing quality or over-inflated quality in my camera's monitor?

Or is the DV format itself the culprit here?

Thanks.

|  IP: Logged

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted November 13, 2015 12:45 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Bill...What you see in your camcorder monitor is not always a good representation of the captured image. It always looks better smaller and the contrast on the monitor screen most likely appears brighter. However, brightness and contrast can be adjusted in a video editing program after capture to bring back clarity and color saturation.

I haven't used WinDV for capturing...but you might want to try ScenalyzerLive http://www.scenalyzer.com/. Like WinDV it is no longer in development...but still available and it is a very good program for capturing SD DV from Firewire to AVI. You could try it and do a comparison to see if the image improves.

[ November 13, 2015, 02:32 PM: Message edited by: Janice Glesser ]

--------------------
Janice

"I'm having a very good day!"
Richard Dreyfuss - Let It Ride (1989).

Bill Vendasi
Film Handler

- posted November 13, 2015 12:55 PM      Profile for Bill Vendasi   Email Bill Vendasi   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That sounds great, I'll try it.

Thanks Janice.

Bill Vendasi
Film Handler

- posted November 15, 2015 05:55 PM      Profile for Bill Vendasi   Email Bill Vendasi   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I tried Scenalyzer but it looks the same.

I think I can settle for what I have and tweak a little saturation and contrast as you suggest, Janice.

My final issue however, is that the speed is too fast. I used VDub to lower the frame rate but the result is not smooth at all.

Still experimenting with settings.

Thanks.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC