8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » New Super 8 camera from Kodak (Page 4)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Author Topic: New Super 8 camera from Kodak
Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted January 15, 2016 05:24 AM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Recent video of the Kodak booth at CES from the fine people of Tested:

Click here

Some questions answered: cartridges seem to be the same as the original ones, built-in microphone can be unplugged and you can connect another sound recording device into the stereo jack in, sound is recorded onto an SD card (Logmar style) and scan should be in 4K.

--------------------
The Grindcave Cinema Website

|  IP: Logged

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 16, 2016 04:34 PM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not Kodak, but I found this announcement/advert on Facebook today
"Hello, I would like to present our motion picture lab Movie and Sound Firenze, located in Florence Italy,
We offer every kind of 8/S8/16/S16/35/S35mm lab services such as negative /positive color and B/W processing (also E6 and B/W reversal process), 16/35mm sound recording, color and B/W positive printing, 8/S8/9,5/16/S16/35/ S35mm telecine and scan, S8/16/35mm film recording, 8/S8/16mm to 16/35mm blow up and 35mm to S8/16mm reduction.
We are specialized in photochemical restoration of motion picture film and we have a line of dedicated High End motion picture equipment (BHP, Schmitzer, Oxberry wet gate and optical printer, CTM Debrie, Arri, Lipsner&Smith, Film Lab Color Master, Westrex recorder and dubbers) for all formats.
you can visit our page: https://www.facebook.com/movieandsoundfirenze/"

Mathew James
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 17, 2016 09:52 PM      Profile for Mathew James   Email Mathew James   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanx for that video Jean-Marc.
What a dream coming true!!

--------------------
--
Cheers,
Matt 📽

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted January 18, 2016 04:05 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting watch Jean-Marc.
The mike socket could have been a XLR type instead on a mini jack but hey ho. [Cool]

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted January 18, 2016 04:29 AM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lee, I suppose they wanted it more on the general public/user-friendly side. And it's easy to find XLR to Jack adapters. I personnaly use a Zoom H4n recording device for sound.

My guess is that the B-Type USB port will be for battery charging, the A-Type will be for sound transfer (in case you don't have a separate SD card reader), HDMI for an external monitor or connection to a recorder of some sort for digital back-up, both jack sockets at the bottom for sound monitoring and aux-out for external recording.

--------------------

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted January 18, 2016 06:48 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My Rode gun mike and Sennheiser radio mike would look rather splendid on the new Kodak. [Big Grin]

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted January 18, 2016 06:52 AM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
An excellent choice of weaponry, Sir... [Smile]

--------------------

Raleigh M. Christopher
Expert Film Handler

- posted January 21, 2016 05:38 PM      Profile for Raleigh M. Christopher     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
While I'm thrilled to know that Kodak will be producing a new Super 8mm camera, at the end of the day it's still all about digital and that's what's rather disappointing for me. Don't get me wrong I love this, but I'd be even happier if they also produced a new Regular 8/Super 8/Max 8 projector. Otherwise, for most users (if they use Kodak Vision 3) it still ends up as digital. If I shoot on negative, give me back the negative, and charge me extra if I want positive prints as well. Otherwise I might as well just shoot digital video and use a "filter" for the Super 8 look in post. I also am not really fond of the electronic viewfinder only set up. It would be nice to have an optical viewfinder in addition to the electronic one. Still, I'm glad this is happening. No, I'm elated this is hapening, actually, and the question about projectors was asked at CES, and it was said by the Kodak rep that a new projector was not ruled out.

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted January 21, 2016 06:50 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What intrigues me about it is the possibility of shooting sound.

I have a lot of sound films, but I've never made a film with anything more ambitious than a musical score.

-Just once it would be great to jump the gap and have lip-sync sound.

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Raleigh M. Christopher
Expert Film Handler

- posted January 21, 2016 06:54 PM      Profile for Raleigh M. Christopher     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
But you won't be able to project that sound, at least, not from film.

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted January 21, 2016 07:00 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Of course you will, if you have pulse sync capabilities.

Note to Steve.... time to upgrade your projector! A lover of the hobby like yourself, really needs to get pulse sync as soon as possible to get in the zone for whatever the future may soon offer.

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted January 21, 2016 07:11 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You would need reversal film.

-at the moment you can get Tri-X and Agfa 200D.

If I sprung for the cost of this camera, a sync capable projector wouldn't be too far behind.

--------------------

Raleigh M. Christopher
Expert Film Handler

- posted January 22, 2016 01:59 AM      Profile for Raleigh M. Christopher     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How does that work? No code is recorded on the film, is it?

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted January 22, 2016 04:15 AM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As sound is recorded digitally to the SD card, it can be easily transferred to a computer and synchronized to the final digital scan of the processed cartridge into a non linear editing software.
Even if some movies are still being shot on film, the postproduction workflow is being handled digitally.
I'm not sure Kodak think it should be different for super 8.

--------------------

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted January 22, 2016 07:28 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Just need a projector inventing now then with an SD card reader built in that synchronizes with the film as its projected.

Over to you Kodak [Wink]

--------------------

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted January 22, 2016 08:19 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Doug Meltzer does a lot of work with syncing up sound to silent prints. He's been taking silent Universal-8 digests, video recording them off the screen, cutting sound tracks from feature DVDs to sync up with the video and then recording the results on stripe on the film.

He showed several of these at CineSea, it was as good as any commercial recording I've ever seen (-or is that "heard"?).

about halfway down...

It seems to me if you had something very linear like 50 feet of film and the 2 1/2 minutes of sound that belong with it, this would be pretty easy compared to what Doug went through. Your greatest loss of sync would probably be whenever the camera started and had to get up to speed. You'd need to figure out how many milliseconds to subtract from the sound track at the beginning of every shot otherwise 10 shots in your sound would begin to lag your picture.

After that, you'd basically be left with the same thing you would have had if you shot a sound cartridge. You could edit it as you like. Things like inserting titles would get more complicated and of course you'd wind up fighting the 18 frame gap just like in the good old days.

Then again you could do non-linear editing of the footage and sound while you were also cutting and splicing on the editing bench and then lay down a track on the final cut.

-definitely a project!

--------------------

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted January 22, 2016 09:29 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
It would certainly make things a whole load easier if we could just have sound cartridges back, like we used to have!

--------------------

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted January 22, 2016 09:45 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't think so until I actually saw one being projected.

It was a lot more impressive than I would have ever imagined!

The thing is if I could shoot sound I actually wouldn't be out to make some great artistic epic, really just some footage of what our lives are like here and now. (You can call it "home movies" if you like.)

If I were a smarter teenager I would have gone for sound back then at the very start, but it wasn't even a thought. Few people I knew had movies at all and none of them had sound. This was just a theory that such things existed!

-Of course if I were a smarter teenager I would have been a pretty rare teenager!

--------------------

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted January 22, 2016 09:50 AM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Home movies" ? that's catchy... [Big Grin]

--------------------

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted January 22, 2016 09:50 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
-new idea I came up with! [Big Grin]

--------------------

Raleigh M. Christopher
Expert Film Handler

- posted January 22, 2016 09:51 AM      Profile for Raleigh M. Christopher     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
As sound is recorded digitally to the SD card, it can be easily transferred to a computer and synchronized to the final digital scan of the processed cartridge into a non linear editing software.
Even if some movies are still being shot on film, the postproduction workflow is being handled digitally.
I'm not sure Kodak think it should be different for super 8.

That's my point, you wouldn't be able to project the sound from the film.

Paul Suchy
Expert Film Handler

- posted January 23, 2016 07:59 AM      Profile for Paul Suchy   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Suchy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
15 years ago, I was buying the last Bonum reels from a local camera store. The owner wanted to give me their sound striper, and I told him I would have no use for it. If I could only have seen into the future...
Dear Steve-Last century, I was so excited to change over to super 8 sound home movies, yet after the first few cartridges, I realized no one had anything remotely interesting to say and the thrill was mostly visual. With sound, I had to limit myself to longer shots unless I wanted to redub the choppy sound and coaching friends and family to speak as well as move was just too much. I have seen some really well done sound home movies, none of which are mine.

--------------------
Paul Suchy

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted January 23, 2016 09:50 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
The home made sound films from a Canon I used to use were really good. I don't mean I was the next Spielberg, I just mean the quality of the live sound was on parity with that of the image.
I took nearly 1200ft of sound film with me on my first Honeymoon in Florida and because the whole theme park scene is geared up for photographic magic, this is one film I have that I cherish its content as high if not higher, than any other from my entire collection.
I spent an age editing the soundtrack once back home but it was well worth the effort put in.
I only wished I had the machines I have now to have done an even more professional job on it, but the live sound was really excellent from the cameras built in boom microphone.

Incidentally, this all happened in 93 and I did not see one other cine camera anywhere in use throughout the three week duration.
Camcorders only, everywhere!
I had a Sony TRV but I left it at home thankfully.
All I would have had would be some awful quality VHS video cassette now had I had gone mainstream at the time.

--------------------

Paul Suchy
Expert Film Handler

- posted January 23, 2016 10:30 AM      Profile for Paul Suchy   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Suchy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds wonderful, Andrew; you avoided the trend and went your own way, and you still have a beautiful rendition of your honeymoon!

--------------------
Paul Suchy

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted January 23, 2016 10:48 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes Paul, I don't have the wife any longer but I do have the film! Ha ha ha [Wink]

--------------------

All times are Central
This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC