8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » The worst VS I have ever had (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: The worst VS I have ever had
Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted January 06, 2016 09:28 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I opened my Robin Hood (3x400') stored in its original plastic case, and found it has VS with no picture left on the cells:

-

I thought VS will only make film wrapped, but this one is even worst. You can see nothing on the cells, make it just like a film leader...while I took it from the middle of the reel... [Mad]

Have you ever got this experience?

--------------------
Winbert

|  IP: Logged

Terry Sills
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 07, 2016 01:45 AM      Profile for Terry Sills     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have had films with VS but nothing like that. Absolutely nothing anyone can do about a film in this condition. Get it away from the rest of your film and destroy it. Personally I would burn it.

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted January 07, 2016 02:31 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Winbert
It could be due partly to where you live.
Today in Jakarta the temperature is 35C, today in Bristol it is 10C.

--------------------
Maurice

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted January 07, 2016 04:35 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Terrible picture !

--------------------
Dominique

Gary Crawford
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 07, 2016 06:36 AM      Profile for Gary Crawford     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Are we sure that it's really vinegar and not some other form of decomposition? For such a recent film print,comparatively, it's almost inconceivable that there would be that kind of decomp. I have had 16mm prints that were over 50 years old get vinegar...but this is like nothing I've ever seen. It looks almost like nitrate prints I've seen that were down to almost jelly. Long exposure to water somewhere along the line might cause it.... it's just hard to believe that it's only vinegar syndrome on such a relatively young print. I've seen 16mm prints after they have been stored in an unairconditioned storage unit in hot Florida for 20 years...and the ones that had problems were NOTHING like what you are showing.
Very odd. Hopefully the real reel experts can deduce the problem. Maybe it IS vinegar, but .....wow.!!!!

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted January 07, 2016 10:00 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Gary, this film has experienced somekind of abnormal abuse sometime in its life. I have seen film that has been stored in hot sheds in Florida, and although faded and shrunk they show nothing like this.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Dave Groves
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 07, 2016 10:05 AM      Profile for Dave Groves     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does it have the usual VS smell? I've been collecting and exhibiting films for over 50 years and never seen anything like that.

--------------------
Dave

Bill Phelps
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 07, 2016 11:25 AM      Profile for Bill Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe that is water damage....I have some old 8mm films that have had some water damage and the image has been wiped off the films.

I also have some VS 16mm and they look ok other than warp and terrible smell.

Bill [Smile]

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted January 07, 2016 12:09 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Our old friend Gary Brocklehurst told me he had rarely to never seen a Super-8 print with VS because most of 'em aren't printed on acetate.

So the stink is the thing!

-does it smell like a salad?

This could be an exception to Brocklehurst's Law!
Murphy's Law is still safe! (-always will be!)

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted January 07, 2016 12:19 PM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Looks like holes, almost as if the print was "burned", so to speak - If the rest of it is this way, there is nothing that can be done - Make sure your other prints are okay - I can't think of any solution, except to say the weather (humidity) might have played into this - Cheers, Shorty

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted January 07, 2016 12:37 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Winbert ...

Aren't you the fellow who also had the AGFA print of the 400ft "Raider of the Lost Ark" (400ft digest), that went bad as well?

If so, I wonder if it's something in you're actual home environment that could be the cause? That's never a pleasant thought, but could there be some kind of chemical being released by something in the house that, while it hasn't harmed you per se (good heavens, let us hope not!), yet, those self-same chemicals could have an obviously detrimental effect on film?

I'd have no idea as to what, insulations, chemicals from paint used in the house?

I certainly don't want to alarm you in a bad way, but it's the only thing that makes sense to me.

OSI

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Vidar Olavesen
Film God

- posted January 07, 2016 01:02 PM      Profile for Vidar Olavesen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That was probably my print Osi. I have three films with VS but they have more or less stopped smelling. One of them was really bad smelling when I got it. Been lying on my speaker for three years and now I can hardly smell vinegar at all

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted January 07, 2016 01:20 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello, Vidar. Glad to see you posting. Hope you feel better. I heard you were not healthy lately. To come back to the topic, whant do you mean by "Been lying on my speaker for three years..." ?

--------------------
Dominique

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted January 08, 2016 01:15 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Guys thanks for the comments. below is the facts:

1. It was bought from Germany
2. Released by UFA
3. Printed on Kodak (acetate)
4. It was in color
5. Housed on UFA plastic case type.
6. It was stored with other UFA films, other seem to be OK
7. It did smell VS
8. Two years ago tt was shrunk and wrapped like other VS contaminated films and then came to like this yesterday
9. All three reels showed the same situation
10. They were dry (not got wet for any reason)

So I guess with those facts above, I can summarize UFA had printed some films with different formulas that may have been like mine if it gets VS.

--------------------
Winbert

Vidar Olavesen
Film God

- posted January 08, 2016 07:03 AM      Profile for Vidar Olavesen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Dominique, yes my health hasn't been too good. Had a brainstroke and not all back yet.

I mean I bought the 16mm print three years ago and ran it once when I got it. Smelled horrible. I just kept the box open on my speaker and now it doesn't smell much at all. Norway is cold, not sure that has anything to do with it. It still might be too dry or warping (not seeing anything wrong with it thought). How do you treat your VS prints? Closed in a box or open? The speakers magnetism shouldn't be anything, but weird that it stopped smelling

Christian Schatz
Film Handler

- posted January 08, 2016 08:35 AM      Profile for Christian Schatz   Email Christian Schatz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Last stage of decomposition on an acetate print infected with VS.

--------------------
KINOTON FP30D w/ 1kW Xenon & FP30 w/ 1.6kW Xenon
BAUER SONOLUX II w/ 36V/400W Halogen
CARL ZEISS TK35/52 w/ 36V/400W Halogen
ELMO ST-1200D M&O 24V/250W Mod with Schneider Lens 1.1 / 11-25

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted January 08, 2016 09:13 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I put the only VS print I have in the bathroom as it is the only place without films where I live. The film is still on the reel but not boxed (before it was in a plastic can). I cleaned the film several times with Filmguard and once with alcool but the smell is still there (nice when I brush my teeth). I wanted to try a wipe with Feebreze but I couldn't find that in Belgium.

--------------------
Dominique

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted January 08, 2016 12:16 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good heavens Vidar! Good to hear that you are on the mend! We missed ya, good man!

--------------------

Jonathan Trevithick
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 09, 2016 08:39 AM      Profile for Jonathan Trevithick   Email Jonathan Trevithick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I once came across some 35mm film in an old movie theatre's projection box which looked like this. It stank of VS. However, the contents were much older than your film, Winbert.

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted January 10, 2016 04:30 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i never heard a super 8 print getting VS.

Timothy Ramzyk
Expert Film Handler

- posted January 21, 2016 12:42 AM      Profile for Timothy Ramzyk   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They do, I have a little rascals 50' reel and a 20 Million Mile To Earth 200' digest that reek on vinegar and are warped.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted January 21, 2016 11:00 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've never had a super 8 print with VS, but I have had the rare standard 8mm print with VS.

--------------------

Timothy Ramzyk
Expert Film Handler

- posted January 21, 2016 03:21 PM      Profile for Timothy Ramzyk   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Perhaps, it's a matter of more 8mm being older than Super 8mm?

Acetate is acetate, made of cellulose which gives off acetic acid as it breaks down, so the gauge shouldn't have much to do with it unless wider gauges trap more air VS surface area when wound on a reel, allowing less gas to escape. That and the bigger gauges are more likely to be stored in air-tight cans.

My guess is that all prints are slowly breaking down, but that some things accelerate the process. Warm, humid storage, bad initial processing, and air tight storage resulting in the build-up of acetic fumes. I know my 16mm collectors now religiously drill vents in their film-cans, and quarantine all effected prints.

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted January 21, 2016 03:30 PM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I was wrong again, as there are 8mm prints which suffer the fate as other gaugaes - I still feel cardborad boxes are the way to go - Storage is air-filled enough, even in hotter weather, just keep everything at a cool temperature - At least, I've had on-going success this way for years - Shorty

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted January 21, 2016 04:09 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Most commercial Super-8 prints are on polyester base, which is entirely immune.

-but...

All of our Kodak home movies are on acetate. Being that they are impossible to replace once they go, this is a real problem.

-great for splicing, but more mortal than we'd like.

I moved all of mine out of steel cans years ago.

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC