8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » 70s Monster Memories -8mm

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: 70s Monster Memories -8mm
Timothy Ramzyk
Expert Film Handler

- posted January 19, 2016 12:51 PM      Profile for Timothy Ramzyk   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, what went around comes around, at least in terms of horror nostalgia. If you life the UK, 70s MONSTER MEMORIES is a mammoth pictorial of all things horror from the 70s. Among the expected Aurora models, monster dolls and whatnot is a fairly lengthy (ten page) chapter devoted to horror on super 8 digests. It's a pretty fun book in general, but thus far has not received US distribution.

-

|  IP: Logged

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted January 19, 2016 01:11 PM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Then where'd you get it?

Timothy Ramzyk
Expert Film Handler

- posted January 19, 2016 07:19 PM      Profile for Timothy Ramzyk   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had some input in the 8mm section, and provided imagery, so much to my surprise and delight they shipped me the book. Initially the 8mm chapter was to be an article in a issue of Cinema Retro, then they got this book off the ground and included it as a section.

It's a BIG book, so the shipping is rather cost prohibitive, but I know many on this board are in the UK and EU, so it would easier for them to obtain.

Here's link that provides expanded info on the project.
http://webelongdead.co.uk/70s-monster-memories-book-available-to-order-now/

By the way, I should say I am in no compensated for the sales of this book, other than the publishers generosity in sending me a copy for my meager contribution.

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted January 20, 2016 05:45 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Its nice to have these nostalgic books out and about but it would be even better if they mentioned many collectors are still bolstering collections today and new 8mm prints are still available such as Ghost of Frankenstein.

Incidentally I still have and read my Denis Gifford Horror Movies book shown on the site secured from a London train station newsagent in 1973 ouch! As a boy used to keep it with my Universal 8mm movies permanently and still do.
 -

Timothy Ramzyk
Expert Film Handler

- posted January 20, 2016 12:40 PM      Profile for Timothy Ramzyk   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Its nice to have these nostalgic books out and about but it would be even better if they mentioned many collectors are still bolstering collections today and new 8mm prints are still available such as Ghost of Frankenstein.
I would suppose the onus for that now largely rests on the backs of those carrying the torch, in some ways similar to the way it did with vinyl. Throughout these books it's almost a foregone conclusion that through Ebay and various web entities that there is a secondary market for all things collectible. The issue with 8mm is that it always was (at least in the US) a very niche-market. Everyone had a turntable and records, some had family projectors and home movies, but I anecdotally, I can say I was probably the only kid I knew who had films and my own projector. I'm sure there were more, the library had digests and the Blackhawk collection for loan, and I didn't know all my peers, but there were probably only a handful.

Though this book mentions the progression of 8mm from digest to eventual features, many nostalgia pieces often don't. Probably just due to the the comparatively small numbers in which the were originally produced and released in the hundreds and not the thousands or even tens-of-thousands of more commonplace media.

I remember by the time I got the Dennis Gifford book (early 80s), which has an extensive 8mm index in the back, all I could do was be envious about all the titles that were already no longer available. Some, like WHATEVER HAPPENED TO BABY JANE?, to this day I've never run across.

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted January 20, 2016 02:56 PM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was also one of the "oddball" kids, who was colelcting the little films (which is how I got the moniker of "Shorty"), and I must have checked out every L&H and Chaplin print from the local library - True, it is a select (niche) market, though we have yet to have a book or paper on values in these commodities, boxed or not and condition - Anyway, your card sets made it all the better - Cheers, Shorty

Timothy Ramzyk
Expert Film Handler

- posted January 20, 2016 03:08 PM      Profile for Timothy Ramzyk   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Shorty. I'd love to have a book that took on 8mm in depth and covered displayed art, compiled lists and gave backgrounds on various companies. I'm not the man to do it, but I'd love to buy such a volume. I'd gladly offer my images to anyone attempting such a venture. Unfortunately I'm a horror geek and such are the limits of what i have to give.

One of the neatest trends on German DVD imports of horror films like HORROR EXPRESS, TORTURE CHAMBER OF DR. SADISM, COUNT DRACULA has been to include the 8mm digest as an extra. So I suspect 8mm is more in the hearts memories of some European collectors than in the US.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC