8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » 1080 vs 2K Scan

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: 1080 vs 2K Scan
Tom Dee
Film Handler

- posted January 25, 2016 12:11 PM      Profile for Tom Dee   Email Tom Dee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Like most of the people on here at some time or another have probably shot super 8mm film, and still have thoses precious memories captured for life!! I am thinking of getting mine done from a company that can do it for a good price,and is local to where I live.(none of my movies getting lost in transit) I know 2K has more information on that scan then 1080p does, my question is..should I pay more for the 2K even though its only a 8mm frame..if it was 16 or 35 yes definitely would be a better option, because of the size of the super 8mm frame there is only so far it can go before it does lose quality regardless of the scan quality. Any feed back on this would be appreciated.

Thanks
Tom

|  IP: Logged

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted January 25, 2016 01:26 PM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The 2K image size is 2048x1080, HD (what you call 1080p) is 1920x1080. Height is the same. 2K features a wider image of 1.9 ratio and (in the digital cinema world) a different colour depth not being handled by home cinema equipment (unless you want to include your super 8 footage into a film project to be eventually screened in cinemas).
Once transfered, your super 8 image, at best, will occupy a 1440x1080 pixels area. So, unless you really need it, just go with HD, not 2K.

--------------------
The Grindcave Cinema Website

Raleigh M. Christopher
Expert Film Handler

- posted January 25, 2016 01:36 PM      Profile for Raleigh M. Christopher     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wish when the standard for HDTV was conceived, it was set at 1.85, instead of 1.77.

Marc Marti
Film Handler

- posted January 25, 2016 01:43 PM      Profile for Marc Marti   Email Marc Marti   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jean-Marc is right, but that 2K image size is only the standard for projection.
If you scan 4:3 super-8 film at 2K, as we did on a recent short film, it will be delivered on 2048x1556, bigger than current 1080p.
Is it worth it anyway? Well, there's not much more detail to capture than a 1080p transfer, but the truth is that it will upscale better into 4K in the near future.

--------------------
Marc

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC