8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Choosing Films

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Choosing Films
Phil Betts
Junior

- posted February 01, 2016 02:19 PM      Profile for Phil Betts   Email Phil Betts   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm gonna jump right in here. Mostly when I Google an 8mm topic it ends up here so...

What will be my best sources of old films? I l love Laurel and Hardy and especially love Buster Keaton. Are there brands to avoid (assuming everything is a copy)? I would love to focus on this era and let the collection grow from there.

Thanks!

--------------------
I don't feel like an old man. I feel like a young man with something wrong.

|  IP: Logged

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted February 01, 2016 02:47 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Blackhawk produce some of the best prints from this era I'm led to believe but look also at some Walton prints. They can be very good in my limited experience with these type of films.

Some Collectors Club prints may well be of interest to you also Phil.

Others will know far more than I ever will in regard to older b/w prints.

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Joseph Randall
Master Film Handler

- posted February 01, 2016 04:37 PM      Profile for Joseph Randall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Blackhawk L&Hs are generally complete, while I've heard that Waltons are slightly edited. I say "generally" since most had at least part of the main titles replaced, and some weren't available in any more copmlete versions at the time they were released (e.g. BATTLE OF THE CENTURY, PACK UP YOUR TROUBLES.)

Buster Keaton Blackhawks are very nice, though only a handful were available. COPS is not complete, though the footage missing was edited out of most prints when it was re-issued. Niles overlapped some of the Blackhawks, but also had a few titles not available from Blackhawk. Picture quality from Niles can be below average with soft focus and bad contrast.

Enrique Bouchard released some Keatons, mostly the independent features. I have a print of SHERLOCK JR. that was sold to me as a Bouchard, although there is nothing on the film to indicate this fact. Picture quality is acceptable, closer to Niles than Blackhawk.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC