8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » CineSea 13 April 30th! (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: CineSea 13 April 30th!
Guy Taylor, Jr.
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 12, 2016 06:23 AM      Profile for Guy Taylor, Jr.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Also Uncle Bill's Pancakes; a great breakfast restaurant on Pacific Avenue . I always get the cream chipped beef. We don't have that in the South.

--------------------
Guy Taylor

|  IP: Logged

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted February 12, 2016 06:40 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Uncle Bill" reminds me an American tv show from the 60's "Family Affair" that was translated in French by "Cher oncle Bill" (Dear Uncle Bill) :-)

--------------------
Dominique

Todd N. Tuckey
Film Handler

- posted March 01, 2016 06:45 PM      Profile for Todd N. Tuckey   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tammy and I are looking forward to the show this year...I just booked our room...(My wife and other daughter cannot come---they are committed to a party they are hosting that Saturday night and were so disappointed as they had so much fun last Fal...BUT, they will come back NEXT Fall for sure! Todd Tuckey

--------------------
Todd N. Tuckey

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted March 02, 2016 10:48 AM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Y'all heard what the Big Todd-AO said..They are a' comin! - Shorty thinks that's a good thing

Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted March 02, 2016 12:54 PM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well that's just tuckey ain't it? I hope to be there myself! [Cool]

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted March 02, 2016 03:12 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It would be great to see you there once again, Pat!

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted March 11, 2016 12:16 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Came across this short Super8 film on you-tube of your convention [Cool]
https://youtu.be/1KZh8Jw3iqo

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted March 11, 2016 12:29 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's interesting, Graham!

It looks like the raw footage that went into Claus Harding's CineSea promotional video:

Cinesea Spring 2012

It is either the Spring or Fall CineSea of 2010 (#2 or #3): either the first one at the Ocean Holiday or John Black's last before he passed away.

Some notable cast members:

Tom Stathes (pac-man shirt)
Doug Meltzer (tan shirt)
Lou Franchetti (orange shirt)
John Black (light blue shirt)
Shorty Caruso (dark blue shirt)

This is either of two early ones I missed, so I have no idea at all what shirt I had on that day!

It's interesting how things have changed: this is a definitely smaller/quieter CineSea than we have now. It is a lot more active room these days.

It was also atypically warm then: we are more often in sweatshirts and I've seen it go as far as gloves and wool hats!

If it is #3, it came very close to being "CineSea Last", but people appreciated what John and Shorty were trying to do and took up their mission. It was "let's do it one more time for John.", but just kept going.

--------------------

Evan Samaras
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 11, 2016 01:23 PM      Profile for Evan Samaras   Author's Homepage   Email Evan Samaras   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just closed my room =D

My room mate has been very interested in my projecting activities and decided to come along as well!

--------------------
...When there's no more room in hell, the dead will walk the Earth...

James N. Savage 3
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 22, 2016 08:34 AM      Profile for James N. Savage 3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cinesea is such a wonderful gathering of great folks sharing their passion for film & collecting.

I hope to make it there this year! And the Wildwood/beach location is an added bonus!

Thank you Doug, Shorty, & all that work hard to bring this event back every year.

James.

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted March 22, 2016 10:55 AM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If I could just beam myself to the East coast I would join you all at Cinesea. Since that is highly improbable [Smile] I'll just wish you all a great time....AND PARTY ON!

--------------------
Janice

"I'm having a very good day!"
Richard Dreyfuss - Let It Ride (1989).

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted March 22, 2016 05:19 PM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John was tops, will always carry the mantle of this nice show - Bless him - Everyone far and wide, please join us, our overseas collector friends, we would love to learn more and discuss film and buy/sell/trade - Cheers all, Shorty

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted March 22, 2016 07:03 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was there at the very first and I thanked John for what he'd done. I'm glad I got that chance!

I'll always remember that trip. The car I had at the time was over 20 years old and I didn't trust it for a trip that far so I rented a budget edition Hyundai: it was tiny, plasticky and noisy, but at least it wasn't old enough to vote and I felt I could depend on it.

I headed down the Jersey Shore into territory unknown. I was breaking the internet-barrier: people I'd only heard of, but never really met. Was it curiosity or a sense of adventure, or maybe just the sense that having a hobby is naturally better when it's social too!

I approached that room and I heard a sound: a small gauge projector pounding away at 24FPS. Since I'd graduated from High School this had gradually become MY sound: since I seemed to be the only person left in the world that made that sound anymore. That day it was their sound too, and soon it became OUR sound.

The highlight for me that weekend was dinner out: nothing fancy, just a nice little Italian place around the corner from the hotel. It was Doug and Shorty and John Cappazzo and Tom Stathes and his girlfriend. The food was great, the talk even greater.

I bought exactly one print that time: a Blackhawk "Live Ghost". To this day I consider it a souvenir since my mission going there wasn't really to buy films. In years since I've gotten a lot more and a lot nicer, but I still go mostly to enjoy the weekend.

I look back on that first time kind of nostalgically, but to be honest what we have now is even better: more activity, more people, more films for sale and two great film shows.

--------------------

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 25, 2016 11:23 AM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve Klare said
quote:
Our reigning Distance Champion is Paul Oscar who attended from Iceland...twice!
While I applaud Paul, let's not be so quick to crown a champion, as believe it or not Los Angeles may be slightly further, albeit less exotic. [Razz]

--------------------
"You're too Far Out Miss Lawrence"

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted March 25, 2016 11:46 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's a lot closer than I would ever have guessed!

Flight Distance Reykjavik, Iceland to Wildwood, NJ

2,740 miles

Flight Distance Los Angeles to Wildwood, NJ

2,418 miles

Flight Distance Calculator

Paul came kind of by accident the first time, he was going to be in New York anyway.

-the second time it was actually on purpose!

--------------------

Douglas Meltzer

- posted March 25, 2016 01:36 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
However......since Paul flew into New York, let's compare:

LA to NY: 2787 miles

Reykjavik to NY: 2617 miles

No matter which way you look at it, thank you all for coming!

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted March 25, 2016 01:55 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ah!

-A measurement problem!

Is it total travel distance or net travel distance?

(What is the flight speed of an African swallow?) [Wink]

--------------------

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 25, 2016 02:21 PM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK, honorable mentions all around then as I flew into NY and drove to Wildwood as well......Would love to come again someday....

--------------------
"You're too Far Out Miss Lawrence"

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted March 25, 2016 02:37 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You came to one of the few I missed, so I didn't get to see 9.5mm at the Sea Theater.

-I regret that!

We haven't heard how the Sea weathered that last big storm. Wildwood got hit pretty hard: I hope it's OK.

--------------------

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted March 25, 2016 05:49 PM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We should try and get that downtown theatre "active" again - Dino, you're welcome always - Driving distance from North Jersey to South; 3 hours and ten minutes - Guess I'm the Shorty-est

Patrick Walsh
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 26, 2016 06:20 AM      Profile for Patrick Walsh   Email Patrick Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think I might come later in the year for your next Cinesea.

--------------------
"Raise The Titanic!", It would of been cheaper to lower the Atlantic!

Guy Taylor, Jr.
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 26, 2016 08:03 AM      Profile for Guy Taylor, Jr.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I believe that I own the road trip distance . Been there twice; planning to again this October.

--------------------
Guy Taylor

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted March 26, 2016 06:28 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Spring CineSea and the Fall are pretty much the same animal: differences are few and very subtle.

For example if the phone in your room doesn't work, it must be Spring because they have been sitting unused for 5 months and the switch contacts are oxidized from the salt air. (Either ask the front desk or work 'em like the recording key on an abandoned Elmo!)

-on the other hand if you are out to breakfast and the waitress offers extra helpings free it means the restaurant is closing for the season: it must be Fall!

Green, cold swimming pool: Spring
Blue, cold swimming pool: Fall

The weather on average is what kinder people might call "brisk" at either time of the year. You can tell where people are from on the walk up to breakfast: the further south they live, the more arctic their outerwear!

There are exceptions: I'd say we've had at least two that it was actually warm or even hot. You need to allow for this possibility when you are packing or end up coming home with a "Wildwood, New Jersey" T shirt!

[ March 26, 2016, 08:27 PM: Message edited by: Steve Klare ]

--------------------

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted March 30, 2016 08:02 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oft thought about it myself Dom, I think the nearest airport to it is Philadelphia, not sure how to get there after that.

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted March 30, 2016 08:15 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The nearest airport is Atlantic City (30 miles away?), but I'm not sure if there are international flights there.

If either of you got yourselves Stateside (not for example: Utah!...closer than that!), we would get you the rest of the way there for sure!

--------------------

All times are Central
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC