8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Kodak's New Super 8 Camera (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Kodak's New Super 8 Camera
Raleigh M. Christopher
Expert Film Handler

- posted June 08, 2016 10:49 PM      Profile for Raleigh M. Christopher     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kodak still can't spell PANCHROMATIC. They took the bloody video down to correct all the spelling errors, and they fixed all of them except "panchromatic" They are still spelling it "panochromatic" Kodak should know how to spell that word correctly.

|  IP: Logged

John Hermes
Expert Film Handler

- posted June 08, 2016 11:55 PM      Profile for John Hermes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Kodak still can't spell PANCHROMATIC. They took the bloody video down to correct all the spelling errors, and they fixed all of them except "panchromatic" They are still spelling it "panochromatic" Kodak should know how to spell that word correctly."

Too bad they don't have the opportunity to spell Kodachrome correctly. [Frown]

--------------------
John Hermes

Raleigh M. Christopher
Expert Film Handler

- posted June 09, 2016 01:04 PM      Profile for Raleigh M. Christopher     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kodak also can't spell the word "emulsion". In another video, they spell it "emultion." Very very embarrassing for them.

Tom Spielman
Master Film Handler

- posted August 08, 2016 04:07 PM      Profile for Tom Spielman   Email Tom Spielman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't signed up for Kodak's mailing list. I'm wondering if there is any recent information on a release date.

There's been more than a few people saying that what they showed at CES was basically a prop. I'm a little worried this new camera will never see the light of day.

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted August 08, 2016 05:24 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
It's certainly looking like a market prop just to test the water.

I hope i'm wrong though.

I hope this doesn't apply to Ferannia???

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted September 07, 2016 01:23 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If I'm not mistaking, Kodak announced the camera for the Autumn so it is not surprising that nothing has been put on the market, yet. Ferrania is, frustratingly (if that word exists) slow (and not very good in commication) but they have just put an encouraging video on the net : https://vimeo.com/181814501

--------------------
Dominique

Tom Spielman
Master Film Handler

- posted September 07, 2016 04:15 PM      Profile for Tom Spielman   Email Tom Spielman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wouldn't expect Kodak to release anything before they said they would. However, I'd expect some news, and there's been nothing. They successfully made a splash and created buzz at CES way back in January. You'd think they'd want to maintain that buzz so when the product actually comes out, there will be a market ready and waiting for it.

Given that they haven't said much since, I suspect they aren't anywhere close to releasing an actual product. If they were to be able to release anything this fall, there would be fully functioning prototypes and test units by now, but there's no evidence that those exist.

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted September 07, 2016 04:27 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tom, what you say is logical but the film market doesn't seem to be like that. CHC doesn't promote much their new releases nor theit projects. Some filmstock manufacturers neither. I don't know why (though I suspect, in the case of filmstock, they cannot manufacture enough for a big demand).

--------------------
Dominique

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted October 19, 2016 02:02 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kodak’s global chief marketing officer :"What the team didn’t expect was for Super 8 to chalk up 5000 pre-orders and become a volume product program. “Super 8 turned out to be a far bigger hit not only with consumers who became aware of it, but also in the motion picture industry and among film schools,” he says. “We didn’t think interest would scale the way it has.” http://htl.li/lMkT305l6IB

--------------------
Dominique

Mathew James
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 19, 2016 03:28 PM      Profile for Mathew James   Email Mathew James   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
well i'll be....

I thought for sure the silence would be bad news...but au contraire, they have been sideswiped with pre-orders and good interest... very promising afterall... Thanx for the update Dominique!

--------------------
--
Cheers,
Matt 📽

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted October 19, 2016 04:09 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
"What the team didn’t expect was for Super 8 to chalk up 5000 pre-orders and become a volume product program.
What was old actually HAS become new again!

-how 'bout some color reversal, guys?

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Tom Spielman
Master Film Handler

- posted October 19, 2016 04:29 PM      Profile for Tom Spielman   Email Tom Spielman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like good news. But when is it coming?

Tomorrow they're releasing a phone? Does it double as a film camera? [Confused]

Melvin England
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 19, 2016 05:37 PM      Profile for Melvin England     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve...... reversal WITH processing!

--------------------
"My name is for my friends!"

Tom Spielman
Master Film Handler

- posted October 20, 2016 12:13 PM      Profile for Tom Spielman   Email Tom Spielman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Today's announcement was indeed a smartphone, - one that promotes the camera as its main feature. It has kind of a retro camera look:

http://www.theverge.com/2016/10/20/13333632/kodak-phone-ektra-bullitt

It also comes with an app that lets you order prints from Kodak.

Will go on sale in Europe late this year and will possibly be introduced in the US next year.

Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 20, 2016 04:14 PM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Seriously?...OMG...are they just trying to go bankrupt again...I mean, a smartphone? For real? One of the most competitive market places ever...but hey, it has a really cool camera...OMG!???

Oh, the once great Kodak... [Frown]

Too much Smoke & Mirrors from the Big K this year...

All really too weird I'm afraid...
[Confused]

Tom Spielman
Master Film Handler

- posted October 20, 2016 08:44 PM      Profile for Tom Spielman   Email Tom Spielman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have to admit that I'm also disappointed Rob. I could not understand why Kodak would be releasing a smart phone, especially after their first one was pretty unsuccessful.

After giving it some thought however, it does make a bit of sense. If Kodak wants to be a player in the world of consumer imaging, they almost need to have a smart phone on the market. I say that because the vast majority of photos and videos produced today are likely created on a phone.

That doesn't mean that this product or any Kodak phone will be a success but they don't seem to have any expectations of being dominant in this market. They hope this phone will appeal to photographers. I don't know if it will or if won't, but I will say that it has a unique look that will make it stand out. If some people see their phones partly as fashion accessory or a conversation piece, then I can see this one generating some interest.

So while it's definitely not the kind of announcement I was hoping for, I wish them good luck.

[ October 21, 2016, 12:25 AM: Message edited by: Tom Spielman ]

Mathew James
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 20, 2016 09:47 PM      Profile for Mathew James   Email Mathew James   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think the camera/phone is a smart move.... The brand has lost some notoriety and this is a good way to recapture the 'brand' sense...reminding people that they were once a huge player in the camera/movie industry.
Once the brand is reestablished, others products will make more sense to introduce..like the super 8 camera. I can't see them selling alot of those phones, but who knows... I do like the retro look as well.

--------------------
--
Cheers,
Matt 📽

Tom Spielman
Master Film Handler

- posted October 21, 2016 09:42 AM      Profile for Tom Spielman   Email Tom Spielman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd be a bit worried about scratching up that lens over time by keeping the phone in my pocket. I'd not want to have to slip it into a case all the time.

On the other hand, the shutter button is a nice idea. I know you can usually use the volume buttons as shutter releases on other phones but they typically require a firmer push than I'd like. It also sounds like Kodak includes a couple of nice apps that give you manual control over the camera and photo editing abilities.

John Hourigan
Master Film Handler

- posted October 21, 2016 11:01 AM      Profile for John Hourigan   Email John Hourigan       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Rob 100 percent.

Also, Kodak has had a good run, dating back to 1888, but time marches on -- as it has for some other struggling long-timers who also didn't change early enough to remain relevant, such as Sears (1886), K-Mart (1899), Montgomery Ward (1872), etc., etc.

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 21, 2016 11:19 AM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well from what I read in a newspaper, it certainly has a high spec. camera 21mega pixel and 4K video. Of course that doesn't automatically lead to good results, it will have to be good to sell.

All times are Central
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC