8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Conversion Service

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Conversion Service
Phil Betts
Junior

- posted February 23, 2016 02:05 PM      Profile for Phil Betts   Email Phil Betts   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was looking at local film services and came across this.

http://www.mastercomputerandvideo.com/

I asked why they didn't have any contact info on their site and if they were local.

Email responses...condensed and censored -

1st email - "Because it's not going to happen in your funky little town" (Minneapolis)

2nd email - "Take it to Costco…
They'll lose them… or **** them up!
Old slow foot up your *** , cranky old ***** !
they only been in the closet for 50 to 70 ***** years.
and that's where they are going to stay !!"

I'd avoid them if you see them online LOL!

--------------------
I don't feel like an old man. I feel like a young man with something wrong.

|  IP: Logged

Bill Phelps
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 23, 2016 05:20 PM      Profile for Bill Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Looking at the site they seem fairly proud of themselves. Judging from the emails you received I wouldn't bother with them either.

Bill [Smile]

Barry Fritz
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 23, 2016 06:14 PM      Profile for Barry Fritz   Email Barry Fritz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Unbelievable language! I am always suspicious of businesses that have no information about their location? There is no address, phone number or email address. Also no price sheet. Apparently his name is Bob Austin.

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted February 23, 2016 06:24 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's what passes for "professionalism" these days!

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

John Hermes
Expert Film Handler

- posted February 23, 2016 09:18 PM      Profile for John Hermes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have been transferring films since about 1985. I like how this guy takes the worst case scenario for the "before" versions. Geeze. They have the look of Uncle Charlie taping them off the bedroom wall versus any kind of legitimate transfer service. Those scratches look phony too, similar to the "old film look" filter in a video editing program. "16 x 9 widescreen HD format (no other company does this)" - I hope the guy does not actually crop 4x3 images to 16x9!!

--------------------
John Hermes

Phil Betts
Junior

- posted February 24, 2016 07:51 AM      Profile for Phil Betts   Email Phil Betts   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
2 more emails, even more abusive and vulgar. I won't share [Smile] Must have been having a bad day LOL!

--------------------
I don't feel like an old man. I feel like a young man with something wrong.

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted February 24, 2016 08:02 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is the first question of their FAQ : #1 "We don't know what's on them, we want to look thru them" And that's their answer : "No need to "go thru them" you're not going to find a projector or a new bulb and on the slim chance you do, it will damage the films further. Film is much different than video tape today. Film was shot differently do to the Extreme crazy high cost of the film, back in the day. So...it was shot differently, with intent, purpose and a plan ahead of time. The subject matter repeats: Christmas, Easter, Birthday. The small 3' reels are only 3.5 to 4 minutes long. You could have a Christmas on just one reel or Easter on just one reel, but usually what I have seen for 25 years is Christmas, Easter, Birthday, The Zoo on one 3.5 minute reel...due again to the cost. On Film, there are no Blank spots, no junk and no long winded spots, at all. And you will never have more than one reel per event except Vacation, due to the cost. We have a way, if not labeled, to put Films in order (about 95% Accurate). (no other company does this)"

--------------------
Dominique

Phil Murat
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 24, 2016 10:51 AM      Profile for Phil Murat   Email Phil Murat   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
High,

Take the oportunity and have a look to that , if interested in extreme movie refurbishment :

http://www.cnc-aff.fr/internet_cnc/Home.aspx?Menu=MNU_ACCUEIL

http://www.ina.fr/video/5053857001013

Or transfering......
http://www.minutefacile.com/vie-pratique/vie-de-famille/3260-comment-donner-un-coup-de-neuf-a-vos-vieux-films/

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted February 24, 2016 04:54 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The third link leads to a video which had a large part hidden by an ad I cannot cancell.

--------------------
Dominique

William Olson
Master Film Handler

- posted February 24, 2016 06:33 PM      Profile for William Olson   Email William Olson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I came across this place second hand. I read some bad reviews and responded to one of the reviewers who had a particularly bad experience. He shared with me his email correspondence with this place. Their arrogance, apparent lack of intelligence and general ignorance about film and video is shocking. It's no wonder this place showed up on 8mm Forum's 'Hit' list.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC