8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » 18fps sound running at 24fps

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: 18fps sound running at 24fps
Jason Schmidt
Film Handler

- posted March 10, 2016 06:18 PM      Profile for Jason Schmidt   Email Jason Schmidt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is there such a thing as a sound film that is supposed to run at 18fps? Or are all sounds films 24fps?

If there are 18fps sound films, what happens if you play them at 24fps? Does the sound play at all?

|  IP: Logged

Zechariah Sporre
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 10, 2016 06:46 PM      Profile for Zechariah Sporre     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes there is. They aren't very common. The only ones i've had are a couple early 1900 blackhawk films with a music track and one homemade movie. They play but everything is a little fast and high pitched.

--------------------
There is a fine line between a hobby and a mental illness

Clinton Hunt
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 11, 2016 12:18 AM      Profile for Clinton Hunt   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In all of my large collection of Super 8 films I have only 2 that run at 18fps.
One is an official theme park film for Knots Berry Farm - it is silent.
The other is a demo film with sound for Sankyo super 8mm sound projectors,I was surprised when I first screened it as the sound was fast and high-pitched,and that's when i realized I had to change the speed from 24fps to 18fps.
They are around but quite rare I'm thinking!

--------------------
Cheers from me in New Zealand :-)

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted March 11, 2016 01:04 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jason, there is a thread titled : "Sound fps in Super 8" that contains some messages about the 18/24 fps speeds.

--------------------
Dominique

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted March 11, 2016 01:55 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Of course it depends very much on the preference of the filmmaker, but all of my sound home made films were produced at 18fps.

At 18fps, from a standard 50ft cartridge, you got a little over 3mins from each, to go to 24fps, the cartridge would only last 2.5 minutes.

Therefore, given these were over £15 each even in the 90's when I last shot sound film, it was expensive enough to produce anything worthwhile without further reducing the footage duration from each cartridge by shooting at 24fps!

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 11, 2016 04:34 AM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Weren't those Americom sound on flexidisc films adapted for 18 fps so they could be used with silent speed only projectors. Anyone who transferred the sound to stripe on those would have an 18 fps sound film.

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted March 11, 2016 06:02 AM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brian, you're correct, although I believe there are some very rare Amricom releases sold with (stripe) sound copies, so presumably these were 24 fps. It's unfortunate that the discs had sound 'slowed down' to match 18fps. Presumably the reason was because some silent projectors were only 18fps, although some must have also had 24fps?

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC