8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » New member with Bolex 18-5 problem (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: New member with Bolex 18-5 problem
Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted April 14, 2016 10:03 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tom
Are you sure that the contacts on your lamps have not corroded?. Do they have a white coating?
Lamps that have been in storage for a long time often get that way. The corrosion can be removed by gently scraping with an item such as a scalpel.

--------------------
Maurice

|  IP: Logged

Tom Riley
Junior

- posted April 14, 2016 10:48 AM      Profile for Tom Riley     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Everything looks great. What is the best way to test the spaceman bulb. Checking to see if my method is right.

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted April 14, 2016 11:47 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Set your meter to OHMS or CONTINUITY. Place one probe on the center contact of the bulb and the other probe on the bright metal barrel part. You should get a reading of some kind, which indicates that the filament is ok. No reading- then contacs are corroded or filament is broken.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Tom Riley
Junior

- posted April 14, 2016 12:09 PM      Profile for Tom Riley     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just what I have been doing. Looks like new lamp time. Called them and I was informed they were out of stock. Darn
Thanks

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted April 14, 2016 12:36 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Double check that you have your meter set right, and the probes in the right sockets, by placing the probe contacts together. You should get a continuity indication from the meter.

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade

Barry Fritz
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 14, 2016 12:40 PM      Profile for Barry Fritz   Email Barry Fritz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Most meters will beep when there is continuity. Pretty odd that all three lamps would be bad.

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted April 14, 2016 12:58 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree Barry, the chances of purchasing 3 bad lamps seems extremely remote. But of course we don't know where he bought them, maybe from some unscrupulous seller on ebay.
I am wondering if there is a failure scenario on the transformer, where it is capable of delivering 8 volts on an open circuit voltmeter check, but cannot deliver enough current to drive the lamp to illumination?

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade

Barry Fritz
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 14, 2016 03:44 PM      Profile for Barry Fritz   Email Barry Fritz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's possible I guess, but there is so little history of failures with these little projectors, I have never heard of that with them. First, Tom has to get a lamp that is absolutely known to be good. If it does not work in the projector, then further analysis is needed.

Tom Riley
Junior

- posted April 15, 2016 12:04 AM      Profile for Tom Riley     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I tested the lamps with 2 different meters a digital and a analog. Nothing. 1 lamp was the one that came with it and went after 10 films the other2 I picked up of Ebay for 25 bucks. So I ordered 2 new lamps tonight from another source that guys on the forum recommended. I will keep my fingers crossed! Thanks for the help and bearing with me.

Tom

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted April 16, 2016 05:40 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tom

Just a thought when your new lamps arrive don't fit them until you first check them with your ohm meter....just in case.

Tom Riley
Junior

- posted April 18, 2016 02:09 PM      Profile for Tom Riley     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Let there be Light!! I received the new lamps today and as Graham said check them for continuity. Did that and they did slipped her home and were back in action. Hard to believe they sent me 2 burnt out lamps. I will try emailing him and see if he will honor them. Again thanks for all the help and ideas. I have about 200 out movies to check out now!! I love success!
Tom

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted April 18, 2016 02:55 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Fantastic news Tom [Smile] glad things have worked out right in the end [Smile]

Barry Fritz
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 18, 2016 03:38 PM      Profile for Barry Fritz   Email Barry Fritz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good to hear!

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC