8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Repair to std 8mm film sprockets

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Repair to std 8mm film sprockets
Tim Murray
Junior

- posted April 07, 2016 01:01 PM      Profile for Tim Murray     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have some damaged std 8mm film where the sprocket hole has been damaged with a small nick now and again. This causes the film to lose its framing through the projector. If projector backwards it is fine. I guess that the best way to repair this would be with std 8mm splicing tape. Anyone have any other ideas or where best to buy good strong std 8mm splicing tape. Thanks

|  IP: Logged

James Wilson
Expert Film Handler

- posted April 07, 2016 01:07 PM      Profile for James Wilson   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Tim,

What I normally do is as you said run it backwards and record.
Then on the computer run it forward again, viola.

--------------------
James Wilson

Barry Fritz
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 07, 2016 01:19 PM      Profile for Barry Fritz   Email Barry Fritz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you only have a few every now and then, try the trim technique that works for occassional tears. Kinda hard to describe but it is done by snipping off the torn outside edge of the sprocket hole. Make two snips, one before hole and one after the hole. These should not be straight in from the hole, but shold be at an angle. Sort of like this >, with th wider part being at the edge of th film. Maybe some one else can explain it better or has a pic of a cut.

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted April 07, 2016 02:59 PM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think what Barry refers to is a Vee-Cut, but Tim's problem seems to be nicked perforations on their leading edge, where the claw does it pull down.
The best way to reinforce the damaged perforations is to use Kodak Presstapes.

--------------------
Maurice

Barry Fritz
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 07, 2016 03:05 PM      Profile for Barry Fritz   Email Barry Fritz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maurice is correct that Kodak Presstapes would be th best option. Be carefull as there are cheap knock-off Presstapes out there. On this side of the pond, Urbanski Film is a good vendor. Don't know where you might get them in the UK.

Mathew James
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 07, 2016 03:38 PM      Profile for Mathew James   Email Mathew James   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I use Kodak Presstapes as well! I'm getting better at sticking them using my Kodak presstape universal splicer kit which has a 'stylus' looking object that comes with that helps smooth the tape.
Kudos to Jason's backwards recording idea. I hadn't heard or thought of that before and I can see how useful it could be in certain instances.

--------------------
--
Cheers,
Matt 📽

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC