8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Fame

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Fame
Melvin England
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 30, 2016 05:22 PM      Profile for Melvin England     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Can someone confirm if the film "Fame" was released on super 8 in two different versions,please? I have just viewed my 2x 400' version bought recently. A long time ago, I had a 1x 400' reel of it that I though was one of the parts of the 2x 400' and,as I had only one half, I got rid of it. However, My memory tells me there was a scene in this reel where the girl who brought LeRoy along with her gets the push, and she makes a scene about it using strong language and hand signals which doesn't appear in my new copy. So WAS there also a 1x 400' version too?

--------------------
"My name is for my friends!"

|  IP: Logged

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted May 01, 2016 08:46 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As far as i know there was only the 2 x 400ft version. You could by each part separately without having to purchase the other. (i could never see any point to that myself though).
Consequently, a single part often comes up for sale on its own.
Whats your print like, i could never find one with decent colour now. [Wink]

Melvin England
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 01, 2016 11:19 AM      Profile for Melvin England     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To be quite honest,Tom, the colour is not that bad. It has only faded very slightly as opposed to going pink, but seems to be fairly consistent with what I remember from the TV. I have seen far worse faded films. I often find,though ,with super 8 that the colour wasn't necessarily mesmerising when films were brand new. I wonder if we are being spoilt and our expectations higher when we see today's more modern technology ?

--------------------
"My name is for my friends!"

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted May 01, 2016 11:41 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think your probably right there Melvin, it wasn't until the 80s that our UK prints really took off, although i am not knocking what we had, like many until the LPP prints came about i think Walton films generally had very good colours. [Wink]

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted May 01, 2016 01:08 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
80's and 90's Derann releases are the absolut epitome of everything that cements our love here for the Super 8mm gauge!

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

James N. Savage 3
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 03, 2016 08:00 AM      Profile for James N. Savage 3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I believe there is only one super 8 digest release of "Fame", released by Ken/MGM Super 8, released around 1981.

Its a great digest, containing most of the popular songs from the movie, and bits of character development.

The scene you mention I believe is right after the audition. Leroy is there to dance with his girlfriend (?). When Leroy unexpectedly passes and she doesn't, she has a "cussing-tantrum" all through the school. The "F-Bomb" is thrown out probably a dozen times, as well as other choice words [Embarrassed] . This scene is pretty much intact in the digest.

As far as colors, mine has remained pretty consistent with how it was when I bought it brand new in '82. The movie itself does not have many colors, especially in the school, where everything has sort of a beige look. A little grain here and there as well, and I believe that it is the intended look of the movie.

Excellent editing by Ken/MGM in my opinion too [Smile] .

James

Stuart Reid
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 03, 2016 08:15 AM      Profile for Stuart Reid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think the original cut of Fame is one of the most underrated movies of its time. I was lucky enough to catch a 70mm screening a few years back while the print was still saturated enough to watch! I understand it's since turned completely. Shame.

James N. Savage 3
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 03, 2016 09:10 PM      Profile for James N. Savage 3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Fame on 70mm- Wow!

Yes, I thought the movie really captured the time and issues of high school aged kids in the late 70's. I was in high school at the time. While not in New York, only a couple-hundred miles south in Washington DC. These were pretty realistic situations for the most part. And D.C. also was screening midnight shows weekly of Rocky Horror too [Wink] .

And a wonderful soundtrack too.

James

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC