8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Possible CHC New Trailer Release (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Author Topic: Possible CHC New Trailer Release
Mark Todd
Film God

- posted May 15, 2016 01:10 PM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Dominique, basically the more the better, I think 20 - 30 would be a good number at first at least.

The more mails or calls with a commitment CHC get etc.

The amount of thier own money that has to go in to releases these days I think its amazing they keep trying.

A decent amount of possitive support and contact for them can only be a good thing for the hobby overall as well as the hope for this to happen.

Best Mark.

|  IP: Logged

Paul Browning
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 15, 2016 01:14 PM      Profile for Paul Browning   Email Paul Browning   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would love to sign up for this, but I don't think its fair on Phil to be loosing out on this trailer print. Can it not be established what the break even point would need to be, and then ask if people are interested. Phil does not seem so unreasonable that he can't be asked the question surely?.

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted May 15, 2016 01:28 PM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
All they want is a good show of support and commitment and it will happen Paul.

So if your in just let them know and possibly round up another odd collector or two as well if you can.

Thing is now to just get the support in.

Best Mark.

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted May 15, 2016 01:31 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you, Mark.
Paul, if the members of this forum can help to start the release, the title will be added in the catalogue and more collectors will potentielly buy it.

--------------------
Dominique

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted May 15, 2016 01:37 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
What are the actual numbers needed Mark or Adrian, to make this definitely go ahead?

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted May 15, 2016 01:50 PM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
High, all CHC need to move ahead is a decent show of commitment to the release, via email and phone and they will take it ahead.

No Money but a firm possitive commitment of interest and intent when available is all that is needed for now. But it is needed.

The more the better. Just get the commitments, and support in.

Best Mark.

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted May 15, 2016 01:59 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
I will be phoning Phil when I'm off in a few days Mark, no problem there. I don't mind paying upfront, but it would be nice to know the exact numbers required here given that I've seen around 20 committed members here, and elsewhere saying they will most definitely subscribe to this excellent project here.

I just hope the numbers required are a realistic one, even if it does mean paying upfront, that's all Mark. [Smile]

For instance, if it took around 50 upfront, there may still be a way to go here??

--------------------

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted May 15, 2016 02:08 PM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A Commitment of support and intent when available to CHC is all that is needed for now.

Lets get moving on that, and fingers crossed.

Best Mark.

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted May 15, 2016 02:25 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Indeed. [Wink] [Smile] ..and here's hoping!

--------------------

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted May 15, 2016 03:27 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Defiantly agree with Paul, whilst there is a lot of enthusiasm on here and the other forum,(it also need to be put onto the other two forums),Phil is in business to make a profit in order to live.
I cant see anyone releasing new titles of any kind simply as a favour to the hobby.
I'll also ring Phil and see if he can give an idea,(we cant hold him to it to be exact), of approx how many "definates" would be required to make it worthwhile for him. At the end of the day i dont think there there has been an abundance of support for his Back to the future reel he wants to release. Last time i spoke to him i think he was actually surprised at the lack of response.
Have to say if it could only be one trailer for me it would have to be the Hateful8 in scope. I could easily give the other one a miss but both on one reel would be a pretty dam good release.
oop, did i make a title suggestion? [Big Grin] [Wink]

Evan Samaras
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 15, 2016 03:37 PM      Profile for Evan Samaras   Author's Homepage   Email Evan Samaras   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dominique, Phil told me 30 orders.

--------------------
...When there's no more room in hell, the dead will walk the Earth...

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted May 15, 2016 04:08 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for that precise answer, Evans ! Let's keep our fingers crossed.

--------------------
Dominique

Claus Harding
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 15, 2016 04:20 PM      Profile for Claus Harding   Email Claus Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi All,

I just sent an e-mail to CHC saying I am in for the new trailer.
Everybody get on board! [Smile]

Claus.

--------------------
"Why are there shots of deserts in a scene that's supposed to take place in Belgium during the winter?" (Review of 'Battle of the Bulge'.)

Mark Mander
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 15, 2016 05:03 PM      Profile for Mark Mander     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As for supporting this and Tom's comment about The Back to the Future reel, I find I just can't get a straight answer about new releases from CHC which puts me off placing an order, if you get a definite price and a definite yes to the release then offer it to customers it should take off, guesstimates are no good to anyone, Mark

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 1.0 lens
Elmo ST1200HD 1.1 lens
Sankyo 800 1.0 lens
Elmo 16CL
Elf NT1

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 15, 2016 05:15 PM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The new projector idea from CHC foundered due to lack of interest shown, we mustn't let a release like this fail the same way.

Chris Bird
Expert Film Handler

- posted May 16, 2016 02:02 AM      Profile for Chris Bird   Email Chris Bird   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't collected Super 8 for years, to focus on the larger gauges, but I think it's great that CHC are doing this, and it's a little piece of film history given the film in question, so I'll give Phil a ring tomorrow and place my order. Fortunately I still have my Eumig 824!

Tom Spielman
Master Film Handler

- posted May 16, 2016 09:01 AM      Profile for Tom Spielman   Email Tom Spielman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Whether it's a trailer or a new projector, this seems like the kind of chicken and egg problem that kickstarter was created to solve. The owner of the project sets a target funding amount and deadline. Contributors make a financial commitment, but spend no money unless the funding goal is actually met.

The project owner doesn't need to worry about people not following through on their commitments. They don't have to worry about refunds if the funding goal isn't achieved.

The funders don't have to worry about spending money on a product that may never exist and everyone can see the progress towards the funding goal.

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted May 16, 2016 11:43 AM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's a great post from Chris - a collector inspired to make his first 8mm purchase for many years is a great endorsement of this initiative!

I think it's appropriate to draw a distinction between this idea and the CHC projector. While the latter was a noble initiative and I'm sorry it didn't succeed, it's well-documented in at least two other threads that there were significant factors which many potential buyers found offputting at the time. I won't mention details here - let's focus on the (very positive) matter in hand!

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Peter Scott
Film Handler

- posted May 17, 2016 02:56 AM      Profile for Peter Scott     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I do agree with Mark its no good of CHC saying" if their is demand" if they were to give a definite price and definite date then collectors will place orders but not until they know its going to come out, you have to speculate to accumulate

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted May 17, 2016 03:58 AM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What we need is for people to give a firm commitment for the release, its just 2 trailers 2.30 mins each.

It should be relatively affordable.

If you feel you have to change your mind further long the line for whatever reason fair enough.

The costs of the negative alone for this are as I said eye watering. If CHC were to break even, even, they would be doing very very well.

I`m going to get at least one copy and I don`t even do super 8 now. I might even send the cash and say sell the copy to someone else.

The daft crazy money things are going for now in the hobby, its a great, cheap way to support it for what would be a great release.

I would just say if your in to super 8 go for it please, and pass on the word.

Best Mark.

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted May 17, 2016 05:53 AM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Peter - while a date and price would be helpful, it can't be easy nowadays to source 35mm prints of trailers to use as master material, so there would be work to do and perhaps significant expenditure even before a negative can be made. There's unfortunately a history in the 8mm world of 'demand' being expressed for releases that doesn't end up translating into sales, so it's understandable that in an era when the cost of releasing anything is frighteningly high, Phil is requesting that collectors tell him direct that they want this release. If you would like to have a copy and would be willing to pay about £40 if needed, why not order one, otherwise wait and see what the outcome is. Anyone would also be at liberty to say "I'll order one so long as the price is not more than £______".

You've said that collectors won't place an order until they know a release is definite, but numerous forum members above have confirmed that they HAVE placed orders! The increasing popularity of 'crowdfunding' initiatives mean that we are now getting used to situations where we make something happen by confirming that we want to invest in it. Incidentally, I haven't placed my order yet but I'm checking with a few friends who might also want one.

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Mark Norton
Master Film Handler

- posted May 17, 2016 06:37 AM      Profile for Mark Norton   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Fantastic, count me in too! Email sent to CHC.

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted May 17, 2016 07:40 AM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They will, if we all get our fingers out, and it comes off OK, hope so, be £35 and a bargain.

All get on board please.

Best Mark.

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted May 17, 2016 07:50 AM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've just sent Phil a firm order for FOUR copies: one for me, two for other collectors, and one that would be a prize in the Blackpool Dinner raffle. Bob Nicholls has just informed me that he will order when he sees Phil on Saturday, so that's another completely reliable order.

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Bill Phelps
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 17, 2016 09:19 AM      Profile for Bill Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm in too.

[ June 01, 2016, 09:07 PM: Message edited by: Bill Phelps ]

All times are Central
This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC