8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » 8mm sound film

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: 8mm sound film
Len Horowitz
Junior

- posted May 16, 2016 06:11 PM      Profile for Len Horowitz   Author's Homepage   Email Len Horowitz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
(bad hobby);; I'd like to try my Fairchild 8mm sound camera with film. This means I will have to stripe the film in the dark. I think there is acetate, black and white film available. 2016 color unxposed films are "Estar" based and will not take the stripe. Also, I am attempting the set up the 16mm "Reeves Soundcraft" striping machine. Because it is more difficult than the 8mm process, This will be for exposed films only. . The 16mm oxide goes on wet. It requires venting and drying tunnels. Alas, striping may not be doable on a small scale. It takes 100 feet to get it going. If anyone has done this, or knows anything about the process, please let me know. "History" of Rec... In Culver City, CA 90232

--------------------
Len Horowitz

|  IP: Logged

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted May 16, 2016 06:33 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nice project ! I hope you will succeed stripping film in the dark. I think these are color reversal films acetate based and not polyester but this to be checked as the site is in German. What's more it is not easy to buy as an individual from this company but I mention the film hoping it may be useful for someone : http://www.kahlfilm.de/content.php?nav=17

--------------------
Dominique

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 17, 2016 12:57 AM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Len what model is your Reeves striper? I thought the Reeves soundcraft unit used the liquid ferric oxide which I believe was outlawed due to environmental safety reasons, no?

That being said I hope you are successful, but if you ever decide to get rid of it please let me know..I am at USC and have many of the original old Art Reeves pieces of equipment in our historical technology collection, but don't have one of these.

--------------------
"You're too Far Out Miss Lawrence"

Doug Thompson
Junior

- posted May 20, 2016 08:46 PM      Profile for Doug Thompson   Email Doug Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What was it about liquid ferric oxide that made it so toxic?

And I wonder how the audio tape manufacturers have been coating polyester base tape so well for about 50 years. Well, the European companies, anyway. (Sticky-shed after the mid '70s with all of the American manufacturers.) With many brands and formulations, the oxide stays adhered even after severe stretching.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC