8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Problem with Neat Video 4 Plugin and Vegas Pro 12

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Problem with Neat Video 4 Plugin and Vegas Pro 12
Mark Creighton
Junior

- posted May 18, 2016 10:20 AM      Profile for Mark Creighton   Email Mark Creighton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am having a problem trying to use the Neat Video 4 plugin in Vegas Pro 12. I am working with 8mm film that was captured with a Retro 8 at 17fps. When I apply the plugin and then view the video it looks like the plugin is working to remove dirt/spots. But when I render the video to 720p 24fps with no sampling the resulting video does not show the removal of the dirt. I am wondering if it has something to do with the added frames being generated to convert the frame rate to 24fps. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

|  IP: Logged

Ty Reynolds
Film Handler

- posted May 18, 2016 04:07 PM      Profile for Ty Reynolds   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I use Vegas 12 and Neato. Because of the ridiculously long render time wherever Neato is applied, I usually render a new file with all my effects, etc., but without Neato, then apply Neato to that. If you are correct about the added frames, then applying Neato to a new file may solve that. Try it with a short segment as a test.

Mark Creighton
Junior

- posted May 18, 2016 08:58 PM      Profile for Mark Creighton   Email Mark Creighton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ty, thank you for the suggestion to render the video once with the effects and then a second time with just the Neat Video filter. I had read somewhere that the Neat Video filter compared adjacent frames to determine where the dirt/scratches were, so if frames are duplicated or blended that might interfere with the filter.

Ty Reynolds
Film Handler

- posted May 19, 2016 11:35 AM      Profile for Ty Reynolds   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
After thinking about it some more, I wonder if it might be better to first render with all effects, including Neato, but without the correction to 24 fps. Then correct the frame rate to that file. If you do it as I first suggested, you might have dirt on multiple frames that Neato won't recognize as such, for just the reason you mention.

Mark Creighton
Junior

- posted May 20, 2016 09:53 AM      Profile for Mark Creighton   Email Mark Creighton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ty,
I attempted to apply the Neat Video effects along with other filters leaving the frame rate at 17fps. The Neat Video plugin removed a lot of the dust and scratches but at one spot there was a section of video that was repeated. I then ran the Neat Video alone to clean up the video leaving the frame rate at 17fps. This worked to remove the majority of the dust and scratches. I will do the remainder of the effects/corrections tonight.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC