8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » L&H Dirty Work: which Super 8mm print is best? (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: L&H Dirty Work: which Super 8mm print is best?
Mark Todd
Film God

- posted May 31, 2016 05:20 PM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think generally its held that the std 8 Waltons were very nice. Maybe better graded etc when printed etc.

I`ve had some std 8 silent chaplins that were fantastic and you could blow up like 16mm from that tiny little frame !!!

I think that often if you get a really good Walton or Blackhawk super 8 one they can easily eaqual or even beat a lot of 16mm prints.

Probably a bit to do with the lenses as well, small house wise as super 8 ones are better that way.

Best Mark.

|  IP: Logged

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted May 31, 2016 05:45 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
im not a 100 percent sure there Stuart,one thing interesting though, we recently bought the super 8 400ft edition of live ghost to replace our standard 8 400ft sound version, both are walton prints, but the standard 8 one is,as Mark says, a much better picture in both contrast and sharpness, also,dispite both being walton the standard 8 edition has a few more feet of content, this is disappointing because now we've kept both, the only reason we did not re sell the super 8 film is because the std 8 one has no titles. other than this it is the full uncut version. it is odd that the later super 8 print is slightly abridged,but this was one of the annoying things about walton.

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted May 31, 2016 09:38 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I ran my "Busy Bodies" and the slugs didn't show any indications of wear, then again the film around them didn't particularly either.

-not a great day for science!

I lead off with my print of "What's Opera Doc?"

Before I started, I told my wife "I'm gonna kill the Wabbit!"

-she asked "Can you do it quietly?"

-What's the point?

You really can't kill the Wabbit correctly and be quiet about it!

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Stuart Reid
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 01, 2016 03:44 AM      Profile for Stuart Reid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What's Opera Doc on 8mm? Lovely! I had a 16mm print of it years back. Yes I regret selling it.

Allan Broadfield
Master Film Handler

- posted June 01, 2016 05:53 AM      Profile for Allan Broadfield   Author's Homepage   Email Allan Broadfield   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A fun experiment, though, Steve.

Gary Crawford
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 01, 2016 06:45 AM      Profile for Gary Crawford     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I bought a new Blackhawk super 8 print of Dirty Work back in the late 60's. It was disappointing. Contrasty...the sound a little dull...not quite sharp and yes, a few little black frames. Still, hilarious. The Blackhawk Laurel and Hardy's , as has been said before, are highly variable, from gorgeous (Going Bye Bye and Scram) to less than good, like Dirty Work...or at least my print of it. As Blackhawk got new negatives, it upgraded prints. So there are likely some better Blackhawks of Dirty Work out there...although the print my local TV station played back in the early 60's looked pretty bad as well.

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC