8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Super 8 projector as carry-on item.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Super 8 projector as carry-on item.
Timothy Price
Master Film Handler

- posted June 10, 2016 10:36 PM      Profile for Timothy Price   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anybody EVER tried to pack a projector as a carry-on item on an airplane to stow above?

Sounds nuts, I know.

Thanks

Tim

|  IP: Logged

Bryan Chernick
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 11, 2016 11:30 AM      Profile for Bryan Chernick   Email Bryan Chernick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't carried on a projector but I have taken many 8mm cameras with me. I'm sure they have seen crazier stuff. Make sure you measure it to make sure it will fit in the overhead bin or under the seat in front of you. You may have to lay it on it's side to get it to fit. That's a very heavy object to fall out of the bin if something shifts during the flight.

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted June 11, 2016 12:15 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mind you carry-on-item on board is max 8kg allowed. Some projectors (ST-1200) is about 13kg. GS-1200 is heavier, probably 16kg. Airline crew may stop you bringing it on board.

--------------------
Winbert

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted June 12, 2016 07:04 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is getting outside the wheelhouse of Airport Security, and that can make for either comedy or drama. They like routine travel items they can easily identify. I brought a Super-8 camera through security in San Francisco a few years ago and spent a good three minutes explaining exactly what it was.

-it goes to show you how much the world has changed. Before 2001 I used to carry power supply test fixtures with me when I went out to the factories for first production: big, cylindrical ceramic power resistors with attached wiring. It went right through the X-ray without even a question.

-these days they'd probably evacuate the whole terminal!

[ June 12, 2016, 09:03 PM: Message edited by: Steve Klare ]

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted June 12, 2016 07:09 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
You can more or less take whatever you like so long as you are willing to pay business class and upwards.

There is no way you are getting on board with a GS 1200 in economy!

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Jonathan Trevithick
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 13, 2016 04:06 AM      Profile for Jonathan Trevithick   Email Jonathan Trevithick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I once had a projector lens in my hand luggage from Sydney to Heathrow. I had to change flights at Dubai where they xrayed my bag and took me aside where I had to explain what the lens was. After some consultation between guards wielding guns,they let me go on my way. That was quite an experience!

Jonathan Trevithick
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 13, 2016 04:07 AM      Profile for Jonathan Trevithick   Email Jonathan Trevithick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
comment was duplicated

Alan Rik
Film God

- posted June 13, 2016 11:54 AM      Profile for Alan Rik   Email Alan Rik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I actually purchased a GS1200 in California and took it on the plane with me to New York. I had it in a suitcase that was the perfect size and it went in the overheard bin. I was afraid it was going to fall out and bonk someone in the head! It didn't and survived the trip. And I was in coach! But.. it was over 10 years ago.. pre 9/11 so it probably wouldn't work today.

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted June 13, 2016 12:35 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
You'd be lucky to fit your sandwiches in your overhead locker these days Alan! Especially if they were in a Tupperware box. [Big Grin]

A lot of flights abroad from here now insist weights of main baggage are kept as low as 20kg for a two week stay. Three pairs of flip flops plus your suitcase weight, you're maxed out Ha ha!

--------------------

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted June 13, 2016 12:40 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know exactly why...

-but when I travel on my own I can usually get by on one small case in the overhead, even for a whole week.

Travel with my wife? They have to throttle the jets full just to clear the runway! You hear the pilot over the PA: "Come-Onnn...Come-ONNNN!!!!!"

I've always wondered if she's smuggling car batteries, but maybe it really IS a couple of GS-1200s!

We have these big suitcases with wheels on them: the newest one has a place for a license plate...

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted June 13, 2016 02:13 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Your family flights will be like Albatross Airlines on take off and landing then Steve! [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Wink]

--------------------

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC