8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » The Bridge on The River Kwai

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The Bridge on The River Kwai
Melvin England
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 24, 2016 04:28 AM      Profile for Melvin England     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Has there ever been a decent copy (nice colour etc)of the 400' The Bridge on The River Kwai?
The reason I ask is that I have had several copies pass through my hands and,quite frankly, they were all awful. Very red. A great pity as it is a great digest. Was it the raw film type they were printed on? Was it ever printed on different types of film stock?

I look forward to the responses.

--------------------
"My name is for my friends!"

|  IP: Logged

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted July 24, 2016 06:26 AM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Columbia's isn't bad, they also put out a 200' "souvenir" reek, which is a fine edition as well - Cheers, Shorty

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted July 24, 2016 09:01 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We had this 400 footer and it was quite good but (i could be wrong here) i am pretty sure most of these will be faded by now. [Wink]

Melvin England
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 24, 2016 10:03 AM      Profile for Melvin England     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tom - They probably will be, but other 400'ers hold up well,CE3K for example,but I just wondered whether these were all generally naff prints, as some titles were on 8mm,Magical Mystery Tour as another example, or whether I had just been unlucky?
Were all prints released by the same company,does anyone know?

--------------------

Barry Attwood
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 24, 2016 11:47 AM      Profile for Barry Attwood   Email Barry Attwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had a decent print recently, but they are harder to find, you need a later re-print to really stand a chance.

David Ollerearnshaw
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 24, 2016 12:39 PM      Profile for David Ollerearnshaw   Author's Homepage   Email David Ollerearnshaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder if the Columbia titles printed in America have held their colour better? The prints from Mountain were not always very good to start with.

I have a German release in scope the last time I watched it it was OK.

--------------------
I love the smell of film in the morning.

http://www.thereelimage.co.uk/

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted July 24, 2016 02:09 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
I never rated Mountain film prints. None I've ever seen are on par with the Walton prints of this world etc.

Columbia prints however, I rate highly.

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted July 24, 2016 02:27 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have to say i believe the USA prints seem to hold up better,
I recently bought from Barry a 400 footer of a jerry Lewis film The Big Mouth and the colour,(the whole thing actually) has excellent quality and very good colours, see my review on here, also recently purchased 400s of The detective, Dirty Mary Crazy Larry, all with excellent colours. I know some of these wernt columbia,I had to sell off my 400 CEOTTK as it did begin to fade but i was extremely disappointed with this particular cut down, it was nothing more than a souvenir print really. [Wink]

Joseph Randall
Master Film Handler

- posted July 24, 2016 07:55 PM      Profile for Joseph Randall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
CEOTTK?

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted July 24, 2016 11:32 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Close Encounters....

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Douglas Warren
Master Film Handler

- posted July 24, 2016 11:56 PM      Profile for Douglas Warren     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had a used copy of this last year that had pretty good color. I wound up selling it as the narration was just too annoying to my ears. I do own the 200' silent reel which is nice in it's own way. I wish there was a way to eliminate the Columbia narration from many of their prints as they had some really good titles in their 400' releases.

--------------------
Turn out the lights,the movie is starting!

Paul Suchy
Expert Film Handler

- posted July 25, 2016 06:39 AM      Profile for Paul Suchy   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Suchy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You are so right, Douglas; it isn't only a matter of rerecording the Columbia digests in order to knock out the narration because of the editing-when the narrator is speaking, it can be over footage that cuts in or out in the middle of a sentence and one would have to get very creative with dubbing or cutting the print in order to make it come off well. I'll never understand why Columbia felt compelled to try to cram every detail into a twenty minute digest. They should have screened a few Castle digests to see how it's done.

--------------------
Paul Suchy

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted July 25, 2016 11:47 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here' a bit of something to hunt for Melvin ...

I have only read of one being sold years ago, but there WAS a scope digest of this title 400ft, but i can't verify if it was the same edit as the flat 400ft digest but boy, would i like to find that one!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Melvin England
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 26, 2016 12:30 PM      Profile for Melvin England     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi - You, me, both !

--------------------

Andreas Chmielewski
Expert Film Handler

- posted August 08, 2016 06:04 AM      Profile for Andreas Chmielewski   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have full lengh Print from Italy, is on 6x600 feet Reels

Melvin England
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 08, 2016 12:32 PM      Profile for Melvin England     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Andreas - is it in English? Which company made it,please?

--------------------

Mike Newell
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 08, 2016 03:59 PM      Profile for Mike Newell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was tempted to write M-A-F-I-A but that would have been cruel. In Italy at one point you could have got virtually any print for a price. Most prints were in Italian but some were in other languages. I remember seeing a glossy box version of Bridge of the River Quai in Dutch in a movie memorabilia shop in Brussels. I think it might have been in scope. It was a crazy price even way back then.

Andreas Chmielewski
Expert Film Handler

- posted August 09, 2016 06:04 AM      Profile for Andreas Chmielewski   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Melvin, my Print is in German, i have re-recorded

Is a old Pirata Print

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted August 09, 2016 11:05 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Italy is a magic place for super 8, as there were countless prints made of NUMEROUS films from the 70's and early 80's, that were NEVER released elsewhere.

The only downside to all of this, is that many of them were also taken from very worn ex-theatrical print. I had a print of "The Rescuers" that was letterboxed, certainly sharp enough, but there were so many "flecks' in the image that you could hadrly watch it.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC