8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Saved from the tip!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Saved from the tip!
Phil Slater
Expert Film Handler

- posted August 10, 2016 03:08 AM      Profile for Phil Slater     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had a phone call the other day. Would I like a pile of super 8 sound films for free? Otherwise they will be dumped. Of course I said yes, and immediately went over to pick them up. Here's what I was given.
The Avengers - Living Dead 2*600ft
Dracula Prince of Darkness - 2*600ft
Top Hat - 3*600ft
Jaws - 2*400ft
Futtocks End - full length
Carry on Matron / Camping / Abroad - all 400ft
Its a mad mad world - 600 ft
Psycho - 400ft
Donald Ducks Dilemas - 400ft
Magnificent Men in Flying Machines - 400ft
The China Syndrome - 400ft
Laurel and Hardy - Melody on the Move - 400ft
The Birds -400ft
Frenzy - 400ft
The haven't been run for at least 30 years and will need a bit of cleaning up and splices replacing, but hey, I'm not complaining!
The colours on on most of them are still very good. I suspect Dracula and Jaws are the most desirable / valuable.
My loft is now bursting at the seams with films and equipment so I'm having my garage converted into a film 'studio'.
I dread to think how many collections end up at landfill sites. I'm just glad I was able to prevent this one going the same way.

|  IP: Logged

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted August 10, 2016 03:14 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Nice find Phil and if you know the condition of Jaws is good after watching it, and if you then wished to sell it, I would be interested thanks. I wouldn't expect the colour to be perfect but hopefully not completely red either.

The U8 Prints now do vary wildly depending on where they have been stored as you probably know.
Prints like Dracula only make matters even more likely by having so many dark scenes.

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Stuart Reid
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 10, 2016 05:59 AM      Profile for Stuart Reid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's the kind of phone call I'd like to get rather than people calling to flog me some PPI or telling me I was involved in an accident! [Big Grin]

Phil, if you're looking to move on Futtocks End I may be interested, thanks.

William Olson
Master Film Handler

- posted August 10, 2016 09:08 AM      Profile for William Olson   Email William Olson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Save film!!! I know I'm preaching to the choir here but film should never be thrown away. The only exception might be if the film is in such deplorable condition that it absolutely can't be projected or duplicated.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted August 10, 2016 12:05 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I ENVY you!!!

What a lovely find and some of those are definitely valuable! I hope that you found a very good color copy of JAWS, which is getting harder to find with good color.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted August 10, 2016 12:56 PM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How come I never get a call like that in this countty?

David Hardy
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 10, 2016 12:58 PM      Profile for David Hardy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nice one Phil that's great.
If Andrew is correct about the Dracula films having to much dark scenes you will have to retitle that DFS copy to
"DRACULA PRINT OF DARKNESS" [Wink] [Wink] [Wink]

--------------------
" My equipment's more important than your rats. "

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted August 10, 2016 01:01 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
The Dracula print I was referring to above David was the U8 2x400ft release not the 2x600ft one Phil now has.

I was comparing the various U8 releases for fading.

I have no idea what to expect from Phil's version regarding colour.

--------------------

Phil Slater
Expert Film Handler

- posted August 10, 2016 01:15 PM      Profile for Phil Slater     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For those of you curious about the quality of the Dracula print, I will try to clean this one up first and post some screen shots. From what I have seen on the viewer, it seems to be good colour.

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted August 10, 2016 01:28 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
If it's a DFS print, I'm sure it still will be Phil, depending when it was released. (not my genre sorry)

--------------------

David Hardy
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 10, 2016 01:29 PM      Profile for David Hardy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Andrew I knew you were referring to the U8 "Dracula" copies.
I have the 400 footer version myself. Most U8 prints are subject to colour fade. One reason I now buy the Digital versions of movies.
I was merely making a joke about the Derann release of Dracula Prince Of Darkness ... Hahahahahaha !!!!!

[Wink] [Wink] [Wink]
If it is the DFS print it maybe the 4x 400' edited version somehow squeezed on to 2x600' spools. There is still a chance there may be some fade on this one depending on when it was printed.
I look forward to the screenshots.

--------------------
" My equipment's more important than your rats. "

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted August 10, 2016 01:39 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Me too David.😊😊

--------------------

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC