8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Mandatory Price Listing in "Films For Sale" Sections (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Mandatory Price Listing in "Films For Sale" Sections
Ricky Daniels
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 15, 2016 01:50 PM      Profile for Ricky Daniels     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree, list prices... but then keep the comments regarding the listings out of it!

I really got fed up when listing Premium titles only to have my For Sales posts bombarded/hijacked by idiots who thought they should discuss my pricing strategy when it was nothing at all to do with them and they had no intention of making a purchase. I compared this activity to 'a.n. other' overhearing a sales assistant in a store talking to a customer regarding an items price and having said eavesdropper butting in on the sale with their tuppence worth, it's plain rude, wouldn't happen, and it just ain't cricket!

I''d even go as far as to say that For Sale posting cannot be replied too and should be 'locked'! Any further question about the sale should be via PM only between the potential purchaser and the seller... then I'd think about selling here again

Best to all,
Rick

|  IP: Logged

Mike Newell
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 15, 2016 04:17 PM      Profile for Mike Newell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know on another forum John Wayne if you are wanting to sell anything you have to send it to one of the admin team to approve and the listing is locked and all enquiries are private posts between the seller and buyer. Very time consuming and frustrating for all involved especially if you are called Doug who no doubt has a life of his own would like to eat see the sun etc. So if prices are mandatory and a little common sense ( I am saying that a lot theses days must be getting old or turning into my Da) is applied we should be all fine [Eek!]

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted August 15, 2016 06:30 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Ricky, once an item is advertised for sale in public, it becomes anyone's business, whether interested in purchasing it or otherwise.

A private sale between two individuals is a totally different matter, but a public one will always invite debate whether this benefits the sale or otherwise.

Mass publicity won't just bring you just the reader's you would like to hand pick.

If that's what's desired, just offer an item to a Select chosen few by PM.

Trouble is, you may not get your best price then.

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Marshall Crist
Master Film Handler

- posted August 15, 2016 07:12 PM      Profile for Marshall Crist   Email Marshall Crist   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think it's rude to list an item for "sale" and not list the price. If you want an auction, go to fleabay.

I think it's rude to swat someone for their asking price being "too high." It discourages listings, and it's unnecessarily combative. If no one nibbles, they will either drop the asking price (and then we have a reverse auction/game of chicken) or go home. No one needs to hear your unsolicited negative opinion on a price. Irony alert: that is my unsolicited opinion.

Douglas Meltzer

- posted August 15, 2016 09:00 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A new set of Forum Sales Rules is now in effect. Rather than make you travel all the way to the sales section to read them, here they are:

Forum Sales Rules

To The Seller:
Prices must accompany all sales listings.
If an item is listed without a price, the entire topic will be deleted.

Details are appreciated! Here is what potential buyers would like to know:
Type of film stock?
Magnetic sound, Optical sound, Silent?
Color fade?
Scratches, lines?
Splices?
Number and size of reels?
Original Box?
Method of payment?
Worldwide shipping?

Screen shots are also greatly appreciated!

At the sale's end do not delete any information from the original post. The sale listings are useful for future reference.
If your sale is successful, please add the word “SOLD” to the topic title.

To Potential Buyers:
Questions directly related to purchase (postage, further print details, etc.) are acceptable and encouraged.

Comments & criticisms about prices, the seller, the merits of the film itself, other versions, other sales and the weather are not allowed.

Thank you all for your opinions and your help in putting this together. Please let me know if you feel additions are necessary or if any clarification is required.

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted August 15, 2016 09:35 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good ones Doug.

Thanks.....

--------------------
Winbert

Tom Spielman
Master Film Handler

- posted August 15, 2016 09:55 PM      Profile for Tom Spielman   Email Tom Spielman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not a collector so from that standpoint I am an outsider. I know one concern was that there may be some sellers who have no idea of what their films (or their relatives films) are worth. Perhaps there could be a sticky that explains how to arrive at a price, - like checking for similar items that have sold on eBay or how much fading impacts price, etc.

Years ago I used to participate in a forum dedicated to "Classic and Vintage" bicycles. These were people that collected, restored, sold, or were just interested in all sorts of old bikes but most often road bikes that were built from the 60's through the 80's.

To most people, one 40 year old road bike is pretty much like the next, but some bikes were much higher quality than others and certain brands and models were favorites of collectors. Lots of people have old road bikes in their garage, or their parents do. Many figure out that some of these bikes are valuable and want to sell them. There were lots of questions in that forum about what a particular bike was worth. So many questions in fact that they eventually dedicated a thread to those inquiries. I don't know if something like that would work here but I thought I'd mention it.

There were plenty of people that enjoyed answering and debating those questions so there was usually ample commentary for those trying to figure out how much to ask for a bike. That type of thread might provide a more constructive avenue for forum members that like to critique others' pricing models. [Wink]

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted August 16, 2016 04:43 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am very glad that Doug has made the decision.
This will stop potential sellers dangling sought-after carrots to members without stating a price.

[ August 16, 2016, 08:24 AM: Message edited by: Maurice Leakey ]

--------------------
Maurice

Ricky Daniels
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 16, 2016 06:00 AM      Profile for Ricky Daniels     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Doug,

Sorry to say your guideline are too moveable and tbh no real difference to what went before apart from being in black and white, but still open to abuse.

An item posted on say EBay is not open to the discussions regarding the sale that those who can't help themselves feel the need to post! That's how a Sale should go.

So, once again I am loath to sell anything through this forum and I'm sure I am not the only member who feels this way. Sellers just want a quiet 1-2-1 sale and NOT a debate!

Best,
Rick

Ps Andrew please consider paragraph 2!

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted August 16, 2016 06:12 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
But of course e bay sales are equally not exempt from debate by collectors Ricky.

The forums (all of them), are full of comments debating the various merits or pitfalls of films first seen on e bay by collectors.

Once anything that is a collectible item goes on sale to the general public, no matter where that may be, it will of course offer it open to debate among enthusiasts.

That will never change Ricky, no matter where anyone chooses to sell these things or by what method.

For quiet private 1-2-1 sales, these need to be offered privately and discreetly on a private 1-2-1 basis. That's the only way out, from this dilemma.
As said though, then you or anyone else, may very well not be receiving the highest amount possible for your /their item,by seriously reducing your marketplace to just a handful of people at best.

--------------------

Terry Sills
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 16, 2016 09:29 AM      Profile for Terry Sills     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well done Doug - good news. But when you mention that critism and comments are not allowed, how will this be enforced. Hopefully by deleting the aforesaid irrelevant postings?

Ricky Daniels
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 16, 2016 10:23 AM      Profile for Ricky Daniels     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Andrew,
With all due respect I'm not convinced and still see the practice of 'butting in' as being very rude and really don't know why anyone would even want to comment on a private sale they are not actually involved in, Why? What's the point? Who are 'they' helping? Inevitably it will be one party only and that's detrimental to the other! Please tell me what the mentality is of someone who feels they need to add their tuppenceworth when in fact they are not or ever will be the purchaser, I don't understand that type of character.
What I will say is alienate sellers on this forum and who knows what rare gems are not being listed, no wonder there's very little of interest here for sale!
Best,
Rick

Kevin Clark
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 16, 2016 10:23 AM      Profile for Kevin Clark     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great work Doug, thank you for doing this - looking forward to seeing all film listings with prices and full descriptions, prices left on for reference when sold, and no reply after reply of nonsense comments - exactly what the majority of us always wanted.

Newbies to the hobby / casual new members looking for advice need fear nothing they simply need to be signposted to this section of the forum where they can simply say 'Hello I have a lot of films to sell', list them, and ask for suggested prices.

Then once price suggestions are agreed list again this time with prices in the films for sale section. Simple really isn't it.

Kevin

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted August 16, 2016 11:48 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
How does anyone ever know Ricky, who a potential customer is?

I've commented on plenty of films offered for sale, many comments I've made have I'd say, helped to promote the Sale, some may have not, who knows?

I buy many many films, but that in itself, doesn't entitle me to only comment on the ones I intend buying, or not comment on the ones I feel are inappropriately priced or are not to my liking.

It's a public forum, so just as the merits and pitfalls of all the various equipment out there is discussed, so then are films and the prices they command.

It's human nature to discuss such topics on a public place of interest for these items, otherwise what else is discussed?
Goat's on roofs maybe???

--------------------

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted August 16, 2016 11:53 AM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well done, Doug. Good decision.

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted August 16, 2016 12:02 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am also happy with this. [Wink]

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted August 16, 2016 12:44 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well done, Doug, and well worded, no squirming a way around the new/revamped rules! [Smile]

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

All times are Central
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC