8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Vibrations on Beaulieu 708 EL stereo (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Vibrations on Beaulieu 708 EL stereo
Maurizio Di Cintio
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 22, 2016 08:18 AM      Profile for Maurizio Di Cintio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Indeed. I hope i can return the favour one day.

Cheers.
M.

--------------------
Maurizio

|  IP: Logged

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted August 22, 2016 08:30 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Everyone helping each other out in their hour of need is what forums are all about and built for imo Maurizio.

Well that and sharing the delights of this hobby for the most part! [Wink]

I know all too well Maurizio, you'd always help others out whenever you can, so all is good my friend. [Smile] [Smile]

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Phil Murat
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 22, 2016 02:22 PM      Profile for Phil Murat   Email Phil Murat   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Maurizio,

I have experienced " Low frequency" Vibrations on my Beaulieus 708 too......

I observed the Tubine Wheel is secured with a Diam 4mm screw with a big head. This is a big mistake from Beaulieu !!!!

No more vibrations when replacing for a headless short screw.
The best is to install an other screw (same size) in oposite position.

To be note vibrations has bad effect on motor peformances, and premature front bearing wear.

Let me know

Phil

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted August 22, 2016 02:32 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, the fan should be fitted with an M4 unbrako grub screw of exact dead length preferably, as I stated in the past here.
This will of course assist with any imbalance issues surrounding the main motor shaft, but of course, has no association with any vibration witnessed from the Shutter Shaft assembly itself.

The fan on mine was particularly difficult to remove as the cheese head screw had been over tightened originally causing a large burr between shaft and hub.

Unbrako screws are very hard high tensile steel. They do not round easily but can and will cause similar burrs if over tightened.
The fan really doesn't need much securing. The hub is made of aluminium and is therefore very lightweight.

Just enough torque on the Allen key, is good enough here!

The motor shaft is only made from mild steel so it can and will easily become damaged by any over tightening of the screw.

[ August 22, 2016, 04:45 PM: Message edited by: Andrew Woodcock ]

--------------------

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted August 23, 2016 03:05 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
In answer to some of your earlier queries Maurizio, I have read that the reason you ordinarily cannot monitor input sound through the internal or external speakers without switching to PA was due to expectation by design of high levels of feedback in certain instances due to the power of the amplifier.

This was a design characteristic in order to protect itself when inputting to the PJ by either microphone or external source.

Ordinarily, the suggested method of monitoring during recording passages is via the two speaker output 2 pin Din sockets with a pair of headphones.

I also believe it is by design that Eumig and Bauer chose to leave the VU meters inoperative during playback just so as to not excessively run the meters in non critical applications.
Beaulieu and Elmo have their meters illuminated and operational at all times but to some, it is arguably unnecessary and just places added use to the lamps and meters themselves.

--------------------

Maurizio Di Cintio
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 23, 2016 06:50 AM      Profile for Maurizio Di Cintio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you again, Phil and Andrew, for your precious inputs. I also feared the vibe could put unnecessary strain on the shaft bearings.

Fact is my unit came with a 2-year warranty, one of the screws of the back cover is covered by a sticker which, if broken, will make such warranty void.

So there's no way for me to have a direct look at the innards of the beast, for the time being; so I'll leave it in 3-blade mode and I should have no problems.

I also see your point, Andrew, regarding acoustic feedback etc. In this respect a socket for headphones would have come in handy; I do not know if it's possible to link a headphone to the DIN socket; it's certainly possible to put a mixer in between with a headphone jack and use it for monitoring. A breeze today, maybe not so pleasant at the time this projector was introduced, especially due to the cost: after all higher-end Bauer's and Eumig's have headphone jacks... Just my opinion, though and certainly a minor design flaw which does not lessen the unique features of this machine.

--------------------
Maurizio

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted August 23, 2016 10:52 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
I too would have prefered a separate 6.3mm stereo headphone jack, but on European models of the time, it was non standard practice to mix both European and Japanese standards of socketry.

The Bauer models come with a dedicated headphone monitoring socket in the shape of a 5 pin Din socket.
The Beaulieu manual just advised us all to connect our headphones via the 2 pin Din stereo speaker sockets.
Ironically though, it does not provide us with an adaptor lead in the original accessories though to facilitate this.

Another fairly large oversight on their behalf given the price of these things and the overall standard of the machine.

[ August 26, 2016, 06:19 AM: Message edited by: Andrew Woodcock ]

--------------------

Maurizio Di Cintio
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 23, 2016 11:56 AM      Profile for Maurizio Di Cintio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree.
Update: after cleaning the balance slider the problem seemed to persist; but I accidentally tinkered with the stereo/mono/duoplay selector nearby and realised that was the actual culprit! I "poured" as much contact cleaner fluid as I could, switched it back and forth and there it was: perfect! Now the balance slider really works sort of like a "mixing device" between the two tracks when playing back in mono.
Also the awareness of a whole sound head not really used circa 70% of the time but still subject to wear (I am referring to the monitor head) made me shiver, so I found a way to keep the presseres defeated whenever such head is not needed. Same for the balance track of the regular head. Applying such contraptions on this machine is even easier than on the Eumig: no need to switch between two different sound pressers cartridges here: just open up the sound assembly (cleaning mode) gently push the pressers up with a finger and while the pressers terminal are protruding, one simply inserts a piece of plastic circa 1 mm thick cut and shaped to fit, which will keep the presser(s) away from the tracks.

--------------------
Maurizio

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted August 23, 2016 11:29 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Great news there regarding the slider / switch initial fault Maurizio. I am pleased all now is fully working for yourself and in time, when you're warranty has perhaps elapsed, I'm sure you'll want to balance the motor shaft to the best you can by adding a headless fastener.

One of the main attractions of the outstanding image qualities obtainable from these, is the additional brightness obtained without detriment, from using the two bladed shutter facility whenever possible (24fps).

--------------------

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted February 04, 2017 06:17 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Do I love You?

3 very happy and satisfied years into ownership...

Indeed I Do! [Smile] [Big Grin] [Wink]

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=do+i+lo ve+you+frank+wilson&view=detail&mid=78B17E1B9CF0AB8BC16178B17E1B9CF0AB8BC161&FORM=VIRE

Not one quibble nor squabble since bedding this one in.
Perfection personified!

Gillette, the best a man can get. [Wink]

--------------------

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC