8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Eumig Mark S 810 D gate issue

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Eumig Mark S 810 D gate issue
Jim Bishop
Junior

- posted August 25, 2016 12:36 PM      Profile for Jim Bishop   Email Jim Bishop   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi everyone, I hope someone can help.

Having removed and replaced the gate from my Eumig Mark S810D to clean it a few times successfully, film is now not going into the gate. Leader is bunching up.

I've swapped from standard 8 to super 8 and back, but entry to the gate is where the problem lies. Any advice gratefully received.

Many Thanks
Jim [Confused]

|  IP: Logged

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted August 25, 2016 02:00 PM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Did you set the inching knob's spot to 12 o'clock before you removed/inserted the gate?
If not, you have probably broken off the single claw.

--------------------
Maurice

Will Trenfield
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 25, 2016 02:45 PM      Profile for Will Trenfield   Email Will Trenfield   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've a S710D which is similar in that you have to change the gate plates and sprockets to switch gauges. Under the front feed sprocket is a lever which has to be up for the feed to work properly. I've had the problem you describe when I've forgotten to move the lever.

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted August 26, 2016 09:59 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am sure Jim knows how to thread his S810D, but for those who are not sure, there is a threading key under the lens.

To thread, turn on motor. Hold down the threading key. Insert film into the film thread slot. Keep threading key depressed until film comes out at the back near the take-up spool. Release threading key.

If the spool is a self-threading type the film should thread itself onto the spool.

--------------------
Maurice

Will Trenfield
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 26, 2016 07:10 PM      Profile for Will Trenfield   Email Will Trenfield   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've the earlier S710D but the threading process is as Maurice describes for later models. The auto treading rarely works well I've found, due to the curl in the leader. I switch off once the leader emerges and manually engage it on the take up spool. I also have a S712D which entails manual threading which I think is better for the film.

Jim Bishop
Junior

- posted September 01, 2016 05:15 PM      Profile for Jim Bishop   Email Jim Bishop   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Will, hi Maurice, thanks so much for your suggestions.

I hadn't considered the inching knob at all - and to be honest didn't know I had to - but this sudden problem hadn't occurred over a huge amount of gate-changing without it. I've set it to 12:00 anyway.

The lever beneath my front feed sprocket appears to be sprung in order to hold the sprocket in position, so unless the spring is broken it can only be 'up' as it were.

Film is travelling correctly into the gate, but just about - as soon as it goes in something is stopping it. I've taken the gate out & put it back, taken several films to try them all. Not sure what to do.

But thanks whatever happens, I appreciate your suggestions.

Jim

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted September 02, 2016 10:33 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jim

The inching knob only needs to be set to 12 o'clock when changing gates. By doing this the claw is retracted.

You seem to be referring to the top sprocket guard which is sprung to keep the film on the sprocket. It is NOT the threading key.

The Threading Key is the long lever protruding just below the lens.

If you go on to the Film Tech manuals site you can download an instruction manual for the 810D.

http://www.film-tech.com/warehouse/index.php?category=2#8mm Projectors

--------------------
Maurice

Jim Bishop
Junior

- posted September 09, 2016 05:31 PM      Profile for Jim Bishop   Email Jim Bishop   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks so much, Maurice - the manual de-mystifies things and helps my terminology, or lack of it.

Ironically, the part I'm referring to isn't labelled, but at this stage you've helped enough and I'm on my own I think. Perhaps it's just broken and that's that.

In the event it does do any good I could attach 2 images - one of the film entering the gate and the second showing it bunching up as it can go no further - although I can't for the life of me figure out how to upload them using the instructions at http://8mmforum.film-tech.com/uploadnew.html.

Thanks for all your time and patience.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC