8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Enhancement of telecine avi material

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Enhancement of telecine avi material
Robin Watson
Junior

- posted August 31, 2016 04:03 PM      Profile for Robin Watson   Email Robin Watson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi everyone,
I hired a Reflecta Super 8 scanner and was able to convert all my old family super 8 cine films over a period of about a month. The results are very sharp but the age of the film has meant that the images need some digital processing. I am considering purchasing adobe Premier Elements, but wonder if anyone out there has a better or cheaper alternative to suggest. I also would like to further complete the files, possibly convert to mp4, so that I can provide single dvds (or possibly 2) containing all the recordings to my children and relations of our family memories. I have about 80GBytes of avi material.
Would be interested to hear your views.
Robin Watson

|  IP: Logged

Will Trenfield
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 31, 2016 04:48 PM      Profile for Will Trenfield   Email Will Trenfield   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, Robin. I captured some family footage as digital files a few months ago. I used the free VirtualDub package to edit them. It allows you to advance a frame at a time so that you can be precise when cutting out naff footage etc. I used the XvidMPEG-4 codec to compress and ended up with some 46GB of avi files. You can use free software like Any Video Converter to convert to other formats. Good luck!

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted September 01, 2016 12:47 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
It allows you to advance a frame at a time
Will, when you say this, does it mean VitualDub can divide our 8mm film to 18 frames or 24 frames delending on the original films' frame rate?

Btw what methkd did you to capture your 8mm films to be edited on VirtualDub?

--------------------
Winbert

John Hermes
Expert Film Handler

- posted September 01, 2016 02:23 AM      Profile for John Hermes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Standards DVDs are made from MPG2 files. AVI files are 13GB per hour. I usually try to limit my single-layer DVDs to two hours, compressing the 26GB AVI to two hours using an MPG2 bitrate of about 4,600,000 bps for the render. I have used Sony Vegas for years to do my post production and their DVD Architect to author the DVDs. Their lower priced Studio version is good as well for this work.

--------------------
John Hermes

Will Trenfield
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 01, 2016 01:16 PM      Profile for Will Trenfield   Email Will Trenfield   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, Winbert. I positioned my Eumig 501 about 16" from a sheet of photo paper. Then I set up my old analogue camcorder which has output sockets. I positioned this so that it was as close as possible to the front corner of the projector. I fed the output to a Pinnacle Dazzle DVC101 analogue to digital convertor which I'd used to digitise VHS videos. I used the Pinnacle Instant DVD software to monitor the picture as I adjusted the camcorder to get the best possible picture. Although the software is designed to burn the video to DVD, it can be saved to a hard disk instead. Once captured, I was able to load the video file for each film into VirtualDub and edit. The "frames" in VirtualDub aren't the same as those on the cine film. A 50' super 8 film digitised has about 5,200 "frames" in VirtualDub.

Will Trenfield
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 01, 2016 06:41 PM      Profile for Will Trenfield   Email Will Trenfield   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A sequence captured using the method described and posted on You Tube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h90_3ocIP2c

Jean-Pierre Labus
Junior

- posted September 23, 2017 09:39 AM      Profile for Jean-Pierre Labus   Email Jean-Pierre Labus   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To modify your film record by scanner you can use
a specifical software named FilmNew translation of ... Film9

http://contact41766.wixsite.com/film9/home-1

It is great for renovation, go there for information
REFLECTA scanner user
Best Regards
JP LABUS

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC