8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Guide Wear:Elmo ST-1200HD!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Guide Wear:Elmo ST-1200HD!
Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted September 08, 2016 10:33 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So the day has come!

After years of watching for wear on my ST-1200HD, the day has finally arrived. It's kind of like that first gray hair or the day you find a little dent in your "new" car.

-You knew it was coming, but it's still a pain!

Based on what I've read here over the years I've been watching the classic wear spots on my machines and looking for trouble.

One of the things I do at least monthly on my Elmos is force the guide sprung against the bottom sprocket downward and shine a flashlight in there looking for flats worn into the little ridge in front of the roller.

I found a small one the other day. I immediately re-ran the last print projected on this machine and found no damage, so I've caught it in time. This machine is now on injured reserve, but I need it back soon. It's my only twin track machine, and my only 1200 foot capable machine as well.

-Now what?!

I looked at my spare parts machine: that guide is worn even worse!

I'm working on finding a replacement guide in new condition, and not having tremendous luck. I haven't given up, but all the usual suspects have done their best without that "A-hah!" moment, at least so far.

-I need a plan "B". (-or would that be "C"?)

It seems to me if the problem is a tiny bit of material has been worn away, one answer should be to add a tiny bit of material back. If a year or five down the road I need to repeat this, so be it.

Has anybody ever tried applying a dot of epoxy to one of these wear spots and smoothing it to shape?

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

|  IP: Logged

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted September 08, 2016 10:40 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd favour looking to Edwin to provide you with a 3D replacement Steve.

There are hundreds of ST 1200,s still in use if not thousands still.

I'm certain Edwin must have either started making these parts or will be high up on his list of "to do's" very very soon.

I know some guys who have all of the bits and pieces you require Steve,but like anything else, they are now reluctant to part with any it would seem.

Have you tried Leon Steve?
I believe he has plenty of spares from what I gather.

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Gary Crawford
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 08, 2016 10:52 AM      Profile for Gary Crawford     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve...I thought I saw Steve Osborne's Reel Image flyer had new replacement guides for the elmo's. I don't remember which models, but you should check him out.
Looking forward to seeing you in Jersey next month.

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted September 08, 2016 10:52 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think a 3D printed guide is the real answer here, and given the need, I think we will see it sooner or later.

-maybe all I'm looking for is a kludge to keep me in business until then.

Leon was my first stop: he did his best, and I bet he once had them by the ton, but not anymore.

Steve Osborne also tried.

-so how about that epoxy?

I thought about taking the worst guide I have and applying a roller there, but Leon thought it would be hard to get the geometry exactly right. (This is plan "D"!)

I guess if I was designing a machine in the 1970s and we figured out a certain part I designed was going to wear out 40 years later, I'd feel pretty proud of myself!

"2016?!! People will be buying our NEW machines years before then!"

ELMO XP-1200: Introduced 2011. Mag/Optical/Dolby digital sound capable, Wifi and USB control, Ultra low hum power system, LED lighting with color compensation. (-Easy financing available!)

--------------------

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted September 08, 2016 02:24 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd see where Edwin is up to with these Steve.
It has to be the way forward for all of the traditional wear guides on all of the Elmo s.

Hopefully then, it'll be another 40yrs before anyone need concern themselves!😂

I've no doubt you could do a satisfactory job with a two pack of epoxy putty and some very fine grade emery cloth / wet and dry to finish with.

But, and it is the only but, you'll never truly know that the profile of the remodelling is exactly spot on until maybe, it's too late.

None of us can work to thousandths of a mm accuracy on highly contoured complex shaped pieces in the way a 3D printer can.

--------------------

Kevin Clark
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 08, 2016 02:57 PM      Profile for Kevin Clark     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Steve

I have just one of these left in my spares - new bagged unused as pictured below - how does £15 sound for the guide plus postage extra?

Kevin

-

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted September 08, 2016 03:09 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
You're a gem Kevin!😊😊

--------------------

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted September 08, 2016 03:11 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kevin,

£15 for the guide plus postage sounds like music to my ears!

I will PM you later.

Thanks!

Here's more from the alternate timeline ELMO catalog we will never see:

quote:
The ELMO XP-1200 is fully compatible with the full range of ELMO super-8 patter systems, including the third generation EP-4800D microprocessor controlled system (Introduction: Winter 2017)

-

-One can dream, after all!

--------------------

Kevin Clark
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 08, 2016 03:20 PM      Profile for Kevin Clark     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cheers Steve it is good to know it will be put to use and appreciated - I'll look into post costs ready for your PM.

Andrew - I'm always pleased to assist where possible as you know and the PayPal I receive is usually re-invested back into the hobby as more films or equipment. Also let me know what leaders you want by PM and I will work out a deal for you. I tend to use only the cream / grey type from the late great Larry Pearce of LGP Cine so any other colours or clear ones I have are up for grabs.

Kevin

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted September 08, 2016 03:26 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Kevin just send me a pm for any spare you have with a price and I will sort out payment on the same day pal.

Leave the clear for now just in case Lydia gets back to us here and decides she wants it.

If not, I will take that also in a couple of weeks time if you still have it and you don't want it. [Wink]

--------------------

Kevin Clark
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 08, 2016 04:15 PM      Profile for Kevin Clark     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Steve

I tried to send you a PM reply with my details and the postage quote but couldn't as your mailbox is full.

Kevin

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted September 08, 2016 05:20 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry About That!

-not used to being so popular!

(All fixed!)

--------------------

Daniel Macarone
Expert Film Handler

- posted September 09, 2016 08:45 AM      Profile for Daniel Macarone   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A platter system for Super 8 would be sweet. I can picture the cute little thing, looking like a miniature 35mm platter. Wouldn't it be great to project a film like Gone With the Wind on Super 8 without any reel changes?

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted September 09, 2016 10:07 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It would work best if you also bought the Elmo booth controller app for your smart phone, tablet or personal computer! ( [Wink] )

I think it would be a really cool thing too, I'd just feel a little...nervous having something like a mile of Super-8 film laying on its side with nothing holding it there but its own weight!

If things got too much out of hand, there might be nothing left to do but turn out the lights, lock the booth door and become a stamp collector!

--------------------

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted September 09, 2016 10:46 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
[Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Wink]

--------------------

Alessandro Pavoni
Master Film Handler

- posted September 12, 2016 03:20 AM      Profile for Alessandro Pavoni   Email Alessandro Pavoni   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Kevin, your private message mailbox is currently full.
I need the green film path (It is below the second sprocket shoe) for my Elmo GS 800.
thanks for looking

http://8mmforum.film-tech.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=002889

Kevin Clark
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 12, 2016 03:43 AM      Profile for Kevin Clark     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Alessandro

I've cleared my PM mailbox now - sorry about that.

I'll have a look through my spares tonight to see what I have.

Kevin

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC