8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Can't believe the price of 400 footers on ebay

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Can't believe the price of 400 footers on ebay
Mark Mander
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 09, 2016 04:11 PM      Profile for Mark Mander     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just recently the price of 400ft cutdowns are seriously bonkers on ebay, a faded Phantasm for £75 and a Raiders of the Lost Ark £123.99, all on bids, madness! !

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 1.0 lens
Elmo ST1200HD 1.1 lens
Sankyo 800 1.0 lens
Elmo 16CL
Elf NT1

|  IP: Logged

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted October 09, 2016 04:40 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Or very good if you're selling Mark! [Wink]

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Clyde Miles
Expert Film Handler

- posted October 09, 2016 05:01 PM      Profile for Clyde Miles     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
maybe they think there buying the complete feature, think these people will be very disappointed

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted October 09, 2016 05:15 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Raiders at least came with a very clear description Clyde.
It clearly stated that the film was a 400ft edition.

It had 26 bids from 10 different bidders.

It is a much sought after late Marketing title that always fetches a good price.

This price was exceptionally high, but it was claimed to have only been screened twice which surely must have added to the appeal given the level of activity surrounding this particular sale, especially towards the end.

I doubt anyone bidding would be unaware of what exactly they are bidding on.

Somebody recently was asking a similar price directly on the forums for this title.

--------------------

Melvin England
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 09, 2016 05:29 PM      Profile for Melvin England     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
High starting prices for 400'ers = Greed

High prices reached after bidding = Demand

--------------------
"My name is for my friends!"

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted October 09, 2016 05:38 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Agreed and to be fair Melvin, this Raiders print stayed very low until near to the end. £23 last time I looked at the bidding. That was only yesterday i'm sure.

Quality films started with a low bidding price, tend to be the ones selling for the highest amount I'm noticing more and more.

This way it encourages potential bidders to become interested from the outset and watch these goods through till the end.
The added interest definitely seems to encourage actual bidding activity using this method rather than just a few watchers when started high.

--------------------

William Fleming
Master Film Handler

- posted October 11, 2016 09:45 AM      Profile for William Fleming   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was out on Raiders at £51 went bonkers.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted October 11, 2016 12:03 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Melvin is quite correct in his short but accurate assessment.

however, I would also agree with the other members in they're stating that it is absolutely essential to have a clear listing of you're auction (feature or digest).

But quite frankly, if some of these sellers are either inheriting the films or just picking them up from somewhere, they may not be actually understanding that the 400ft reel ISN'T a full feature, and may well be, being honest in thier listing; just not having all the facts.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Mike Newell
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 11, 2016 12:08 PM      Profile for Mike Newell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think the prices reflect the 1970s film memorabilia market price rather than the worth to a film collector.

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted October 12, 2016 03:21 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I normally list any films with the length in feet but also the approx running time just in case someone tries it on.
I think it is going out of control and have to keep pulling myself back from the brink of thinking about selling a few. Sanity has to play a part even for us hardcore collectors. [Wink]

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted October 12, 2016 03:29 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
To simply hang onto these top titled films you DIDN'T pay a fortune for Tom, by virtue of buying them in a better era, IS the sane option imo.

It's irrelevant what collectors are prepared to pay now for some of them. You didn't have to and that's all that matters [Wink]

They are only fetching these high prices now simply as result of more demand than supply. Something you never needed to worry about in the era you purchased the bulk of your collection.

If I were you, I'd just be glad you didn't only just begin collecting. It would be really off putting seeing just how difficult it would be nowadays to get some of those titles you already have in the bag, let alone what you'd now need to pay for such a collection! [Wink]

--------------------

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC