8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Compression

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Compression
Will Trenfield
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 27, 2016 06:14 PM      Profile for Will Trenfield   Email Will Trenfield   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OT I know but some of us will have digitised precious family films so as to edit them and then transfer to DVD, post on YouTube to share with others or just store on a hard drive. I've used VirtualDub and I'm just wondering what compression others would recommend for the best quality.

|  IP: Logged

John Yapp
Expert Film Handler

- posted November 30, 2016 09:49 AM      Profile for John Yapp   Email John Yapp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Will,
I've always used "Uncompressed" until the final edit. This can lead to 30-40gig file sizes but another option is to use the lagarith lossless codec. It works fine with vdub.

Bill Brandenstein
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 30, 2016 12:00 PM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I highly recommend Lagarith because it's compatible with both 32-bit and 64-bit operations, and it's truly lossless.

However, it's a bit awkward for archiving due to the file size. XVid is a good open-source codec compatible with VirtualDub, and with the quality slider set to "1" (maximum), is decent looking and space-efficient. But consider that a lossy destination-only solution, just like mp3 or Dolby Digital is for audio.

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted November 30, 2016 12:04 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am too much the car guy here.

-I saw "compression" and I thought you were talking about cylinder heads, domed pistons and high octane gas!

(Carry On!)

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Will Trenfield
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 30, 2016 06:57 PM      Profile for Will Trenfield   Email Will Trenfield   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
LOL, Steve. Thanks John and Bill. I started digitising my films using the old method of projecting onto a white card (I now know that a grey one would have been better). The image was captured using an old analogue camcorder with the output fed to a Dazzle analogue to digital converter. The software with it was designed to transfer video tape recordings to DVD but you could save to a hard disk instead so I ended up with some hefty VOB files which I converted to AVI format. When editing with VirtualDub, I've been using the X264Fw codec which produces compact files suitable for uploading to YouTube. I tried using the ffdshow codec which resulted in far larger files. The Largarith codec seems to do the same and both are considerably larger than the original AVI one. The XVid one produces only slightly larger files than The X264Fw one when I experimented. I take it that it's a question of the quality you what to achieve for whatever you want to do with the video files.

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted November 30, 2016 07:03 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
No Will, you were right in the first instance, white card is THE best for traditional projection...why would anyone want anything else???????

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC