8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » 2x 400' (or even 1x 400') Better than their full length versions? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: 2x 400' (or even 1x 400') Better than their full length versions?
Melvin England
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 03, 2016 01:02 PM      Profile for Melvin England     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I noted on a thread elsewhere on the forum, a comment that one or two 2x 400' condensed films are actually more entertaining than their full length counterparts. The two mentioned were "Slapshot" and "The Jerk."

So.... let's get the ball rolling.....

Which 2x 400' (or even a 1x 400') cutdowns do you think are better than their full length versions?

Two more come to mind...

The Hindenburgh

Any more?..... Over to you......!

--------------------
"My name is for my friends!"

|  IP: Logged

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted December 03, 2016 03:43 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Island for one,
I personally think the 2 x 600 or the 600 work better,
Police academy 2,hawk the slayer and raise the titanic,also gremlins. [Wink]

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted December 03, 2016 05:09 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry Tom, I can't agree for either Gremlins or RTT but PA2, yeah you're probably right...an hour's enough ha ha.

Stunning print though and a good funny film on the hour long cut down. V.Nice indeed! [Wink]

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted December 04, 2016 03:23 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[Big Grin] [Wink]
Sticking to the 400 or 2 x 400 format, others that really do work well here, are
Elvis the movie, (the full film was soooo long, it wasn't rubbish though, just very long).
Helter Skelter,
The Kingdom of spiders,
Northsea Hijack,
Saturn 3
The Big Mouth, Jerry Lewis,
Tora Tora Tora
These are a few examples i think work well in this format better. All the full features were good, but all dragged out and padded, While the subject matters vary if you had all these in full length format how often would you want to project them?
Yet all in one evening on the above formats would make a pretty good evenings entertainment.
One in particular, The Jerry Lewis film, we saw the full feature recently and this 400ft version really does more or less show the best and funnier parts while keeping the story [Wink]

[ December 04, 2016, 10:40 AM: Message edited by: Tom Photiou ]

Mal Brake
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 04, 2016 04:37 AM      Profile for Mal Brake     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Being so episodic, Smokey & The Bandit worked well as a double album

--------------------
I'm gonna live forever or die trying

Mike Newell
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 04, 2016 05:34 AM      Profile for Mike Newell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Airport 80 as a cutdown is much better than feature still awful mind you but hilarious which I don't think was the original intention. Other contenders would the The Seven Ups 400 which holds all the action and story, another lovely little digest is Evel Knievel if you can get a non pink version. The 8mm version is actually better than the Many DVD versions. Always liked Dirty Mary and Crazy Larry which is usually a cracking print and also contains the story so well.

Dillinger 400 with Warren Oates is also very repeatable compared to the original American International feature.

Melvin England
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 04, 2016 05:51 AM      Profile for Melvin England     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not having seen the full feature, another 2x 400' that seems to work well, I feel, is "Paradise Alley" with Sylvester Stallone.

Any comments?

--------------------

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted December 04, 2016 06:02 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've been trying to get a good copy of Dillinger for years but they all look pinky now.

Mike Newell
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 04, 2016 07:23 AM      Profile for Mike Newell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I had my copy of Dillenger colour was fair to very good but it could well have turned now. I was surprised at how good it was I think I bought it at a buy and sell stall at one of the conventions. Pinking is one of the pitfalls of 8mm that I'm glad I never suffered too much from but seems to be more prevalent today.

Mike Newell
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 04, 2016 07:24 AM      Profile for Mike Newell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I had my copy of Dillenger colour was fairr to very good but it could well have turned now. I was surprised at how good it was I think I bought it at a buy and sell stall at one of the convention. Pinking is one of the pitfalls of 8mm that I'm glad I never suffered too much from but seems to be more prevalent today.

Mark Mander
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 04, 2016 11:28 AM      Profile for Mark Mander     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gold 2x400 is pretty good compared to the feature,Ben Hur for me as a 400ft is more than enough and Singing in the Rain 2x400 is great as you get the songs back to back, Mark

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 1.0 lens
Elmo ST1200HD 1.1 lens
Sankyo 800 1.0 lens
Elmo 16CL
Elf NT1

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted December 04, 2016 12:29 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Personally speaking, one aspect of the hobby I never quite got on board with is the digests and cutdowns. To me it's like reading abridged versions of works of literature.
But, of course, to each his, or her, own.😄

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted December 04, 2016 01:53 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For me the standout 2 x 400ft is the U8 print of The Sting.

All the 2 x 400 MGM musicals are wonderful as are the 2 x 400 Derann prints of the 1930's Busby Berkeley musicals.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted December 04, 2016 02:21 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Michael, i understand what your saying there but there are certain aspects which restrict some collectors, first, most of the abridged films on super 8, (especially columbia Universal and 20th century fox), were not available in any other length, and second and probably the most is the cost of full feature films.
Having said that, a poorly edited cut down really ruins a good film, two titles that, (in my opinion), come to mind are
Close Encounters, i thought the 400 ft release was abysmal, & as mentioned on another thread, Straigh Jacket. If they were all like these two i would wholeheartly agree with you there. [Wink]

David Skillern
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 04, 2016 02:30 PM      Profile for David Skillern   Email David Skillern   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I bought a selection of Universal 8 400ft from Blackpool and was highly impressed with Walter Matthau in Charley Varrick

Melvin England
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 04, 2016 03:06 PM      Profile for Melvin England     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Michael - I take it, then, that you would only purchase full length features?

Paul - Totally agree with you on all points.Those musicals are magic.

Tom - Maybe with the 1x 400' CE3K, the running time probably does not do it justice anyway. It was a deep philosophical film. However, I have a real soft spot for the 400'er.Even if the storyline is a bit vague, it is probably the most visually stunning 400'er ever made and when I viewed it for the first time, I was completely mesmerised by it.

--------------------

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted December 04, 2016 03:11 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think your right Melvin, it is one of my all time favourite movies, i was so disappointing with the home release but as you say, 400ft was just simply nowhere near enough for it.
The minimum for this title would have had to be 600 & even that would be pushing it. I saw this movie in the cinema 17 times. Why i never jumped in and bought the feature is beyond me. I didn't expect Derann to have it pulled from them.

Melvin England
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 04, 2016 04:31 PM      Profile for Melvin England     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes,it is/was a pity. It would have been one of those full length features I would have happily gone the extra mile(s) to acquire for my collection,as would many other collectors.It would have made Derek a very rich man!

--------------------

Mike Newell
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 04, 2016 05:14 PM      Profile for Mike Newell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The titles Universal brought out towards the end would have made you cry when you think what they could have released dross like Electric Horseman ,Incredible Shrinking Woman ,Little Miss Marker , Xanadu and the Nude Bomb. Can you imagine 2x400 of the classic horror movies , Jimmy Stewart westerns or Hitchcock films. Suppose we should be grateful for what they did without voice overs like Columbia releases!

Joseph Randall
Master Film Handler

- posted December 04, 2016 07:15 PM      Profile for Joseph Randall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't seen the full-length in many years but I always enjoy my 2x400' DRACULA with Frank Langella.

I also vote for SMOKEY AND THE BANDIT and THE STING. Haven't seen the former in full-length in many years, and for the latter, I can't say that the cut-down is better, but it is perhaps the best cut-down I have ever seen.

I believe that the 2x400' is the perfect length for a digest.

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted December 05, 2016 01:45 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Agree 100% there Joseph.
Also agree that Smokey and the bandit is one of the best 2 x 400ft films. Hard to get one with any decent colour left now. [Wink]

James N. Savage 3
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 05, 2016 09:04 AM      Profile for James N. Savage 3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I witnessed first-hand how a tightly-cut "Incredible Melting Man" 400 foot TOTALLY improved the movie. The crowded theater audience in 1977 did not seem to like the movie much at all, but when showing the fast-paced 16 minute digest to people I was often asked to "Show it again!" [Wink]

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted December 05, 2016 12:21 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I totally agree with 1941! It made an overlong, loud film pretty good as a 32 minute digest!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted December 05, 2016 01:13 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Michael, i understand what your saying there but there are certain aspects which restrict some collectors, first, most of the abridged films on super 8, (especially columbia Universal and 20th century fox), were not available in any other length, and second and probably the most is the cost of full feature films.
Absolutely, Tom. I totally understand that. It's just my personal preference.

Melvin - I also purchase shorts which were produced as shorts, of course.

Mike Newell
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 05, 2016 01:26 PM      Profile for Mike Newell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Midway Promo 200 reel and the Midway 400 made a satisfying movie you watch repeatedly whilst you could fall asleep easily watching the feature.

The Blues Brothers 2x400 was another digest that in some ways was better than the feature.

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC