8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Eumig Mark S speed problems out of the ordinary stuff. (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Eumig Mark S speed problems out of the ordinary stuff.
Niels Peter Buch
Film Handler

- posted December 12, 2016 02:06 PM      Profile for Niels Peter Buch   Email Niels Peter Buch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My Eumig cannot obtain speed ( 15 fps / 21 fps )
Disc drive sanded and cleaned with alcohol.
Still it wont to obtain right speed.

Driveshaft driven by hand seems normal !
Motorspindel can be stopped in action, when I lighty press the motor( spindle ) against the discdrive!

Where is my problem ?

Weak/faulty motor and can I "clean " this motor ?

If anyone out there can help, I would be very pleased.

Kind regards

--------------------
Niels Peter Buch

|  IP: Logged

Niels Peter Buch
Film Handler

- posted December 17, 2016 10:21 AM      Profile for Niels Peter Buch   Email Niels Peter Buch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Problem solved to an ok performance :

Motor consol on fanhouse : 2 screws unthigtend.

Motor lifted as high as possible in
oval slots.

Thightend screws

Speed now : 17 / 23 fps.

--------------------
Niels Peter Buch

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted December 17, 2016 10:38 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Well played Niels! [Wink]

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Niels Peter Buch
Film Handler

- posted December 17, 2016 10:49 AM      Profile for Niels Peter Buch   Email Niels Peter Buch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Andrew [Smile]
This was new to me.
It seems to me, that theese models from the early 60 s.
Has a slightly weaker motor or just plain " tired" due to age.

This can hopefully help other members in this great forum.

Merry Christmas [Smile]

--------------------
Niels Peter Buch

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted December 17, 2016 10:50 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
That's the idea Niels with these type of posts, I agree.
Congratulations once again my friend on your accomplishment. [Wink]

--------------------

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted December 17, 2016 06:54 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have found that wiping the rubber drive discs with a little automobile belt dressing applied to a Q-tip, seems to renew the rubber and restore the running speed.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

David Hardy
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 18, 2016 05:24 AM      Profile for David Hardy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The main problem with older rubber disc driven Eumigs
is that over time a groove is formed in the disc and this
leads to speed problems.
Its a shame there is no simple solution such as spraying some form of rubber solution into the groove.

--------------------
" My equipment's more important than your rats. "

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted December 18, 2016 05:41 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We must not forget that Niels' Eumig Mark S could now be over fifty years old as this model was marketed in 1965.
It's great that it now appears to be running satisfactorily.

--------------------
Maurice

David Hardy
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 18, 2016 05:47 AM      Profile for David Hardy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes Maurice my own Marks S is still chugging away.
It has speed problems too but gets up to speed when warmed
up. I let it run for a few minutes when I get it started before
threading up. It is so old it needs a "hand crank" to get it going.

A bit like a vintage motor car. Still its amazing it still
works and has sound. I still love it !

[Smile] [Smile] [Smile] [Smile] [Smile] [Smile]

--------------------

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted December 18, 2016 05:57 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Not so much in these early years, but certainly on all of their later models, its such a pity that Eumig being the experts in the field that they undoubtedly were, did not move away from this archaic friction wheel driven design that they stuck with right until the very end.

Had they had gone down the dc electronic driven route, their fabulous on board sound capabilities and recording facilities could have been fully realized as well as playback irregularities such as these,would have been completely eliminated.

--------------------

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted December 18, 2016 11:19 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have to agree with you there Andrew. I think if Eumig had set their sites on producing a projector like the GS1200 or Beaulieu, it would have been a stunning machine.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted December 18, 2016 01:38 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
It would certainly have been far better than the ones they did make,that's for sure!

Even then though, it'd be far cry from being like a Beaulieu Paul, in any respect.

Even the drive belt configuration on the later Eumigs is an absolute nightmare,just as in the same sense, so is the Bauer layout.

Both great machines, but when you look at the logical layout and build quality of a Beaulieu including components used...

No comparison I'm afraid.
Electronically maybe, mechanically...no where even close.

--------------------

Will Trenfield
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 18, 2016 03:05 PM      Profile for Will Trenfield   Email Will Trenfield   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've a couple of projectors which had this problem when I bought them. I wouldn't sand the rubber disks. I cleaned mine with 100% Isopropyl Alcohol. Then I stood the projector on its front and brushed brake fluid onto the front disk. This was left overnight to soak in. The next day, I wiped off the surplus, stood the machine on its back and repeated the process. Worked well and I haven't needed to do anything to them since.

David Hardy
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 18, 2016 03:13 PM      Profile for David Hardy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A great tip there Will. Thanks ! [Smile] [Smile] [Smile]

--------------------

Will Trenfield
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 18, 2016 05:03 PM      Profile for Will Trenfield   Email Will Trenfield   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's not my original idea, David, but one I saw suggested on another site when searching for advice. The brake fluid could be causing the rubber to expand. The braking system on a car has loads of rubber seals and washers so the fluid shouldn't do any harm to the rubber disks. Use plenty of kitchen paper towel under the disks when brushing the brake fluid on though in case it drips, as it can be corrosive to paint and copper apparently.

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted December 18, 2016 05:15 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd make sure if you are placing brake fluid on rubber friction linings, that it is the Glycol-Ether type and not the silicone or Mineral Oil based ones!

I'd imagine any solvent would do a job here of rejuvenating the surface of the rubber.

At the end of the day, all you are requiring, is to remove any shiny hardened glaze or lubricant from the surface to reinstate the frictional properties of the rubber again.
That is why using wet & dry or fine emery cloth does a great job also.

--------------------

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted December 18, 2016 05:44 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I seem to recall this conversation before, but it was "brake cleaner" and not "brake fluid".

I'm kind of lucky along these lines: I've been bracing for a slipped disk on my own Eumig for 14 years now and I haven't had the "pleasure" so far.

-great machine: I've had all sorts of more modern stuff I've bought brand new since I got it which died a long time ago!

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Will Trenfield
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 18, 2016 06:22 PM      Profile for Will Trenfield   Email Will Trenfield   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Whilst using Wet & Dry or fine emery paper would reduce surface glaze, there is the danger that over-zealous use with too hard a grade could remove some of the rubber coating which is the last thing you want. What grades would you suggest using if you were to go down this route?

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted December 19, 2016 10:46 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
The finest Will.

You'd be rubbing away from now until next Christmas before you'd significantly wear the rubber away using wet and dry.

That sounds a bit more like it btw Steve!

I personally, cannot imagine why anyone would wish to place hydraulic oil on a friction lining?

--------------------

David Hardy
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 20, 2016 01:39 PM      Profile for David Hardy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I read someone somewhere can replace the worn rubber disc.

Does anyone know who it is and how much it costs ?

--------------------

Simon Wyss
Film Handler

- posted December 21, 2016 12:38 PM      Profile for Simon Wyss   Email Simon Wyss   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The driven discs may not be the main problem.

There are more things to observe. One is that the motor has plain bearings which obviously run dry. If one feels resistance on twisting the motor spindle (unplug projector from the mains), the bearings are up. It’s not possible to lubricate them from outside. The motor must be disassembled. Machining for ball bearings is strongly advised.

Two, the motor is rocked in two directions, two studs of it are held in plastic parts that can disintegrate. If that’s the case, the drive is gone altogether. Here’s a pair of replacement holders a mechanic once made for me of POM. These can be slipped right into the cast metal frame and the motor put back between them.

-

In case of interest I can have more rhomboids made and send them out. One would look at probably $40 for a pair plus shipping.

Again, the motor bearings represent the bigger problem, so I’d switch to an other projector for Regular-Eight film. With 8-S the choice of sound projectors appears to be smaller but I think the investments are well worth it to a heavy user.

David Hardy
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 21, 2016 03:24 PM      Profile for David Hardy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for that further information Simon.
Very helpful indeed. [Smile]

--------------------

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted December 21, 2016 03:26 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Indeed!

Great work there Simon, thanks for sharing it here. [Smile] [Wink]

--------------------

Will Trenfield
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 21, 2016 04:19 PM      Profile for Will Trenfield   Email Will Trenfield   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Replacement motor mounts are also available from Van Eck Video Services. See http://shop.van-eck.net/PP-0138.html. The plastic which holds the mounts just falls apart with age like the feet.

Niels Peter Buch
Film Handler

- posted December 21, 2016 04:57 PM      Profile for Niels Peter Buch   Email Niels Peter Buch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This thread seems to develop .... great.
Im all " ears ".
Thank you very much !

--------------------
Niels Peter Buch

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC