8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Collecting Cut-downs. (Digests) (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Collecting Cut-downs. (Digests)
Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted December 21, 2016 07:11 AM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Think of digests as, a long-term trailer or teaser, if you will - For those who cannot afford the entire film at present, they suffice - What are Castle, Columbia or Ken Films for that matter but cut-down digest editions also, and with the accompanying artwork boxes, they have been mainstay collector items for years - I must give credit to those who tried and piece together a decent 400' digest of a film, overall, excellent work for the collector - Those U-8 horror ones are still in demand - Shorty

|  IP: Logged

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 21, 2016 10:15 AM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Of course some (i assume where the film was too complex to edit down to 400ft coherently) were advertised just as "Selected scenes".

That would satisfy those who just wanted favourite portions of the film.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted December 21, 2016 11:26 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There are even those cases where a digest is a marked improvement over the original film. you get the best parts (as a general rule) without having to sit thru all the rest.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

David Hardy
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 21, 2016 03:37 PM      Profile for David Hardy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with you there Joe regarding the Castle / Columbia /
Ken / box artworks.

For me its a big part of the attraction of collecting digests.

In fact I have turned down buying a print if it is not in its
original box . [Smile]

--------------------
" My equipment's more important than your rats. "

Mike Newell
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 21, 2016 04:00 PM      Profile for Mike Newell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi

Hellfighters John Wayne as a 200 ft digest is a prime example of a cutdown being infinitely better than the feature. I think the editors realised they would be hard pushed to get anymore decent footage into a 400fter. 😂 Yet, I think it was Barry or Derek who said Universal planned it as a feature release. Please spare us. To obviously go with the other gems The Conqueor ☠☠☠ and Jet Pilot ✈️✈️✈️

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted December 22, 2016 12:39 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK, this will blow you're mind, but I THINK that there was actually a very short run of feature prints of Hellfighters on super 8, no kidding!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted December 23, 2016 08:45 AM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Back when I was a young lad in the early 70's, I would've killed to be able to afford to buy all of the digests I read about in MM, etc. I did own a handful and still have them.
As I grew older and became more interested in film history and film as an artform, video was becoming available and I was readily able to watch full features at home. From that point on I never saw the point of the digest...not when the full feature was available in some format.

That said, I do see the nostalgia value in owning and projecting digests. As someone else alluded to above, the collection of these has become almost a sub-genre of film collecting in itself. This forum is testimony to that. It is peculiar to Super 8, of course. There aren't many 16mm collectors, at least that I've met, who are interested in collecting what limited 16mm digests there are.

Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 23, 2016 09:54 AM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi, I think you are right there.

I can see everyone's perspective, but owning a half hour version of Star Wars and The Empire Strikes back that you could show your mates on a "big" screen back in 1980 was just amazing!

Also, as said, I think some films really do work well as digests.

Raise the Titanic, The Fog, Genevieve and even the 2 x 600ft version of Gremlins all work as really nice short versions of the full feature and despite Blu-ray, etc. I still very much enjoy screening these today. [Wink]

Douglas Warren
Master Film Handler

- posted December 27, 2016 08:39 AM      Profile for Douglas Warren     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For me, it's a cost effective (and nostalgia fueled) way to be part of the film collecting community. That's why (and I agree with all the positive points made previously) about why I still collect (and enjoy) digests. One may ask why collect them at all, but you could use the same logic why anyone would spend hundreds (pounds or dollars) on a Super-8 feature when other quality formats are available for a tiny fraction of the cost. Once again, each to their own I suppose and every segment of the hobby will always have its fans.

--------------------
Turn out the lights,the movie is starting!

Brad Kimball
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 27, 2016 10:39 AM      Profile for Brad Kimball   Email Brad Kimball   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My family and friends can't wrap their brains around the concept of watching 9-18 minutes of a movie so for them I normally run full-length features. For me , digests are a product of nostalgia. Yes, the color is often atrocious and the editing by Ken and Columbia is often questionable, but they bring me back to when I was 15 years old and still living at home without a care in the world save for getting good grades in school. Every dollar of my allowance and monies earned from part-time jobs was invested in film collecting and because of the high cost of features I primarily bought cut downs.

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC