8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » How often should you replace belts?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: How often should you replace belts?
Brad Kimball
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 22, 2017 04:23 PM      Profile for Brad Kimball   Email Brad Kimball   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
After nearly 30 years they still look okay. Should one simply replace them anyway and in what intervals? I have 2 Chinon 7000 and a Eumig S802.

|  IP: Logged

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted January 22, 2017 05:55 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
No point until necessary. If a belt is good,and working entirely correctly, why change it?

This 30 yr ruling is more applicable to electrolytic capacitors than it ever is for any mechanical component that still functions 100% correctly.

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Clinton Hunt
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 22, 2017 10:02 PM      Profile for Clinton Hunt   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am the same as Andrew.I only replace the belts if I'm watching a film or switching it on after a long time of no use, and nothing turns.
Then I go to my spare belts container or if there isn't a replacement then I go to a machinery/pump place here in Matamata and get an "o" ring. [Smile]

--------------------
Cheers from me in New Zealand :-)

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted January 22, 2017 11:35 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
But sometimes, old belt can snap in the middle of the show. If this thing happen, this mean one-two frames will get burnt if you do not stop the light instantly.

For belt that tends to loosen you will notice the change, e.g slowing down. But for cracking belt, you can hardly notice it, and suddenly it snaps.

I just starting the topic with that very issue here: Belt is not melting or loosen, but cracking. What material is this?

You need to open your projector and see what type of symthom you have. If it is the latter, change your belt now.

cheers,

--------------------
Winbert

Phil Murat
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 23, 2017 01:32 AM      Profile for Phil Murat   Email Phil Murat   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Winbert,

I get Beaulieu's & Heurtier's , each of them have still their "genuine" belts and from origine, means something like 36 years old .......

however, Heurtier seems to be showing Silicon material belt (to confirm) ......

Both Beaulieu's & Heurtier"s category looks to be in excellent condition.

Only replace belts over an "on condition" status.....

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted January 23, 2017 05:35 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is what I see, the old belt (genuine) seems to last longer. But the new made belt it is not, and I guess it is made of different material that can crack.

--------------------
Winbert

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted January 23, 2017 05:40 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
It's also worthy of note that "the better machines" will NOT burn a single frame if the main drive belt snaps.

They have electronic detection when the main drive load reduces drastically and as soon as the motor begins to over speed, the whole unit, including the lamp circuit, shuts down immediately to protect your films until the belt is replaced.

I've had this happen to me now on two occasions and not one single frame of film is tarnished in any way.

--------------------

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 23, 2017 11:26 AM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Also those who have replaced tungsten lamps with LEDs (A1/17s etc) won't have to worry about burnt frames.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted January 23, 2017 12:15 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When they get gooey!

OSI, master of the obvious. [Smile]

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Douglas Warren
Master Film Handler

- posted January 24, 2017 08:26 AM      Profile for Douglas Warren     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm with Andrew and Clinton on this: No need to change them until the day they go "snap". It's amazing how long some belts truly last!

--------------------
Turn out the lights,the movie is starting!

Evan Samaras
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 24, 2017 10:44 AM      Profile for Evan Samaras   Author's Homepage   Email Evan Samaras   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"If it ain't broke, don't fix it"

--------------------
...When there's no more room in hell, the dead will walk the Earth...

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted January 24, 2017 11:49 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Agreed, but do collate your data!
One day it won't always work so well!

Voltage test points, torque values,belt tension values, speed calibrations, claw penetration measurements etc etc.😊😊

Do all of this when your machine is running at its peak, it will all come in very handy one day.

It's called Centrelining or Midranging and its how professional engineers return any electro mechanical process back to how it runs best.

--------------------

Brad Kimball
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 24, 2017 01:16 PM      Profile for Brad Kimball   Email Brad Kimball   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you. I think I'll just wait it out. So far, "knock on wood", all is running okay.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC