8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Can super8 conversion be any better than this ?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Can super8 conversion be any better than this ?
Amund Hovde
Junior

- posted January 26, 2017 10:11 AM      Profile for Amund Hovde   Email Amund Hovde   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
https://vimeo.com/201580895

[ January 29, 2017, 05:59 PM: Message edited by: Amund Hovde ]

--------------------
Amund

|  IP: Logged

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted January 26, 2017 11:37 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Very nice. I wonder what kind of film stcok was used, as it looks slightly faded. Most home movie stocks don't fade like that.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Tom Spielman
Master Film Handler

- posted January 26, 2017 12:05 PM      Profile for Tom Spielman   Email Tom Spielman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Seems to be very well done. I'd be happy if my parents home movies turned out nearly as well.

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted January 26, 2017 01:07 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm guessing this was a frame-by-frame transfer. Image clarity and contrast is excellent...with stablization and cleaning filters it would look even better.

--------------------
Janice

"I'm having a very good day!"
Richard Dreyfuss - Let It Ride (1989).

Amund Hovde
Junior

- posted January 26, 2017 02:38 PM      Profile for Amund Hovde   Email Amund Hovde   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I'm guessing this was a frame-by-frame transfer. Image clarity and contrast is excellent...with stablization and cleaning filters it would look even better.
Hello Janice !

This is real time transfeer with Focusskye projector from ebay. I use a panasonic AG-HMC40 camcorder

What do you mean with stablization, and do you have any tips for cleaning filters ? I use a microfiber cloth before the film goes in to the projector, I am afraid to use anything that is wet to clean the film in case i destroy the film.

Thank you

--------------------
Amund

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted January 26, 2017 06:20 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Amund...My comments about stabilization and cleaning refer to post processing with software. There are Virtual Dub filters and AviSynth scripts that are very effective in enhancing film captures.

The best AviSynth scripts I've found were written by Video Fred. You can download them here http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=144271. Fred's scripts are made for frame-by-frame captures, but I have used them with real-time captures for great improvements. Fred's scripts stabilize, clean, denoise, sharpen, color correct, crop, and adjust speed. All parameters can be customized. However AviSynth scripting can be a bit daunting and Fred's scripts may take lots of trial and error to get the results you want.

Just using VirtualDub and it's built-in or downloadable filters may be an easier route to improve your captures.

Do a search on YouTube to see several demos of VirtualDub in use.

--------------------
Janice

Alan Gouger
Master Film Handler

- posted January 26, 2017 07:01 PM      Profile for Alan Gouger     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Amazing how detailed S8 can look for such a small aperture.

Tom Spielman
Master Film Handler

- posted January 26, 2017 08:03 PM      Profile for Tom Spielman   Email Tom Spielman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I remember my mother once paid to get my Grampa's old rocking chair restored. She asked the person doing the work if it would be possible to sand away or fill in the significant chew marks left by a dog at some point in the chair's history.

He said that he could certainly do it but recommended that they be left because they were part of the history of the chair and the dog was probably a beloved pet. It was also painted an awful shade of green at the time but he had no problem with the idea of erasing that bit of history. [Wink]

So this begs the question for which I believe there is no right answer but it is fun to discuss. By removing some of the imperfections present in the original movie, are you removing a bit of history?

On the one hand, the whole reason the movie was made in the first place was to capture those moments. And I'm sure the person behind the camera wanted the results to be as good as they could realistically be. They'd prefer not to have a lot of distracting camera movement, the subjects to be out of focus, the images to be badly underexposed, or the colors to be off.

On the other hand, when I see the occasionally jerky camera work in my Dad's home movies, I picture him holding the camera and filming. Or when he obviously forgot to put the daylight filter in place, or chose the wrong aperture setting. You don't ever see my father, but he was there.

By "correcting" those imperfections on a computer, I would be partly removing my father from behind the camera, which is a shame in a way since he was so rarely in front of it. He of course would have no problem with it and would be thrilled that it's now possible to fix those things he couldn't.

What fun would it be to have my Dad back from the dead and in front of the computer looking at those 50 year old movies and making them better just with a few mouse clicks. He would like that I think.

I guess the answer is to get an uncorrected copy, and a corrected one.

Joe Taffis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 26, 2017 09:22 PM      Profile for Joe Taffis   Email Joe Taffis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tom, that's a beautiful story... [Smile]

--------------------
Joe Taffis

Amund Hovde
Junior

- posted January 29, 2017 06:00 PM      Profile for Amund Hovde   Email Amund Hovde   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Janice for giving me this tip about moviefred scripts

Look at this. its its beautiful !!!

https://vimeo.com/201580895

--------------------
Amund

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted January 29, 2017 08:51 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Much improved Amund. Your initial capture was very good...but now with the restoration scripts the result is outstanding. Nice work.

[ January 29, 2017, 10:35 PM: Message edited by: Janice Glesser ]

--------------------
Janice

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted January 30, 2017 12:50 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just fyi, another best transfer method was done by Mattias Norberg

https://vimeo.com/82497785

Surely it also depend on the quality of the film, but with denoise and deshake, his transfer will look even great.

--------------------
Winbert

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted January 30, 2017 12:01 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
MUCH better on the facial tones! Good job!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted January 31, 2017 09:37 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thought I would add one of my transfers. This clip is from a much longer video montage that I edited for my twin sisters on their 50th birthday. The original footage was not good with dirt and hair on the lens. I cleaned it up as best I could.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/3864644/Let%20Them%20Be%20Little.mp4

-

[ February 01, 2017, 05:48 PM: Message edited by: Janice Glesser ]

--------------------
Janice

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted February 01, 2017 12:09 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I also wanted to respond to the pros and cons of using restoration scripts on film transfers. I'm not in favor of making the film image look perfect. Some imperfections are what we expect in watching old films...light leaks...dirt spots...shaking... fading colors..etc. However when the imperfections become more of a distraction to the content... for me some restoration can make watching much more pleasurable. Others my be just as satisfied leaving things be... with no modifications. No right or wrong here...just a personal choice.

--------------------
Janice

Tom Spielman
Master Film Handler

- posted February 01, 2017 05:03 PM      Profile for Tom Spielman   Email Tom Spielman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for addressing that Janice. I remember my first attempt at filming anything was in college using my father's 8mm camera. I was shooting as I was walking towards this banner I was trying to capture. When viewed that particular sequence looks like we were in the middle of an earthquake. [Wink]

Yes, it was clearly distracting and in the process of digitizing I'd want to smooth it out, but if it's possible and I have the space I think I would always want to save an uncorrected digitized version along with the improved one.

With my father's films in particular, I rarely remember the event itself that he was filming. I do remember watching the films as a kid. In that sense preserving the memory for me is preserving the images as they were.

[ February 01, 2017, 09:18 PM: Message edited by: Tom Spielman ]

Will Trenfield
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 01, 2017 07:00 PM      Profile for Will Trenfield   Email Will Trenfield   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've some family footage which I've digitised, warts and all. There have been some sequences of local events, though, which I've edited out, cleaned up and posted on YouTube for others to enjoy and they've been well-received. I suppose it all depends as to whom the footage is aimed at.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC