8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Fumeo 9119 no sound (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Fumeo 9119 no sound
Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted March 04, 2017 03:33 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wanted to watch a film with this fantastic projector but it seems that a problem occured since last time I used it (about one week ago). There is no sound. I mean there is a hum (when the selector is set on "magnetic", not when it is on "optical" mode) but the sound from the fimtrack doesn't come out nor from the internal speaker nor from an external one. What is Strange is that it didn't happen during a projection, the last one has been perfect until the end. As this projector is heavy, is someone could give me one or two points to check before I bring it to a repairman that would be great as sadly we have no one who could fix a Fumeo in Brussels.

--------------------
Dominique

|  IP: Logged

Paul Browning
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 04, 2017 04:35 PM      Profile for Paul Browning   Email Paul Browning   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Dom, sound like the output transistors are blown. There is a fuse for these on the back of the machine, check this first. If this has blown replace with the exact same type and rating, if this blows too, one or more of the output transistors are grounded. Check this first and let me know.

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted March 04, 2017 05:42 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Paul ! I will check that on Monday.

--------------------
Dominique

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted March 04, 2017 06:37 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Something that's interesting to try (if the machine has it) is plugging a mic into the PA input.

If you can get sound this way then at least you know your Amp is OK.

(Anybody out there ever use the PA in a show? My "crowds" aren't usually that big! "We can hear you!")

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted March 04, 2017 06:51 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've just tried, Steve. It works (well with feedback but the mike was close to the projector). I guess that's not good as it means that the fuse replacement solution (which sounded easy, maybe too easy) is to be forgotten.
To answer your question Steve, I don't use a mike (but 99% of my projections have only one viewer)

--------------------
Dominique

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted March 04, 2017 08:28 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Welllll...

I guess now it's more down to the head, the wiring from the head to the amp, or the mechanism pressing the film down on the head. (I've lost sound because the presser wasn't clamping down. It was just some foreign object caught in the mechanism.)

-and I guess your final amplifier stage transistors are OK.

Yes, typically once a winter we have maybe as many as ten friends drop in and watch a feature and some shorts. (We had Fantasia 2000 two weeks ago). They can hear me perfectly well without the PA, and I'd feel silly using it!

-But some school day I'll plug in the PA, amp the machine, crank the volume and:

"STEVEN! GET OUTA BEDDDD!!!!!"

(Why have 'em if you can't enjoy 'em?)

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Alan Gouger
Master Film Handler

- posted March 04, 2017 09:42 PM      Profile for Alan Gouger     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dominique ck to make sure the monitor slide switch on the back is set properly. Check the position to make sure your not set for external speakers.
One more thing to check,remove the back cover the audio board can come unseated. This board sits near the front of the projector and runs left to right stands up vertical and slides into a socket. Make sure it is seated properly. I had this board come lose once on mine and I lost audio until I discovered this board had come lose. Best of luck.

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted March 05, 2017 06:15 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Alan, I don't understand : I checked the projector today and it works ! Yesterday when I plugged it I heard a loud noise. Not today. In the past I've had several time some "radio" interférences. In French, the word "transistor" may refer to a radio set, although it's an old fashioned meaning, I don't know if it's the same in English, since there is a "transistor" in the projector, could that act like a radio ? Could that explain why the projector didn't play the sound yesterday and plays fine today without any change ? The most important thing of course is that it works but that's Strange. It's too late to Watch a complete film today but I will run one this week.

--------------------
Dominique

Alan Gouger
Master Film Handler

- posted March 05, 2017 11:53 PM      Profile for Alan Gouger     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Dominique it is hard to guess what the issue might be but if you have more trouble in the future let us know.
I am happy the sound is working again and I am also happy to see another Fumeo user on the forum they are wonderful projectors in many ways. I just recently secured a 9119 "Xenon" very rare. This came from the factory right before they closed. From my experience they are very safe on film.
I hope your audio is trouble free from now on:)

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted March 06, 2017 04:50 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've just projected a 480 mt reel without any trouble (except that the metallic belt of the take up arm broke when I started to rewind the film but that's not a big problem as they are easy to fix). I had no noise when I plugged the projector in so I guess if the "transistor" theory is not correct. I just have to keep my fingers crossed, hoping there won't be bad waves when I want to use my Fumeo :-)

--------------------
Dominique

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted March 06, 2017 05:12 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
No stereo though Alan....ever! [Wink]

Safe,stereo...the perfecto formula! 😊😊

"Nessuna registrazione o" btw [Wink]

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Paul Browning
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 06, 2017 05:24 PM      Profile for Paul Browning   Email Paul Browning   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dom, you do get a hum noise if the transistor is grounded, this has 2 output transistors, I had this happen to mine without any notice, but the fuse had blown, this is why I asked you to check the fuse first. The boards are a bit of a rats nest, not that great really, but work well.

Alan Gouger
Master Film Handler

- posted March 06, 2017 05:39 PM      Profile for Alan Gouger     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Andrew this is a 9119 STEREO XENON they were made 2011/2012 by Fumeo on special request. Very rare.
250 watt xenon last generation up to 2000 hours.Two light output setting's first 1500 lumens second 2500 lumens, twice the light of the Fumeo 500watt Xenon version.
It has the Eumig 1.0 - 18 - 28mm .
Stereo sound with special sound head by Photovox and dedicated pre amp stereo circuit. All self contained from the factory yet it looks like a stock 9119.

Currently my Beaulieu is by far my brightest projector beating the Elmo GS Xenon. The Xenon Fumeo is on its way and it will be interesting to compare the light output between the two.

The Beaulieu has that reverse pressure plate for rock steady focus on all film stock. I find several good points that I enjoy between the Elmo, Beaulieu, Fumeo. I wish there was one projector that incorporated all the goodies under one hood but that would take the fun out of the hobby I would no longer have a reason to try something else.

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted March 06, 2017 05:55 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Beaulieu "safe" thread after thread Alan, that does it for me hence why I have, or not now, nor will ever have, any qualms whatsoever on spending big time (within reason) on prints.

Now send in the clowns! 😁😊
https://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=ODqj9Mq39FM

You have single handed master minded the best of everything Alan, fair play to you sir!

--------------------

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted March 06, 2017 06:03 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul, since I got sound I didn't check the fuses. That's Something I will have to do. There is no ground on the plug I use for projections (that's a mistake, I know) but it is the same I used with and without sound. Could the electrical net work as a kind of antenna ? I ask this because I remember in the 80's an ad for an accessory that was supposed to use the electrical installation as a big antenna for your tv set. You plugged one side on your tv and the other on the 220 v network (of course there was only one wire connected to the elctrical net otherwise your tv set would have exploded). I never new if that was Something that really worked or just "one of these things".

--------------------
Dominique

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted March 06, 2017 06:11 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
wot????

??????????????????????????????????

--------------------

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted March 06, 2017 06:36 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Andrew, I don't remember the name of that accessory. It was advertised on a French magazine, so it was maybe made there.

UPDATE : Trying to find a reference, I found that discussion (in French, I'm afraid). To sumarize, someone asked if this worked and the answsers are : no http://www.tvnt.net/forum/reseaux-electrique-faisant-office-d-antenne-t16634.html

--------------------
Dominique

Alan Gouger
Master Film Handler

- posted March 06, 2017 11:10 PM      Profile for Alan Gouger     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dominique I have a few parts machines if you ever need anything.

Paul Browning
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 07, 2017 01:23 AM      Profile for Paul Browning   Email Paul Browning   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I WOULD CHECK THE FUSE ANYWAY DOM. WHEN I CHECKED MINE WHEN IT WENT FAULTY THE FUSE FELL TO PIECES IT HAD BEEN IN THERE THAT LONG. AS FOR THE EARTHING, WELL SOMETIMES YOU CAN GET HUM LOOPS IF YOU HAVE TOO MANY, BUT NOT HAVING IT MAINS EARTHED IS NOT GOOD, YOU SHOULD GET THAT SORTED FOR YOUR OWN SAFETY.

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 07, 2017 02:40 AM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know what radio breakthrough you got, but this was often due to a bad connection (plug or soldered) acting as a diode and allowing amplitude modulated radio signals to be detected and amplified. I wonder if the fuse holder or fuse body has become slightly corroded and causing this.

Kevin Clark
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 07, 2017 05:37 AM      Profile for Kevin Clark     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I hope your projector continues to behave Dominique - I have a 9119 myself but as all the faults were fixed by Bill I am not in a position to offer any real expertise to help you fault find.

Alan - your new Fumeo Stereo 9119 Xenon acquisition sounds amazing - you must post some pictures and details when it arrives and you have used it - in case it has a 'twin' that someone wants to sell please let me know!

Kevin

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted March 07, 2017 05:56 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Take note of Paul's excellent advise above Dominique, regarding your own safety when using this or any other machine for that matter.
This is a fully metal bodied machine!!

Nearly all MUST be earthed and certainly this one should!!

(Maybe some very very old equipment perhaps could be exempt, but this only makes matters even more risky,whenever handling these machines.)

--------------------

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted March 07, 2017 06:22 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Have a look at this very interesting video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tb7o4Tnd1dY

--------------------
Maurice

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted March 07, 2017 06:43 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Nice work if you can get it Maurice!

A truly professional restoration!😊

Looks like a little Fameccanica Engineering used there for that trolley! 😁😁

--------------------

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted March 07, 2017 08:18 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would certainly like to have the spool control system.
It would be certainly an improvement on my 9119 where I always find difficulty in getting the correct settings for the spool tensioning.

--------------------
Maurice

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC