8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Sanity clause. (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: Sanity clause.
David Hardy
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 07, 2017 08:39 AM      Profile for David Hardy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Can someone please explain to me why some collectors are
willing to part with large sums of cash in order to buy what
i consider to be 'run of the mill' commercial fodder Hollywood films ?

Analysis please. [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

--------------------
" My equipment's more important than your rats. "

|  IP: Logged

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted March 07, 2017 09:32 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Such as David?

I think the words "I Consider" here may answer your own question though.

Titles would be nice though on this one please David, so we can compare the opinions of yourself with the opinions of the masses.

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Mathew James
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 07, 2017 09:44 AM      Profile for Mathew James   Email Mathew James   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I love the Marx brothers, but unfortuanetely I do NOT own one film of theirs but would love any of them(as an example).
Reason i have none currently is i can't find any reasonably priced, ie. I am not "willing to part with large sums of cash in order to buy what i consider to be 'run of the mill' commercial fodder Hollywood films"
I agree with David. Many things are just too overpriced, nevermind shipping if you find one not so bad.

--------------------
--
Cheers,
Matt 📽

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted March 07, 2017 09:55 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
It's just the same as any other hobby Mathew, it very much depends at what level you want to be involved in it at.

I have mates at work that spend in excess of seven grand per annum to pursue golf, just because they insist on exclusive club membership to some of the "better" courses in the NW region.

Not something I would ever do, but they like golf.
Really like golf! [Wink]

--------------------

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted March 07, 2017 11:46 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You should luck out, sooner or later, Mathew ...

"A Night in Casablanca" comes up quite often. it is a slightly edited feature (4X400), but all that is edited out is the always irritating love scenes between the unecessary love interests, (non marx actors0, so, it's a winner. Even "Love Happy" pops up occasionally (I'd skip it)

AHHHH! But the "Holy Grail" print of the Marx Brothers DOES pop up every once in a blue moon. There was a very small print run of the full feature of "Duck Soup", and it is a very nice find if you can get ahold of it!

Another really neat "Marx" fins is a reel that the "Reel Image" (not Steve Osbournes firm), put out, which was a "coming attractions' reel for the film "Monkey Business" which was actually lifted from the Mark Brothers stage play "I'll Say She Is", which is actually used in a different variation is Monkey Business (the whole business of impersonating Maurice Chevalier), and while it has a poor focus to it, for the Marx collector, it's a must!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Mathew James
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 07, 2017 12:50 PM      Profile for Mathew James   Email Mathew James   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The holy grail for me in this regard would be the actual 'sanity clause' film itself: a full version on super 8 of Night At the Opera. Now if this was available, i would be quite happy..but again, i don't want to pay a fortune.This one is not commercial fodder to me [Smile] but all my Laurel and Hardy's, some of which i paid $8 for a couple years ago, are now on ebay at 60$+. These may be considered fodder [Smile]
Sanity Clause:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_Sy6oiJbEk

--------------------
--
Cheers,
Matt 📽

David Hardy
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 07, 2017 02:35 PM      Profile for David Hardy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the replies guys.

Here are some titles I consider Hollywood fodder and very overated and bored the hell out of me ...

Star Wars.
Close Encounters Of The Third Kind.
Back To The Future.
Rocky.
Die Hard.
Ghostbusters.
Romancing The Stone.
Robin Hood ( Disney )
Fox And The Hound ( Disney )
Flash Gordon.( 1980 )
Highlander.
... and much much more.

Give me Laurel and Hardy and The Marx Brothers any time.
[Wink] [Wink] [Wink]

--------------------

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted March 07, 2017 04:04 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
David, i myself would love all those titles but like you, i am sane, i am more than happy to pay the normal prices for films, ( i was dumb enough to turn down a copy of die hard a couple years ago and regretted it ever since, at that precise time the funds simply were not there),but i guess like many things in life if your bank account is unlimited then you wont worry about prices.
wIth the digital projection equipment,(yes i know its not the same) offering such high quality image and sound for peanuts in comparison it does beggar belief that anyone would pay over a grand for a movie with lines and splices, (remember the scratched copy of t2 that went for well over a grand?)Maybe one day i'll be more than happy to get these sums for my films but knowing my luck it will go full circle.
To answer your question David, i really am stumped and confused why anyone would pay a thousand , or even over 400 for any film. (even thats way over what i would consider paying.
Having said all that, if it is a passion and what you live for then i guess its fill your boots [Wink]

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted March 07, 2017 04:05 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
If you were to offer these titles to many different collectors over the entire collecting time period, every one of them would sell time after time. Some, there simply has never been enough copies of to supply the demand.

Everyones tastes in films is different, but to the vast majority of people, a famous titled film becomes one simply through popularity not over hyped media.

If your tastes differ from mainstream David, thats fine , but labeling such popular titles as Highlander for example as Holywood Fodder simply will not wash with many a film lover who also enjoys a blockbuster now and again.

Thats why it is they that WILL spend handsomely on prints like Highlander for example.

--------------------

Ty Reynolds
Film Handler

- posted March 07, 2017 04:16 PM      Profile for Ty Reynolds   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
David, why does it bother you so much that other people have different taste than you?

To answer your question, some people like what you consider to be "run of the mill" commercial fodder Hollywood films. Isn't that enough?

Tom Spielman
Master Film Handler

- posted March 07, 2017 06:00 PM      Profile for Tom Spielman   Email Tom Spielman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I guess I'm a bit of an oddball in this group considering I collect neither films, DVDs, or Blu Rays. Amazon Prime, Netflix, and others are sufficient for my movie tastes. Pretty much the only movies we've purchased are the ones the kids would watch over and over and over again, along with some Christmas classics that get repeated viewings.

So from that standpoint, spending more than a few dollars on any title doesn't make a lot of sense for me regardless of format.

As others have said, the value of a given film to a particular buyer depends on the buyer themselves. Further I strongly believe that for some, the pleasure comes more from the "obtaining" than the "owning". You could even swap the word "obtaining" with "winning" and that would help explain why some people will bid outrageous sums for a film or anything else.

Alan Rik
Film God

- posted March 07, 2017 06:10 PM      Profile for Alan Rik   Email Alan Rik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have to say...I love that list! I own and love many of those films.
Rocky-Best PIcture of the Year 1977-Close Encounters-Beautiful film with great special effects, Star Wars..well...Classic.
One thing about our hobby is that Super 8 has proven to look great on a big screen and Science Fiction films really look the best on the big screen. And action films. Well..really all films for that matter.
Also I think that if you grew up with those films they are special to you. Maybe if you analyzed the films themselves they may not be the "best" but owning a piece of your childhood is priceless. Well maybe not priceless..these days around $400-1800 lately.
What films would you mortgage the house for? If any?
I have to agree one of the cheesiest campiest films films ever made I own..1980's
Flash Gordon. Yup. Its bad. But I love it!

Joseph Randall
Master Film Handler

- posted March 07, 2017 07:37 PM      Profile for Joseph Randall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Matt,

Go for the extract from the Marx's OPERA. It runs 36 minutes and is excellent.

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted March 08, 2017 02:17 AM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Would anyone like to part with there mint, but boring print of "Star Wars" for some old Laurel and Hardy films that I have lying around [Big Grin]

Steven J Kirk
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 08, 2017 03:11 AM      Profile for Steven J Kirk   Email Steven J Kirk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, I buy the best condition and best quality prints... Original boxes if super 8. Don't have to be favourite films. Always looking for mediocre 1990s 16mm prints at good prices. I want the best examples of the formats if you see what I mean.

--------------------
VistaVision
Motion Picture High-Fidelity

David Hardy
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 08, 2017 03:12 AM      Profile for David Hardy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes guys I guess one mans run of the mill Hollywood fodder
is another mans cinematographic masterpiece.

Like Tom however I am still unwilling to pay over the odds for
any film at present regardless of how fat my bank account might be at the time.

I never understood why Rocky got a best picture award when much better films such as Network or Taxi Driver should have.
Hey ho there you go that's the Oscars for you.

However there was a certain irony when Annie Hall was awarded
best picture when Woody Allen cant stand the Oscars ceremonies
and the general razzmatazz and tacky glamour surrounding it.

As for Star Wars well I better keep my views on that one to
myself as the Jedi Masters may pursue me to the darkside for
revenge.

If I did have a mint print of this on 8mm I would gladly sell
for a ridiculous sum of cash. In fact I would gladly exchange
it for some decent prints of Laurel and Hardy or Charlie Chaplin
films anytime.

My sanity clause is that digital is here and its bloody cheaper
and good value for money. [Wink] [Wink] [Wink] [Wink] [Wink] [Wink]

--------------------

Alan Rik
Film God

- posted March 08, 2017 07:56 AM      Profile for Alan Rik   Email Alan Rik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And the beauty of film and such things is.. I love Annie Hall, Network, and Taxi Driver too. I would pay a lot for Annie Hall if it became available on Super 8. To me..one of the best films of all time!
But Chaplin/ Lauren and Hardy for me-I do understand their contribution to modern cinema-for some reason doesn't do it for me. The earliest films that I can remember that I would get on Super 8 would be the Little Rascals. Thats what I grew up on.
But one thing to remember-Super 8 has always been a rich person's hobby. As a kid I remember seeing for $39.95 200ft Extracts at the local Kmart all shrink wrapped on a rotating display. And the feature print of "Star Wars" when it came out was $400. I still have those catalogs from Larry Arpin aka LA Films.
I think its a testament to Super 8's longevity that a film can be as pricy as a small used car! I would love to get feature films for $9.95 but if the quality is there and its a sought after title expect to pay through the roof for some titles.
I have a limit to what I will pay for a feature but then again..what would I do if I found "Superman" Scope feature? I would have to reconsider my limit! [Smile]
This is a great topic and I even love the title-Sanity Clause. I thought it was a Christmas thread initially!

[ March 08, 2017, 09:31 AM: Message edited by: Alan Rik ]

David Hardy
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 08, 2017 08:25 AM      Profile for David Hardy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My sanity clause also takes account of a simple fact.

It would be crazy of me to pay huge sums of cash for any movie
if it is of an inferior image quality be it on 8mm / 16mm when
a much better quality can be bought for "sweetie prices" on a digital format.

Therefore the just "because its on actual film" argument does not sway me in the least these days.

I want to watch the movie in the best quality possible I don't
mind if its on digital or film but at a realistic price.

[Wink] [Wink] [Wink]

--------------------

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted March 08, 2017 08:49 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
There are a 6.99 billion others that think likewise David. Just like a billion Chinese love Man Utd!

And I thought you didn't like mainstream? [Big Grin] [Wink]

--------------------

Alan Rik
Film God

- posted March 08, 2017 09:35 AM      Profile for Alan Rik   Email Alan Rik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well...to be honest..if we are in this hobby.. are we really "sane"? [Smile]
We deal with aging projectors that have sound problems, rewind problems, jittery, out of focus- prints that are scratched spliced faded, the list goes on and on. Yet we still will look at a print and think..i'd like that ....! Yet modern technology is awesome. And cheap. Maybe were ...Masochists!!

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted March 08, 2017 09:43 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Then why would anybody go fishing when you can buy perfectly good fish at any supermarket?

-one is an activity, the other a commodity.

Sometimes you want to go fishing, sometimes you just feel like fish for dinner.

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

David Hardy
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 08, 2017 11:29 AM      Profile for David Hardy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Alan you are correct in what you said.

That's the reason why I have had to introduce a sanity clause.

Andrew I can remember a time when the only means of showing movies at home was mainstream on FILM !
Myself and millions of others who were crazy enough to fork
out huge sums of cash in order to do so.
Some of us were crazy enough to make our on films too. [Wink] [Wink] [Wink]

--------------------

Tom Spielman
Master Film Handler

- posted March 08, 2017 11:34 AM      Profile for Tom Spielman   Email Tom Spielman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think fishing is often form of masochism personally. [Wink]

Steve makes an excellent point. People don't collect Super 8 films just to watch a movie, just as I don't collect film cameras and old lenses just to take pictures and movies.

I've heard some people on this forum describe themselves more as caretakers of the films currently in their possession rather than as owners.

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted March 08, 2017 11:49 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
After years of hearing me go on (and ON) about it, my wife bought me an Epson VP for Christmas(1). I managed to plumb it into my audio system and couple of times since then we've watched some DVD Feature we've had for years on my big screen and enjoyed it a great deal.

It is genuinely great entertainment, but it's a little bit like the difference between riding a rollercoaster and driving a sports car: one is active, the other passive, both are fun!

I'm still showing film, and enjoying it as much as ever.

Notes:
(1) Until I can refine the setup some more we often have a DVD player on the dining room table under the beam of the right hand Elmo. Moral: be careful of the gifts you give!

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted March 08, 2017 03:12 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Video projectors are great if you want to watch a film, football match or music video.

If you want a tactile and intoxicating hobby, revelling in a bygone era full of beauty and charm as was originally witnessed, buy a quality cine projector and some film! [Wink]

--------------------

All times are Central
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC