8mm Forum
Topic Closed  Topic Closed

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Here's your 2nd chance in case you missed it the first time... (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: Here's your 2nd chance in case you missed it the first time...
Alan Rik
Film God

- posted March 16, 2017 12:35 PM      Profile for Alan Rik   Email Alan Rik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Speed-1049 Euros

http://www.ebay.de/itm/SUPER-8-SPEED-in-Cinemascope-from-DERANN-TOP-/142310902290?hash=item2122640a12:g:MhAAAOSwax5Yxb~a

Speed-990 Euros

http://www.ebay.de/itm/SPEED-CINEMASCOPE-near-mint-DERANN-print-english-sound-Super-8-/352006686558?hash=item51f53bc75e:g:brMAAOSwXYtYxlj3

|  IP: Logged

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted March 16, 2017 03:44 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I guess like in the stock market... "It is time to sell" heh?

[Wink]

Cheers,

--------------------
Winbert

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted March 16, 2017 04:22 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
And then what?

Ok I purchased a mint print of this film a few years back now and was delighted to have found one in such condition.

It was a higher price point than most other films at the time as was reflected by it's quality and condition.

The price in one similar instance has now taken this print way beyond what I paid, so i should sell is what you're saying Winbert.

Well, why?

I sell it for a similar amount and then don't have one of the films I always wanted and still in the condition I am seeking.

So then what?

Ok, i try and look for another, but the problem is, there isn't one as nice or when there is even anything remotely like it, it cost £1000.

So what would be the point of selling it if you're an avid film collector?

None whatsoever!
Just be pleased you DIDN'T have to pay today's prices at the time you bought it, that's all i can say.

It's like all of these deluded idiots that think they've done well by buying their first house 10 years ago for 200k and now receiving £500K for it. Only then to upgrade to one costing £800K in today's world. Where is the profit? There isn't one in net terms, unless you then go living in a tent!

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted March 16, 2017 04:29 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is a film that we may get cheerished a long ago, but after several screening or got influenced by other films, we may no longer be feeling the same.

I used to like Sledge Hammer! TV series, but after finsihing all episodes of Monk then I re-watch Sledge Hammer! I just don't like it! [Razz]

I guess it is time to move onto new films now ...that is at least for me.

In the stock market, we are selling the stocks to make profit and buy another stocks which are still lower price.

If I don't like a film which has now reached that high price similar to $1200, why I have to keep it. I will sell it and buy some Disneys that is still around $300. I can have 4 titles and who knows, it will reach $900 ...one day.

Well...I guess I am really a stockbroker now.... [Big Grin] [Wink]

--------------------
Winbert

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted March 16, 2017 04:34 PM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You could buy this new for about £260 at times from Derann.

Its hardly a classsic is it.

£150 would be about right really.

Best Mark.

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted March 16, 2017 04:36 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Never in a month of Sundays Mark, hence why it's others paying the thousand pound Mark and not yourself!

A pint of what you're also on please Mark!

--------------------

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted March 16, 2017 04:42 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Knew, is the word you were looking for.

The point is, anyone who is generally INTO this hobby or many many others like collecting art etc etc, doesn't care less about the money aspect of these things, only the pleasures they bring from collecting them.

Any true collector doesn't really care where the next big price emerges from, not one bit!

--------------------

Nigel Higgins
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 16, 2017 04:42 PM      Profile for Nigel Higgins     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This film is not worth £1000_+ no film is ,its probably not even a collector that pays that price .just some rich person who wants to say look i got it and will never watch it and not even have a projector .Th trouble is it every time this happens a film is going out of circulation for real film collectors and make a non rare film rare ,it would be much better to sell for £400 to a true film collector and keep it in the community just the way i see it ,i sell lots of films but like i said before re star wars if i had them (providing i didnt pay more in the first place ) id gladly let a true collector have for a proper price .i could go on but just the way i look at it .lets hope e can still keep collecting and at a viable price for the every day man not just the super rich ....

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted March 16, 2017 04:50 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
I wish I was super rich Nigel, but believe me, I am not.
I get what i can and wish well all those who can afford more.
Good luck to anyone who enjoys these things even half as much as I do.

Why would anyone buy anything that they cannot use?
That makes no sense at all to anyone.

--------------------

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted March 16, 2017 04:53 PM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I`m saying what its worth, not what it might sell for ebay, and online doings can make anything go crazy.

Does`nt mean its worth any more, just cost more.

Better for the hobby altogther if you could get any nice feature for £120-£200.

Why on earth did`nt the people who pay even half way close to these silly prices support Derann properly at the time.

I suppose its a case of not appreciating what you have.

You could call up and buy a full feature with some discount from £200 brand new and guaranteed.Only 6 years ago.

I`ll happily say I will never pay these prices.

I`d rather watch a faded 400 footer any day.

Infact been watching some on yourtube tonight !!!! too.

Crazy maybe but not as crazy as these daft prices.

Imagine paying that and the bottom falls out of it all. It will one day.

Best Mark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7avLx1mfN0

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted March 16, 2017 04:59 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
But that's the point, it wouldn't matter a jot to anyone who loves their collection. You just don't get it do you?

Anything in life is only worth what somebody else is prepared to pay for it. A bit more when this escalates to two.

I was having my kids when all these were released, that is the reason why I did not and could not buy more at the time and why I am more than happy now to make up for lost time, like others seemingly are likewise.

"It will one day" has now been said for over TWENTY YEARS!
Still they keep going up.

--------------------

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted March 16, 2017 05:30 PM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I do get it, but its a crazy and out of control thing.

These films will be back down to a very very low amount by comparrison with now in 5 /10 years.

Because you pay 4/5 times what you should really for a film does`nt make it any better to own or enjoy etc.

It just cost you a stack of cash.

If you pay £400 for a super 8 film now except maybe the odd star wars print for non film reasons, it will be back down to around £100 in the not too distant future.

Film is awash with oppertunists these days, a few ex collectors but mainly not collectors as such, and they are doing harm to the hobby, not enhancing it at all.

Best Mark.

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted March 16, 2017 05:36 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Just like any money making opportunity always is.

5 to 10 years...OH please!

20 so far, things still just go up and up.

When we are no longer here and these are faded maybe then i'd say, until then, let's just all remember, what we now have, will never be produced ever again. If that were to ever change, then and only then, would it be a different story.

I have enough bits and pieces now to keep projecting for another 50 years minimum, so even that argument doesn't come into it for those in the same boat.

--------------------

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted March 16, 2017 05:46 PM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just a shame the hobby will end up with so few new people coming in now.

But there you go.

But don`t expect super 8 to fund a pension top up when the bottom falls out.

Its more about obsession, compulsion and other Psychological issues when it gets to it with these daft extremes.

Best Mark.

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted March 16, 2017 05:52 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Pension taken care of thanks Mark, but I appreciate your concern thank you.
Not had a day out of work since first beginning in Sept 82 thankfully, and very much touching wood.

Probably like most shift workers in the modern world, I will receive little of it anyhow, but at least my good lady will be ok.

Compulsion, Obsession, Psychological disorder, no more than the next man in 21st C life.

Greed, certainly not.

Enjoyment, satisfaction and the thrill of the reel is the way I like to term it all.

--------------------

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted March 16, 2017 06:00 PM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Its killing the hobby, and the numbers even regularly here are going down.

Super 8 just really isn`t worth these crazy prices at all.

I`m the first to admit it overall doesn`t even look that good, though I enjoy it myself.

We can all differ on what we think, I just hope these crazy price Charlies stop creating this artificial hype nonsense.

Best Mark.

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted March 16, 2017 06:03 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Crazy Hype Charlies still love their hobby sadly Mark, so Crazy Hype Charlies is all there will probably be in due course, based on what you are sadly saying, and of course, other collectors general apathy at times towards our great hobby sadly.

Numbers here go up on a monthly basis, just like all other film forums I use. People that post anything film related or worthwhile on the other hand, go down.

That is entirely up to themselves. Some just simply don't have anything to say regarding the hobby, others like to read but not post, others just simply don't like to be questioned and cannot be bothered debating our hobby. Their choice, simple as that.

Incidentally, I post all of my own screen shots at a minimum size of 8ft wide on a 6ft deep screen. More obviously for letterboxed and scope screenings.
If anyone can tell me that these don't look very good for the most part, please recommend me a decent eye surgeon.

--------------------

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted March 16, 2017 06:16 PM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Crazy Hype Charlies love money Andrew 990 E plus 45 E post for a mediocre film on super 8.

Some marks, possibly poor sound, etc etc.

If its post 2001 LPP it will be shakey image wise too and have poor stripe.

Its not rare either.

Its worth £150-200 absolute max.

Star Wars it is not.

Best Mark.

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted March 16, 2017 06:20 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Mark, you clearly have not sampled the very best film and machinery available to the gauge.

As if anyone in their right mind would pay anything like this for a shakey image riddled in base scratches or any other???
The only accurate thing you predict is that the sound can often need revisiting post 98. All else, I'm sorry, that's just not as it is.

Again, never in a month of Sunday's

Take a look at the 400+ Screenshots if you are unconvinced!

--------------------

Will Trenfield
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 16, 2017 06:23 PM      Profile for Will Trenfield   Email Will Trenfield   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So, around $1100 or £900 for either and the second seller wants £35 to post it from Germany to the UK! Meanwhile, you can buy a full-length HD copy on YouTube for £5.99.

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted March 16, 2017 06:24 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
And the news behind that is exactly what sorry, Will?

--------------------

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted March 16, 2017 06:47 PM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I`ve run very nice prints on a 2 blade 200 watt Fumeo with a 1.1 zenovaron and they don`t come close to HD on a £300 + LCD projector these days.

You can`t expect them too though.

Good, HD panel LCD even has a nice sort of filmie look too.

The thing with this silly price rubbish its actually pushed a lot of us filmies out of running many of the features.

Unless you are lucky enough to pick them up from a non corrupted collector, or Ian.

Much Super 8 is clearly very well overpriced and its damaging the hobby.

Super 8 can scratch at a moments notice etc.

Most of us could probably not relax and enjoy showing these nutty price films just in case etc too.

I hope to God no one enables this seller and encourages others to ask such ludicrous prices.

Best Mark.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Speed-Blu-ray-2007-/152471262415?hash=item237ffed4cf:g:wpYAAOSw4A5YxwYK

Will Trenfield
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 16, 2017 06:55 PM      Profile for Will Trenfield   Email Will Trenfield   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was just converting the asking prices to $s and £s for the benefit of those on here who might be unfamiliar with the value of the Euro, Andrew. The YouTube reference was just a statement of fact illustrating the potential high cost of film collecting these days. OK?

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted March 16, 2017 07:09 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
But everyone knows Will DVD/ Blu Ray is "buttons" by comparison.
It matters not to a film collector.

It didn't when it was VHS /Betamax
It didn't when it was Laserdisc
It didn't even when it was first DVD / Blu Ray
And it won't when it's 40k HD!

It matters not and affects the charm and collectability of film, none.

Never has, never will do.
The late Mr Littlechild started this debate off in a film magazine eons ago.
Some listened, thankfully many did not.

Made me wonder why he ever bothered collecting film when i read his articles at times, I have to say.

HD HOME CINEMA dedicated projectors are indeed perfect practical modern day alternatives.

For anything other, there is a huge compromise even in HD!

--------------------

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted March 16, 2017 07:14 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Then again it will go to the classical debate film vs. digital.

How many times I should say that collecting film is just a hobby that is supposed to make us happy.

It does not come from the quality of the picture, because we cannot compare the super 8mm' 800p (800 x 600) resolution against Bluray which is 1080p (and now is going to 2K or 4K).

We enjoy film because we love the format and for some people, for nostalgic and sentimental feelings. We love VW buggy because we love VW, not to compete with Lamborghini. It does not make any sense to say VW runs faster than Lamborghini.

If we project super 8mm onto 4m x 3m (13.12' x 9.84') making 196" vs Bluray at the same screen, and you say that super 8mm projects better image, then you must be drunk.

It does not mean I love Bluray than super 8mm. It is just collecting Bluray does not give the same pleasure with collecting super 8mm. Period.

cheers,

--------------------
Winbert

All times are Central
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Open Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC