8mm Forum
Topic Closed  Topic Closed

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Here's your 2nd chance in case you missed it the first time... (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: Here's your 2nd chance in case you missed it the first time...
Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted March 16, 2017 07:16 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
For once Winbert, I wholeheartedly agree with you.

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

|  IP: Logged

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted March 16, 2017 07:24 PM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Film really is great and has a magic way beyond the over priced brigades set of values.

Derek S thought DVD projection and Laser discs too, were great, even back then just out of interest.

If he had seen it now !!! it would blow his mind.

But you can`t beat something like this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LEIes2fzRMA

The next clip is good too.

Best Mark.

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted March 16, 2017 07:36 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Better still in real life.

A real larger than life character was Barry and riddled with controversy!

--------------------

Clinton Hunt
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 16, 2017 07:43 PM      Profile for Clinton Hunt   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not that I can afford those prices unless I won the Lottery,I would want FREE postage like the dearer 1 offers!
How rare is this print that someone thinks it worth that much?
I guess if someone pays that then it's worth that to them.
Imagine if you were watching it and your projector had a glitch and chewed it!

--------------------
Cheers from me in New Zealand :-)

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted March 16, 2017 07:51 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
But for the people this concerns, this will not happen Clinton. That's the point!

There are just so so many various levels you can operate at within this hobby.

For those that buy these, they ain't playing around.

I laughed inwardly when i read one of Janice's latest posts regarding threading! [Big Grin] [Wink]

--------------------

Will Trenfield
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 16, 2017 08:35 PM      Profile for Will Trenfield   Email Will Trenfield   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree that there's nothing like projecting a film. It's a hands on experience. Although I have many VHS tapes, I've had to scrap some due to mould. DVD's, I've read, can become unreadable after a few years and this has happened with one data DVD I had. In contrast, my family films, some shot over 50 years ago on Kodak stock, are as fresh as they were back then.

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted March 16, 2017 08:39 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
So now,... sigh.....we go all the way back the very beginnings as to why oh why so many people choose to still buy film no matter what the price. For better, for worse, just like a bad marriage!

Believe me, the latter costs much much more!

Don't you agree Mark?? (screenshots now lined up for you btw, not an unsteady frame in sight, nor a Fumeo!!)

--------------------

Will Trenfield
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 16, 2017 08:57 PM      Profile for Will Trenfield   Email Will Trenfield   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's an obsession and, if you can afford it, you'll buy anything related to your interest like Star Wars fans. My son is an avid Queen fan. He spent hundreds of pounds on a copy of the guitar used by Brian May despite not be able to play it. It's in its box in his wardrobe.

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted March 16, 2017 09:00 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
My own equivalent is ready to thread up and ready to project!

Don't worry your brow Janice, all will be fine! [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Wink]

--------------------

Kevin Clark
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 17, 2017 05:47 AM      Profile for Kevin Clark     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Really sick and tired of these same old subjects coming up.

Our thankfully free society means sellers can advertise and buyers are able to make up their own minds what something is worth - why anyone should be so worried about this long established free trading process is totally beyond me.

Perhaps it would be better for some of you to leave and instead join an antiques, stamp collecting or classic car forum and royally p-off the members on there instead (perhaps you already do).

Kevin

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted March 17, 2017 06:03 AM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The difficulty is that when people are trying to get so silly prices out of film, it also tends to go with not mentioning odd flaws etc with the stripe, printing marks and so on.

As they see so much value in it, and become money obsessed so allow themselves be be a little less upfront if you will.

If you buy a feature for £150 lets say and it has a few flaws, well it can be lived with and its part of film, but if its in the over £300 type of thing, it starts to get bad news. When you get up towards a price of nearly £1000 for something as usual and not so rare as Speed its getting crackers.

For me that sort of ridiculous type price is just adding unrestrained hype and inflation to a hobby already getting out of control.

I expect there will be a stock market type crash at some point, but its not helping the hobby now.

Thankfully there are still a lot of B+W`s etc that don`t seem to be touched by it at all so there is hope. And fair dealers.

It looks as if its people who are in the hobby a bit or on the fringe of it, that seem to be forcing the real damage.

Best Mark

Allan Broadfield
Master Film Handler

- posted March 17, 2017 06:24 AM      Profile for Allan Broadfield   Author's Homepage   Email Allan Broadfield   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tut tut, boys, cool the testosterone down. This used to be the sort of forum that u could let grannie read!

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted March 17, 2017 06:33 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
And still is Allan.

Look Mark, I don't want to pay more than I have to for any print. I'd be quite happy of course if they were all being sold for £50 now, but they're not sadly.

If and when this does become the case, I will no doubt be even happier because then it will mean I can go on collecting the kind of films I personally prefer, even just on my old age pension by then hopefully!

The reason, as ever, is simply down to supply and demand.
The very same reason as to why 10 years ago, you could purchase reasonably priced prints like these from our remaining dealers and now 99% of the time, you cannot.

I have to pay what someone else is willing to pay. Either that or simply don't collect these type of films.
It's as simple as that. When the silly bidding wars take place, on each and every occasion, I just stand back.
I have my limits, just like everyone else has.

--------------------

Allan Broadfield
Master Film Handler

- posted March 17, 2017 07:21 AM      Profile for Allan Broadfield   Author's Homepage   Email Allan Broadfield   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Despite my comment, which was tongue in cheek, I am sympathetic to yours and others views.
As a keen collector, and hirer, of films since the fifties (starting on 9.5mm), i have resigned myself to the fact that the average collector is being priced out of the market and now mostly run films on my dvd projector.
Even the kids, when visitng, say that they miss the sound of the projector, but whst can you do?

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted March 17, 2017 07:26 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Agreed Allan and here's hoping Marks predictions come true in five years time, for us all.

I'm not holding my breath though, based on the countless predictions from the masses, even the maestro himself,over the past twenty something years or so!

--------------------

Kevin Clark
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 17, 2017 08:23 AM      Profile for Kevin Clark     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It doesn't really matter either way if film prices go up, stick or go down, there will always be some career worrier who will do nothing but moan on here about the money, money, money, whereas the reality is anyone can partake in the hobby for as little or as high as they wish to spend.

Yes the top notch titles in mint condition are sky high at the moment (on all gauges not just Super 8) and may stay that way but there are plenty of other affordable films to go 'round however deep or otherwise your pockets may be.

My neighbour owns and drives classic cars on a daily basis, and he regularly re-trims them for other car collectors. Perhaps the next time I see a few £k changing hands for his expertise I should jump in and say - 'you could have had a brand new Dacia for that' to his customer and then add 'why bother with that old Bentley / Rolls Royce / MG etc. you must be mad there are far cheaper more reliable and comfortable alternatives these days?'.

No of course I wouldn't question their hobby choice - it is the customer's right to spend their money as they want without anyone interfering and I wish the same etiquette could be seen on here.

Kevin

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted March 17, 2017 08:45 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Let's see what happens here before we draw any conclusions.

Asking prices are not always selling prices and so far there are no fish nibbling at the bait!

As far as the movie, it breaks one of my basic requirements for film prints I consider buying: if I saw it in the $9.99 DVD bin at the Supermarket I still wouldn't buy it!

Speed Reading!

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted March 17, 2017 08:50 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
And that of course, would be all down to your personal taste in films Steve. Nothing more, nothing less.

Obviously, for at least one recent collector, they do not share that same opinion as your own Steve.

I wouldn't buy Dracula films or Keystone Cops films, but I know plenty that would!

--------------------

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted March 17, 2017 08:56 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, you know my thoughts on this, no matter how much i want a movie, if this is what i would have to pay then they can shove it right where the sun shines, its just ridiculous.
Aint no movie on earth worth this, & i also think these are the collectors who are getting out while the sun shines, why else would you sell off the cream of your collection.

Even some dealers are pissing me off at the moment, they ask you to tell them your wants so "we can put you on our system and let you know if we get one", what happens just two months later, one comes in and goes out on the list & its sold. What a load of bollocks!
So, if i had one or more copies of the said title and people seem willing to paying a grand + then i would let them go.
Harsh but reality.

Not even DH [Big Grin] [Wink]
This

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted March 17, 2017 08:59 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Not too much surfacing Tom, not where I go shopping at least??

I won't pay a thousand pounds for any film either, but like I repeatedly say, luckily now, you and I don't have to when you see the ones we have resurface! [Wink]

Even the prices I paid back then, many would turn their noses up at. It's as Kevin says, very much a personal choice thing and while ever two or more people want the very same film let alone one particular one off immaculate print,it is always going to be a war of the wallets unfortunately. It's just the way it is in life for things no longer available to buy brand new but highly collectible nonetheless.

--------------------

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted March 17, 2017 09:22 AM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It really depends on how many iffy film deals a person can tollerate at high prices.

If I bought a film over £300 and up, and it had issues with the image or sound etc. I`d feel quite cheated.

If it was £100 I could live with it.

If you add in overseas type postal cost too it can get very hard going.

It appears there is a little gulf opening up between people who genuinely enjoy the hobby and share good things around if you will.

And theres the oppertunist Brigade. I don`t include dealers in that, as I think they all seem to be staying very fair in the face of things.

There are still great and affordable films about but I wonder how we can get new people in to the hobby.

My eldest son loves film, but he has 3 children ( one his own ) so only does it through me sort of thing. It does at least mean he does it on and off and quite young. But he certainly can`t afford to get in to it as many of the films he would enjoy and love to own are crazy price wise now.

The current prices really do keep him away from it and most certainly his other half. We used to have great fun when he was young though.

I suppose in relative terms £400 even if a film really is right is,nt too bad value if you factor in, inflation, but if you factor in the cost of living now its still a toughie.

I remeber an old lady tellimg me about when she and her husband were first married thier house cost them £1 a week, when he was on £5 a week ( we are going back here ).

But a couple now if only the man worked would probably be looking at well over half his income for the home now.

I wonder what the cost of a new feature will be now with the possible up coming one.

Be interesting to see.

Best Mark.

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted March 17, 2017 09:30 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
The only "iffy" factor I have tended find surrounding nigh on all of the later feature films I tend to buy, is the soundtrack.

Some are more than acceptable, like my recent pocahontas purchase, which for once had the best sound I have ever come across for a later pasted stripe film.
Others like my Fantasia print for example, are very poor for their original stereo sound.

So long as you are confident you can do a "Job" on these type of prints though,and make them all sound far better than any original recordings, all is not lost I have found.

If it had have been, I may have moved to collecting model trains by now, like any sane collector paying these prices would have been forced into! [Big Grin] [Wink]

(somehow, I doubt it though! Toot Toot .) [Big Grin]

--------------------

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted March 17, 2017 09:48 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
-you haven't seen what people are paying for model trains these days!

Don't get me wrong on this Andrew. Hearing you have a print with grownups in it instead of animated princesses leaves me kind of impressed!

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted March 17, 2017 09:49 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh I have many Steve, don't you worry your head about that one Steve! [Big Grin] [Wink]

Equally, our family will soon have an additional prince or princess. How good will that be when they're old enough to finally watch and enjoy all of these wonderful animated classics alongside their Grandad! [Smile] [Smile]

I feel a certain photograph may soon need an update! [Wink]

-

[ March 17, 2017, 11:23 AM: Message edited by: Andrew Woodcock ]

--------------------

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted March 17, 2017 09:58 AM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder if its a lot to with even greater obssesional things in the hobby world overall.

Not just films.

People are loosing religion and replacing it with fixations etc.

Anti Trump, or PC type things for instance.

Don`t worry not going to bang on about those.

The internet definately fuels things all round.

I`m the first to admit that without film I`d have a big hole in my life and it helps me focus away from things. And the realities of what we are, and are not etc.

Also in film bad luck seems to come in waves when buying.

I suppose basically my thoughts are, the more aforbale it is, the easier it is to weather those storms when they hit, as they inevitably do.

Best Mark.

All times are Central
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Open Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC