8mm Forum
Topic Closed  Topic Closed

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Here's your 2nd chance in case you missed it the first time... (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: Here's your 2nd chance in case you missed it the first time...
Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted March 17, 2017 10:04 AM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have to broadly agree with Kevin. These debates/arguments started by high eBay asking prices are becoming repetitive, especially as no one seems to be persuading others to change their mind, whatever their point of view is.

I'd be curious to know whether people paying the highest prices are keen collectors who will show the films now and again, but we can't ask them and if they are members here, they probably don't dare identify themselves! On a 'live and let live' basis I'd say good luck to them and I simply hope they don't put the film away as some sort of 'collectable', but I doubt that other than in certain cases where the boxes are a major part of the appeal (as applies to certain older 200' and 400' package movies) and with some Star Wars sales - but even with these we can't say how many are bought by SW collectors without projectors, and I'd guess that some would prefer a Ken SW release with a mint box to a full length Derann feature with battered cardboard boxes!

I have to disagree that this is "killing the hobby" because the ultra-high prices are a tiny fraction of sales overall. OK, the features now sold for around £300 represent far more outlay than 10 years ago, but many of us selling these are active collectors who could use the money to buy other films. I was more troubled when it was difficult to get £120 for a mint, recently-released feature run once, that I'd be selling because I'd found a 16mm print! At least the higher prices give a sense that we are interested in a product that's desirable rather than one that has had its day and is in decline, and that might make it more appealing to some. Super 8 can be seen in the wider context of a film revival that could in a smaller way compare to vinyl, and that has to be a good thing. I recall already seeing evidence of a vinyl revival over 10 years ago, before the recent more spectacular rise, so I feel it's highly premature to predict a rapid decline in Super 8 prices within 5-10 years, as desirable films (and I'd say that Speed is a fine example of its kind) in excellent condition will only become harder to find. But I take the point that such buys are a risk, because even if the condition is mint, you might find one or more reels that are unsteady; with poor sound; bluish, etc.

I'm repeating myself, but once again I'd urge those troubled about high prices to support conventions/films fairs/CHC sale weekends, etc, as these are the occasions when you're likely come away with bags full of bargains bought at prices that remind you of the 'good old days'!

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

|  IP: Logged

Douglas Meltzer

- posted March 17, 2017 10:14 AM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Adrian. As I start to decide which titles I will be saying goodbye to at the next CineSea, I know I could make more on eBay but there's a pleasure to be derived from personally handing a print over to a fellow collector at a fair price.

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted March 17, 2017 10:17 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
All I can say Adrian, you clearly haven't seen the screenshots then!
No blue, no unsteadiness.

Why sell any Doug?????

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted March 17, 2017 11:00 AM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Andrew - I looked for screenshots of the two copies of Speed currently on offer but these don't appear to have any.

I'm not saying that there's always risk - you might buy from a reliable seller who offers comprehensive information, but otherwise it's clear that people differ in terms of what they consider a problem, so even a reputable seller could offer a print that they consider fine, that a collector might take issue with, particularly if the price is very high. I know from experience that screenshots I've taken sometimes make a print look better than it actually is, and I'm sure I could take some very good ones of an unsteady film!

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted March 17, 2017 11:06 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
I was only referring to my own print Adrian. Believe me, the print quality on this one live in viewing far sappasses even the fine screenshots it produces. It is a superb print from Derann.

Everytime i see a silly price point reached in Super 8mm film collecting, with only one fairly recent exception, I can fully understand why these types of films fetch what they do.

I think the buyers involved know exactly what they are getting for their money! [Wink]

--------------------

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted March 17, 2017 11:26 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If anybody happens to go to Cinesea, and you see a Grizzly Adams print, please remember me!! [Smile]

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted March 17, 2017 11:38 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Your Grizzly Adams quest comes up pretty much every time we are there!

I saw a 16mm 1776 there once...

I mean: that's John Adams...

-but seriously: I can't imagine this particular film showing up there and the group not figuring out a way to get it to you!

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Martin Davey
Film Handler

- posted March 17, 2017 02:05 PM      Profile for Martin Davey   Author's Homepage   Email Martin Davey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm puzzled as to why some of the expensive feature prints may be purchased by people who do not own a projector. Aside from packaging, do these people think that this super 8 print is a print as shown in the cinema, in other words they could give it to the projectionist at their local cinema and thread it on the 35mm machine. Do they understand that the s8 print is for a s8 projector, a domestic friendly machine, and not a professional print that they would have been seen in the cinema on an industrial machine? Do they understand that the S8 print was struck decades (in the case of Star wars) decades after the original cinema release, or do they think it is from 1977, and ex Odeon? Mind you I gather that many people think that cinemas (in film days) used to show 'big' DVDs.

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted March 17, 2017 02:20 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
They know what they're buying Martin on all counts.

Star Wars is simply a one off in this category given it's original release cut.

I still believe most are purchased to be used, but one or two will fall into other collectors hands that simply collect Star Wars Memorabilia.

--------------------

Martin Davey
Film Handler

- posted March 17, 2017 02:28 PM      Profile for Martin Davey   Author's Homepage   Email Martin Davey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well if most are ran, watched and enjoyed then that's a good thing. I just have this horrible thought of these things being in display cases, remaining completely inert, their origin and purpose a total mystery.

Douglas Meltzer

- posted March 17, 2017 02:28 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Andrew,

Why sell any? Good question....In that Closet O' Film there are quite a few impulse purchases. I bought them, screened them and then left them on the shelf. There are prints I cherish and there are those I say hello to only when I come across them while retrieving other films. Those are the ones who deserve a more supportive owner.

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted March 17, 2017 02:35 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
I have many that fall into the latter category myself Doug.
I must admit though, in my case, I would still find it difficult to part with them while ever i suspected I'd still like to view them one day even one more time.

Some of the earlier collection now though, will need clearing soon I have to admit. Just too much space being taken up by these and none will be perfect prints, fade scratches, non English language etc etc.

The usual things we all build up when we first started buying budget prints etc.

--------------------

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 17, 2017 05:00 PM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think that for Star Wars prints a dedicated Star Wars (not film) collector who wants absolutely every thing to do with the films would pay these high prices just to boast to other collectors that he has something they don't.

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted March 17, 2017 05:25 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think people who list films at realistic prices are generally the ones who end up selling at high prices.
Those who list at stupid start prices like these are just simpletons jumping on the bandwagon and most sensible people wont bite.
There edited correctly [Big Grin]

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted March 17, 2017 05:25 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
I think I agree Tom. [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Wink]

--------------------

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted March 17, 2017 05:30 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dont know what happened there Andy but ive corrected. Stupid smart phones [Big Grin]

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted March 17, 2017 05:35 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
[Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Wink]

All good matey! [Wink]

--------------------

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted March 17, 2017 05:35 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is the time to sell one with an opening bid of about 500 Euros.

-it's still an obscene price, but with what the other two are asking, it seems like a bargain!

--------------------

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted March 17, 2017 05:37 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Mine is going nowhere Steve, that much I can say. Neither are the rest for that matter!

If I lived to 100, I would never find a better print.

Priceless, and an absolute credit to it's previous owner, just as all of his films are. Absolutely immaculate.

--------------------

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted March 17, 2017 06:04 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's kind of a shame, such a great print of such a mediocre movie. I guess it was as much the source material they could get as anything.

-shame "Snakes on a Plane" came out as late as it did. I'd rather have that even just for the irony!

--------------------

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted March 17, 2017 06:07 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Tastes again Steve, something you simply cannot quantify.

Everyone's are very very different thankfully.
That's what makes the world go around!

I'd love to have seen Pulp Fiction released or Saving Private Ryan or The Shawshank Redemption but not enough thought like I did sadly for me.

At least Titanic did make it. I won't pay £1000 but I will go to my best ever price paid for a decent print with decent stripe.

--------------------

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted March 17, 2017 06:44 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why selll???

quote:
I bought them, screened them and then left them on the shelf. There are prints I cherish and there are those I say hello to only when I come across them while retrieving other films.
Good to read this one, Doug. This means you can escape from a circle of devils, the so-called "hoarding" [Wink]

As seen from many TV reality shows, hoarders are people who think they will need those items although not knowing when. He/she feels secure when those items stay with them.

I almost fell like that until I realized there more people would cheerish with my items, plus I could make profits out of it (to fund my new purchase).

FYI, I am collecting films, vinyls and trains and I was hoarding just anything [Razz] . Now, I am a bit picky to buy.

Cheers,

--------------------
Winbert

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted March 17, 2017 06:48 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Profits again eh Winbert?

You cannot take it with you pal, and there are no pockets in shrouds!

None of us are hoarders, simply people that pick them off one print at a time dependant very much on the mood that day.
That is the basis for my reluctance to part with anything I once treasured, even if I don't watch it as much as some of my "better" prints.

Isn't it the very same with our records? I know it always was with me in my DJing days!

Can you believe I still own a copy of "Making Your Mind Up?"
I ain't boasting here, not by any means! [Big Grin] [Wink]

The Technics Sl 1210's would never forgive me!! [Big Grin] [Wink]

--------------------

Mike Newell
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 17, 2017 06:59 PM      Profile for Mike Newell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Most film collectors buy for three reasons interest in genre / actor , completists or impulse.

If you stick to the first rule and I know or have known collectors who only collect westerns or horror or Disney you will be fine.

However, when you go down the second or third reason for collecting routes you end up with shelves of films which if we are all perfectly honest we watch once when get them or every two to three years in they fall on you when you are digging though bundles of other films Now when are talking about features at £250 , £400 or heaven help us £1000 a go that as David says is a serious problem not heroin or spice but getting close.

Now in talking about Speed the film not the drug. I saw it in a collectors cinema when it came out in Super 8. Before, I saw it I was going to order it after I saw it I marked it off for life. Just to convince myself I wasn't having a bad day I bought the DVD when I got the digital option. Again after I watched it I was ready for eBay but saw Speed was going from 99p on there so handed it in to a charity shop.

I can't imagine any film collector in their right mind wanting to spend £1000 on it so either it was bumped up by a joker or as I suspect film memorabilia crazies have discovered super 8. A bit like film posters used to tear them out of cinemas throw them in the bin now they are worth thousands. Actually, if I had the room I can live wirth a reprint with no creases or pin holes.

When I was downsizing I would say 70% of my sales were to idiots who wouldn't know the back end of a projector. Coloured boxes and titles went for a fortune as did rare stuff like Tex Avery. As for Coal Black and de Seven Dwarfs I had at least a few nazis who paid silly money for a really average crap cartoon but I don't think they ever owned the equipment to project it.

Anyway watch this space for some art spot were Super 8 is announced as the next money winner for serious art collectors investors. It will make life difficult for "reel "collectors but I suspect it is a bubble and a very unpredictable one at that.

[ March 18, 2017, 05:52 AM: Message edited by: Mike Newell ]

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted March 17, 2017 07:04 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
You did it once Mike, now you no longer do apparently. Speed is a decent later 90's film whether you agree or not, just like Steve would agree with you. If it were Die Hard we were discussing here, would it make a difference?
No I doubt it, people would still line up to tell me Asda had it on DVD for 99p around Christmastime!

I don't particularly like many films that collectors choose to buy, however I don't feel the need to comment on their taste or judgement.

I wonder why you do?

--------------------

All times are Central
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Open Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC