8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Super 8 Tape Splicer Recommendations

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Super 8 Tape Splicer Recommendations
Martin Dew
Expert Film Handler

- posted March 24, 2017 07:56 PM      Profile for Martin Dew     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi all, can any of you give me recommendations of makes and models of good - but not bank-breaking - super 8 tape splicers, which are also still quite readily available on the used/auction market? This is a subject I know very little about.

I currently use cement on Super 8 for leaders etc, but I'm quickly realising that tape systems, which I believe can also preserve both sound stripes, will be a necessary addition to the equipment arsenal in the future.

Many thanks...

|  IP: Logged

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted March 24, 2017 10:49 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Martin, I use the Kodak Presstape splicer, which can be used for 8mm super 8mm or 16mm. It uses Kodak prestapes which are precut to size. The splicer is available from Steve Osborne at The Reel Image, and so are the packs of presstapes.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted March 25, 2017 03:09 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One disadvantage of the Kodak Presstapes is that you have to continually stock up on tapes, otherwise, it is a good splicer.
My recommendation is for the CIR splicer which uses relatively cheap rolls of adhesive tape which are perforated by the splicer whilst making a join.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Splicing-Tape-for-CIRO-GUILLOTINE-Super-8MM-Splicer-/192119092109?hash=item2cbb30b38d:g:f7EAAOSwoudW3QHm

--------------------
Maurice

Martin Dew
Expert Film Handler

- posted March 25, 2017 07:01 AM      Profile for Martin Dew     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great, thanks to both of you. I've been keeping my eye out for CIR for 16mm, but it sounds like getting hold of the Kodak Presstape might be good solution to be running with, particularly as it's 16mm as well as Super 8.

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted March 25, 2017 07:37 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Martin
If you do go for a Kodsk Presstape splicer, make sure it's marked as "Universal Splicer" in its traditional yellow box.
This model is for standard 8, Super 8, and 16mm.

--------------------
Maurice

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted March 25, 2017 09:22 AM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Martin...Here's a video tutorial I made on how to use the Kodak Universal Splicer:

https://youtu.be/7svDF_Gc8pk

-

You might also look for a Craig Master 6 Splicer. It's pretty much the Swiss Army Knife of splicers. Good for 8mm, S8mm, and 16mm...and also you can use Presstapes or Glue.

-

--------------------
Janice

"I'm having a very good day!"
Richard Dreyfuss - Let It Ride (1989).

Joe Taffis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 25, 2017 10:29 AM      Profile for Joe Taffis   Email Joe Taffis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
You might also look for a Craig Master 6 Splicer. It's pretty much the Swiss Army Knife of splicers. Good for 8mm, S8mm, and 16mm
I agree! [Smile]

--------------------
Joe Taffis

Flavio Stabile
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 25, 2017 03:33 PM      Profile for Flavio Stabile     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In my opinion this below is one of the best, simplest and spread super 8 splicer...

http://www.ebay.it/itm/132135513747

please note, this is not a my auction!

Daniel Macarone
Expert Film Handler

- posted March 25, 2017 04:08 PM      Profile for Daniel Macarone   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've wondered if this professional splicer is compatible with single perf 8/16mm film. I've never used one. This is hard to imagine working when you attempt to tape both sides of the film.

Catozzo guillotine

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Catozzo-Guillotine-Splicer-for-8mm-16mm-Film-/142320887888?hash=item2122fc6850:g:br4AAOSwhQhY0MgJ

Martin Dew
Expert Film Handler

- posted March 25, 2017 04:17 PM      Profile for Martin Dew     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Fantastic information, everyone, thanks!

And thanks for the video link, Janice. I actually saw your video on YouTube just yesterday! It's very good.

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted March 26, 2017 02:10 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Two comments from above.

Flavio's link is, of course, a CIR. This is the one I recommend for Super 8.

Daniel's link is actually for 16mm film, either single or double perforated. It can be used for standard 8 film. It is not suitable for Super 8.

--------------------
Maurice

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted March 26, 2017 02:25 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Martin, take Maurice's advice so far as a Super 8mm preferred splicer of choice is concerned.

The C.I.R. metal bodied type are by far, the very very best, and what you may spend obtaining one of these, would very quickly pay for itself by the fact that the rolls of tape for these are considerably cheaper and much more economical in use than either the Hama type or Presstapes etc etc.

[ March 26, 2017, 06:17 PM: Message edited by: Andrew Woodcock ]

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

David Roberts
Master Film Handler

- posted March 26, 2017 03:42 PM      Profile for David Roberts     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
not to mention the Fuji single 8 splicer,which of course works with super 8. I have used these for years and they are excellent,and often quite cheap on e bay. my last purchase included 3 rolls of tape(each 100 splices) so will last me ages.

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted March 27, 2017 02:46 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The use of a Fuji splicer will depend on the continuing availability of their special tapes.
I believe there was a time when these were withdrawn but they are now available again, but they are not cheap.

--------------------
Maurice

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted March 27, 2017 06:55 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
For example...

http://www.wittnercinetec.com/epages/WittnerCinetec-Super8-16mm-Film.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/WittnerCinetec-Super8-16mm-Film/Products/1121

Versus...

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Super-8mm-CIR-Roll-Of-Professional-Splicing-Tape-By-Jacro-For-Cine-Film-Editing-/401058958916?hash=item5d60fa0e44:g:h8wAAOSwqYBWoVDi

--------------------

David Roberts
Master Film Handler

- posted March 27, 2017 11:47 AM      Profile for David Roberts     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
yes I know the Fuji tapes are expensive,but if just for adding leads and tails etc,then a roll should last ages.
I think all tape is now becoming hard to get,though I suspect the CIR will be around the longest.

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted March 27, 2017 11:54 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
The Hama style are still readily available, but as nobody has any idea how old the stock is, many suppliers will sell you splice tapes well past their sell by date so far as its adhesive properties are concerned.

In some instances this is far more evident than in others.
Find a good supplier, then stick with them so to speak.
That would be my advice after using a F8S previously for a number of years.

No problems whatsoever since switching to Jackro tape roll.

--------------------

Barry Fritz
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 27, 2017 12:25 PM      Profile for Barry Fritz   Email Barry Fritz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you decide to get a splicer that uses Presstapes, beware of cheap knock-off tapes. I would recommend getting good ones from Urbanskifilm.com.

David Roberts
Master Film Handler

- posted March 27, 2017 03:53 PM      Profile for David Roberts     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
and if you do find a nice Fuji splicer, Steve Osborne has the tape at $19.50 ,and should not cost much to post being such a tiny item.

Martin Dew
Expert Film Handler

- posted March 29, 2017 03:31 AM      Profile for Martin Dew     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just found a Kodak Presstape Universal Splicer on eBay.co.uk for £15 with original box, manual and tapes. Seemed like a good deal, and a solution to be moving forward with for the moment.

Thanks again for all your suggestions, and long-term I'm sure I'll seek out a CIR or Ferrania. Barry, thanks for the info about Urbanski and spare tapes for Kodak too. Love this forum.

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted March 29, 2017 03:49 AM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Excellent video Janice [Cool]

I was looking at one of those splicers tonight and trying to figure it out...now I know how to use it [Smile]

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC