8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Reel Images Super 8 Features

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Reel Images Super 8 Features
Burton Sundquist
Master Film Handler

- posted March 25, 2017 01:08 AM      Profile for Burton Sundquist     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi forum, Do any members have an experience with a feature film purchase from Reel lmages and if so, kindly give me your trusted opinion, as to the quality and value as I weigh into this one. Thanks.

|  IP: Logged

Douglas Meltzer

- posted March 25, 2017 10:25 AM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Burton,

I've purchased a number of films from Steve Osborne at The Reel Image and I've found the quality of the features to be outstanding. Steve is a wonderful seller and gives honest descriptions about the prints. You should email or call him and ask for details about the title you're interested in.

I assume you meant The Reel Image, since there was a company called Reel Images that folded up shop a long time ago.

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Burton Sundquist
Master Film Handler

- posted March 25, 2017 11:28 AM      Profile for Burton Sundquist     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Douglas, I was confident the prints were top quality but wanted to get "reel" feedback from an owner... And yes I was having a flashback to circa 1978 when I used to order from Reel Images and L.A. Films...Before the internet.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted March 25, 2017 11:34 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i concur with Doug, and this goes with all the films I've purchased from him, whether new or used prints. they are always a good eeal better than described, the sign of a good seller as, there's nothing betteer than (especially with used films), having a description that may only make the film sound mediocre in quality, and when you get it, it's much better than expected!

Derann was always very good in that way as well, with they're used film lists.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Gary Brocklehurst
Expert Film Handler

- posted March 25, 2017 11:50 AM      Profile for Gary Brocklehurst   Email Gary Brocklehurst   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks OSI!

I have nothing but fond memories of my Derann days and sincerely hope that you and your family are keeping well. This of course also applies to all of my other previous customers

Kindest Regards Always

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted March 25, 2017 12:21 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
GARY!!!!

It's so cool to hear from you!

folks, Gary is the person who was in charge of the used films list at Derann (at least, when I was buying from they're used film list), and he was so totally awesome to deal with!

Still have those Beatles LP's Gary? [Smile]

I remember buying "My Name is Nobody" scope edited feature from Gary's/Derann's used film list, and I was expecting only so-so color ...

Nope, it was nearly perfect and to this day, it still looks great!!! So were all the other purchases I made from them. He even sent me, for free, a print of ""Tummy Trouble" (it had a magnetic stripe bleed issue, but i was happy to have it!), just to give you an idea of just how awesome this fine fellow was!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

David Roberts
Master Film Handler

- posted March 25, 2017 02:34 PM      Profile for David Roberts     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gary
lots of us on this forum have very fond memories of Derann and your good self. I visited the shop a few times,quite a long journey for me,but always made very welcome,and always well worth the effort.

Tony Milman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 25, 2017 06:18 PM      Profile for Tony Milman   Author's Homepage   Email Tony Milman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Indeed. In the very short time I had to deal with Gary Jed and Steve (did I get that right?) it was a great pleasure to do so. I have a few 16mm. Films that I bought based on the description on the outside of the box that were always spot on. My only wish is for a time machine so I could go back and see how it was at the peak of popularity
Tony

--------------------
Tony

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted March 26, 2017 03:49 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have now bought a few films inc a feature of grease.there service is A1 and the films i have recieved have all benn great.no proplems at all.

Gary Brocklehurst
Expert Film Handler

- posted March 27, 2017 08:07 AM      Profile for Gary Brocklehurst   Email Gary Brocklehurst   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi OSI, David, Tony & Tom

Yes, I still treasure the Beatles LP's and coloured juke box 45's, being a very keen Beatles fan! I am always on the lookout for more Beatles related items, together with any good used super 8mm and possibly 16mm films, etc.

Kindest Regards Always

Gary

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted March 27, 2017 08:35 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Gary!

It's always good to see you here! It brings back agreeable days.

I really enjoyed getting those sales lists Friday roughly noon.

-ever since there's pretty much nothing to do except eat lunch!

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Burton Sundquist
Master Film Handler

- posted March 28, 2017 01:03 AM      Profile for Burton Sundquist     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
...So shame on me for not having the astonishment and appreciation of screening a Derran print for the first time until now...This recently arrived gem from a forum member has truly rekindled my passion for the Super 8 mm medium and this adventure is only beginning...How were Red Fox and Derran connected?

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted March 28, 2017 02:13 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Burton, what I knew Derann and Red Fox did not connect at all when they were still in business not distributing each others. In fact, they were competing. They have released the same title for several prints at the same time, at least I knew for some Tom & Jerry titles. But when RedFox ceased it 8mm business, Derann bought Red Fox negatives.

--------------------
Winbert

Martin Dew
Expert Film Handler

- posted March 28, 2017 04:53 AM      Profile for Martin Dew     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with earlier posts about Steve Osbourne. I have only bought a couple of trailers from him so far. There was a sound problem on one, and he not only replaced that trailer, but sent me two more free-of-charge on one reel. He's also incredibly responsive. Good to know there are people like that in this business.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC