8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Walton Plastic Boxes

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Walton Plastic Boxes
Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted March 25, 2017 06:09 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just have been projecting Walton 400' A903, Robert Powell in "The Thirty Nine Steps" which prompts me to ask members if they know when Walton changed from cardboard boxes with stick-on labels to clear plastic boxes with the labels now as inserts?

--------------------
Maurice

|  IP: Logged

Martin Davey
Film Handler

- posted March 25, 2017 06:33 AM      Profile for Martin Davey   Author's Homepage   Email Martin Davey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can't answer you Maurice, but I wondered, in connection with the plastic boxes, is that when Walton started to bring out photographic, designed professional labels rather than the crude, but charming 'caricature' drawn ones?

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted March 25, 2017 06:57 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Martin
The cover is taken from the cinema poster.

--------------------
Maurice

Martin Davey
Film Handler

- posted March 25, 2017 07:41 AM      Profile for Martin Davey   Author's Homepage   Email Martin Davey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I appreciate that the artwork is from the poster/ publicity, but coming from a graphics/ advertising background the art artwork it not magically converted to a format for the Walton boxes with out a designer. Basically a graphic designer would have been tasked with the job to create the packaging artwork from the supplied materials and had any type set, by a typograper, as well for the packaging. Also I think that the Walton logo was redesigned at the same time. I don't actually have any of these modern Walton packaging in my collection. But overall it is presumed that the company had to have professional packaging created because of evolving consumer tastes and the threat of video I imagine, and as such the crude packaging had to go. I'm guessing this is why the plastic cases were introduced?
I presume that these newer examples of packaging only applied to 400' editions?
….to add, I guessing that the materials obtained from the films owners would be provided on a large transparency, and would have the poster, minus any type and title, these elements supplied on other transparencies. There may even be different versions or parts of the main poster artwork provided for the designer to fit in to the size of the Walton box, and shuffle accordingly to reach a satisfactory layout. But all of this requires skill and is a world away from what had been done before, so I'm thinking that Walton saw the writing on the wall and this was a last ditch effort.

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 25, 2017 08:35 AM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I suspect the change was when Walton started video releases as well (I did read somewhere that that was what brought them down - they couldn't compete when the big studios did their own releases). It would make sense to use the same people to design both and up-rate the boxes at the same time.

I only have one with the original insert "Porridge" and it does look very good.

Clive Carmock
Film Handler

- posted April 23, 2017 09:06 AM      Profile for Clive Carmock   Email Clive Carmock   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a few original artwork elements that were rescued when Walton closed. They were made from a traditional 'cut & paste' method in monochrome. with pieces of paper literally stuck to a card base.

There were then a number of photographic transparencies made one for each printing colour. All stored in an envelope for each film with a colour copy of the label stuck to the front.

I can take some pictures of these if anyone is interested.

David Ollerearnshaw
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 23, 2017 09:45 AM      Profile for David Ollerearnshaw   Author's Homepage   Email David Ollerearnshaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Would like to see those.

--------------------
I love the smell of film in the morning.

http://www.thereelimage.co.uk/

Martin Davey
Film Handler

- posted April 23, 2017 12:05 PM      Profile for Martin Davey   Author's Homepage   Email Martin Davey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, that would be most interesting!

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC