8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Review Wolverine Reels2Digital MovieMaker 8mm film digitizer (Page 33)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 56 pages: 1  2  3  ...  30  31  32  33  34  35  36  ...  54  55  56 

Author Topic: Review Wolverine Reels2Digital MovieMaker 8mm film digitizer
Kamel Ikhlef
Expert Film Handler

- posted August 31, 2019 09:50 AM      Profile for Kamel Ikhlef   Email Kamel Ikhlef   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Stan, glad to hear that you will not be affected by the hurricane. Mike, I do not have your address you can communicate it to me by private message please.

|  IP: Logged

Mike Spice
Master Film Handler

- posted August 31, 2019 11:25 AM      Profile for Mike Spice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank You Kamel.

I did send a message but I have now sent another one in pm

Kamel Ikhlef
Expert Film Handler

- posted August 31, 2019 02:08 PM      Profile for Kamel Ikhlef   Email Kamel Ikhlef   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Mike, It's good this time, I did not see your previous message. I send you as soon as it's ready. still some small adjustments and it will be finished.

Mike Spice
Master Film Handler

- posted August 31, 2019 02:55 PM      Profile for Mike Spice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank You Kamel, In your own time.
I am in no hurry.
Many Thanks.

Stan Jelavic
Master Film Handler

- posted August 31, 2019 04:41 PM      Profile for Stan Jelavic   Email Stan Jelavic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Both boards shipped. $15 international shipping each. No tracking. Estimated arrival 2 weeks.
Did not ship the camera standoffs and cables. Can drop them in regular mail which is much cheaper.

Mike Spice
Master Film Handler

- posted August 31, 2019 05:10 PM      Profile for Mike Spice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Stan this is so amazing.

Please let me have a paypal in pm so I could at least cover the postage.

Your generosity is really special.

The work you have done and heavens knows what you have spent during the last few months on this project, I really do feel very privileged to have one of your boards coming my way.

I can't thank you enough.

If you do refuse the postage then I shall make a donation to a Royal Navy Charity on your behalf as a way of saying thank you so much.

I will let you know the moment the board is in my grubby paws.

Thank You for all your research and prototypes, it has been truly amazing watch you progress from messing up a go pro to where we are today.

Stan Jelavic
Master Film Handler

- posted August 31, 2019 09:41 PM      Profile for Stan Jelavic   Email Stan Jelavic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks again Mike. I will be happy to donate to a good cause.
Will start putting the instructions together.

Mike Spice
Master Film Handler

- posted September 02, 2019 08:36 AM      Profile for Mike Spice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Stan When you say camera standoffs and cables, is that something I can buy here?

I think you have done more than enough already.

If this is something I can get I am happy to do that as long as I know exactly what I need to get.

Stan Jelavic
Master Film Handler

- posted September 02, 2019 09:21 AM      Profile for Stan Jelavic   Email Stan Jelavic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK, here is what you will need Mike:
Spacers:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B014KJX65W/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_image?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Switches to board cables:
https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/molex/0151340203/WM15251-ND/6198141

Switches to board and cam sync cables:
https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/molex/0151340403/WM15259-ND/6198149

Extension cable for fan:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B013JRWCBU/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Let me know if you have problems getting any of these and I can send it via regular mail.

Kamel Ikhlef
Expert Film Handler

- posted September 02, 2019 11:09 AM      Profile for Kamel Ikhlef   Email Kamel Ikhlef   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you very much Stan for your PCB, I look forward to it.
In the end, I was more late than I thought with my printer mods.
I received today the new firmware from the Chinese manufacturer. This will redo the leveling of the heating bed. I think I will resume my printings tomorrow. I do my best to send you as soon as possible. Thanks again Stan.

Stan Jelavic
Master Film Handler

- posted September 02, 2019 12:36 PM      Profile for Stan Jelavic   Email Stan Jelavic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok Kamel. No rush. I have one board set on the side just for capstan testing.

Bruce Davis
Film Handler

- posted September 05, 2019 12:09 AM      Profile for Bruce Davis   Author's Homepage   Email Bruce Davis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Stan, I am very interested in your project (thanks for perusing it and the huge amount of work you have put into this), it has been very interesting following its development.
Would you be interested in putting a kit together and sending it to Australia?
I do not have the Wolverine as yet but would only be interested in purchasing one if I could add your modifications (whenever they are ready for sale).
Thanks and regards - Bruce

Bruce Davis
Film Handler

- posted September 05, 2019 12:13 AM      Profile for Bruce Davis   Author's Homepage   Email Bruce Davis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry doubled up on the post, not sure how this happened.

Stan Jelavic
Master Film Handler

- posted September 05, 2019 08:05 AM      Profile for Stan Jelavic   Email Stan Jelavic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have one kit available Bruce. Really not sure how many people are interested so have to buy the parts in low quantities and the shipping costs for parts add up.
Also Mike and Kamel expressed interest in building these.
If interested put your name or pseudonym on the qty spreadsheet so that we can plan the parts procurement and possibly go for auto assembly to save the costs.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/11ulozLsHAFLXWV3mcBSc-CuQRRfOLX6nDC3h63EVo9Q/edit?usp=sharing

Mike Spice
Master Film Handler

- posted September 05, 2019 11:01 AM      Profile for Mike Spice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's a great idea Stan.
There will be interest for sure.

I am looking at the parts you mention, cables and stand offs.

What size stand offs do I need? I am hoping not to have to buy a whole box just for four.

Also the cables, how many would I need, I have a very good component shop around the corner and it's almost certain I can buy single molex pico connectors rather than a whole pile of them

Stan Jelavic
Master Film Handler

- posted September 05, 2019 08:00 PM      Profile for Stan Jelavic   Email Stan Jelavic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe it is better is I just drop them in an envelope just for testing now and you can get more later if you decide to build more boards.
- need qty 4 M2 8mm long standoffs and qty 8 M2 screws
- fan extender cable 2 pin
- on/off switch 2 pin cable
- fan on/off 2 pin cable
- speed control 4 pin cable
- 2pin to 2pin for 5V supply
- canera sync 4pin to 4pin cable

Mike Spice
Master Film Handler

- posted September 06, 2019 03:27 AM      Profile for Mike Spice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Your generosity is amazing Stan.

Once I am scanning I will do everything I can to help our UK folk try and achieve this mod, so I may well end up buying larger quantities of things needed to make it work.

Kamel Ikhlef
Expert Film Handler

- posted September 06, 2019 04:36 AM      Profile for Kamel Ikhlef   Email Kamel Ikhlef   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike, for the fan extension cable,I can send you one (I have several). Your 3D prints are finished, (it remains to insert hot brass nuts).
It's pretty tricky, I'll do quietly that this weekend.
I can send you all this Monday or Tuesday at the latest (I will send at the same time as for Stan). [Smile]

Mike Spice
Master Film Handler

- posted September 06, 2019 05:47 AM      Profile for Mike Spice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank You Kamel. Sounds like you have been busy.
I am most grateful but there is no hurry to post, so please, take your time.
Do not rush for me, I am happy to wait until you have time to work.
Thank You.

Stan Jelavic
Master Film Handler

- posted September 06, 2019 08:49 AM      Profile for Stan Jelavic   Email Stan Jelavic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you Kamel. No rush. I can probably make several boards for US and Canada users.
For now the demand looks pretty low. Possibly because of the cost.
- Wolverine unit - $394.99
- Camera - $185.13
- Interface bd - $70 (guesstimate)
- Shipping - $20
------------------------------------
Total $670.12

But, I don't think there is anything out there that will do the same quality in this price range. Could be wrong.

Kamel Ikhlef
Expert Film Handler

- posted September 06, 2019 03:58 PM      Profile for Kamel Ikhlef   Email Kamel Ikhlef   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There may be a solution for those who wish to lower the price is to tbuy a basic Wolverine (non pro - 285 $). and a camera less expensive but with trigger. (maybe $ 150-180 less for all).
But, the quality has a price!... To study...

Stan Jelavic
Master Film Handler

- posted September 06, 2019 05:03 PM      Profile for Stan Jelavic   Email Stan Jelavic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well put Kamel.
For users that do not have the Wolverine, possibly get the one sold for parts. It may have a defective display or similar issues. It should still work with the board.
The camera is a critical component. I did test different cameras and lenses. The imagingsource one is the best so far.
Check the previous posts.
There is a unit out there sold for around $700 that is similar to the modified Wolverine but will do super 8 only and not sure if it possible to obtain individual frames from it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FA3Vn5Auh5w
The advantage is, no mods required...

Kamel Ikhlef
Expert Film Handler

- posted September 07, 2019 03:00 AM      Profile for Kamel Ikhlef   Email Kamel Ikhlef   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, but the reflecta S8 + poses a lot of problems. and the people who bought it made a lot of mods to get a good image and it will be worse than imaging source results. there is no possibility of framing or zooming in the super 8 frame.
the image is cut off. That's why I did not go on this solution (at the beginning of my research I wanted to buy this telecine but I read a lot of negative reviews.
I also saw the moviestuff telecine very well but really very expensive!
Your solution, Stan, is the best value for money at the moment!...

Mike Spice
Master Film Handler

- posted September 07, 2019 06:25 AM      Profile for Mike Spice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Busy scanning films this week for a friend who's father recently passed, and while clearing out, found a box of his cine going back to 1958.

All standard 8 and a couple of digests in black and white, which I am not scanning.

5 x400ft 5x200ft and 29x 50ft
I am down to the 400's, everything else done.

This is my quick and dirty method of getting a 400ft reel done.

Lay the viewer on it's side with the reel, and in to my famous drop box.

The weight of the reel is less on it's side for the claw to pull it along.

Once I have done the 'jelavic' mod I will have to split 400's to 200ft reels as I won't be able to leave it scanning like this for hours.

This reel will take around 4 hours to complete.
click, click, click, click, click,click,click......
 -

Stan Jelavic
Master Film Handler

- posted September 07, 2019 10:11 AM      Profile for Stan Jelavic   Email Stan Jelavic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Never planned it that way Kamel. Just wanted to have some fun in my spare time. Mike, there may be a way of speeding up the transfer. With the image centered better it may be possible to crop the image right in the camera by selecting appropriate resolution. The transfer then becomes faster and the speed of the stepper can be increased. Will try that this weekend.

All times are Central
This topic comprises 56 pages: 1  2  3  ...  30  31  32  33  34  35  36  ...  54  55  56 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC