8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Review Wolverine Reels2Digital MovieMaker 8mm film digitizer (Page 6)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 56 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  ...  54  55  56 

Author Topic: Review Wolverine Reels2Digital MovieMaker 8mm film digitizer
Berend De Meyer
Expert Film Handler

- posted August 21, 2017 03:56 AM      Profile for Berend De Meyer   Email Berend De Meyer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Mike, please let us know about the outcome, thanks

quote:
The reply came back that they wanted to charge me $20 for the new take up assembly.
Are they out of their minds? [Eek!]

--------------------
Cheers | “I am an advocate of the "if it ain't broken, don't fix it" modus operandi!”

|  IP: Logged

Mike Spice
Master Film Handler

- posted August 21, 2017 04:48 AM      Profile for Mike Spice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
a new take up assembly has left california and is in transit.
free of charge.

Apparently they have tested it to make sure it won't seize up like the original

I intend to take the seized up assembly in to my work, where I can call on a technician to take it apart.

Taking it apart involves two small circlips, if I try and remove them I know they will fly off and never be seen again... perhaps we can find out why the original assembly seized up...

Berend De Meyer
Expert Film Handler

- posted August 21, 2017 04:52 AM      Profile for Berend De Meyer   Email Berend De Meyer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Mike, that's a great idea to take it apart and get it reviewed by technicians. Thanks for your input.

--------------------
Cheers | “I am an advocate of the "if it ain't broken, don't fix it" modus operandi!”

Mike Spice
Master Film Handler

- posted August 23, 2017 08:15 AM      Profile for Mike Spice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The new take up assembly arrived.

Fitted today but it looks like I made the mistake of thinking it was the take up clutch, when it actually appears to be the motor again..

I have made a video of the problem, along with the repair I did this morning, but it is still not working as it should do.

Right now I have a two month old $400 paper weight.

I have emailed the link of the video to Wolverine Data and will not hold my breath for too long to see what they say in reaction...

If you would like to see my repair and my current problem here is a link to the video

Mike Spice You Tube

Mike Spice
Master Film Handler

- posted August 23, 2017 11:52 AM      Profile for Mike Spice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I decided to open up the original wolverine motor to have a look and see if there was an obvious reason for it's failure.

wolverine original motor, fail.

Daniel D. Teoli Jr.
Film Handler

- posted August 23, 2017 02:15 PM      Profile for Daniel D. Teoli Jr.   Email Daniel D. Teoli Jr.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had 2 Wolverines. They produce a low quality image. They are easy to use. They are cheap $ and built to be disposables.

My first one lasted about 21 reels. At about 18 reels it started to squeal terribly. Then it started to jam up and wrecked some sprocket holes at rel #22.

I returned it for an exchange. The next one lasted less. I gave up on them. If you can use a low grade image for cheap money and are lucky enuf to get one that works they seem like an interesting prospect.

Berend De Meyer
Expert Film Handler

- posted August 23, 2017 03:10 PM      Profile for Berend De Meyer   Email Berend De Meyer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Mike, thanks for the video, I'll forward the link to Somikon as well presuming you would mind. I never dared to open it up, afraid losing my warranty. Daniel has a point, but still I don't agree to accept the quality for the euros, because 400 isn't sort of pocket money, at least for me.

--------------------

Mike Spice
Master Film Handler

- posted August 24, 2017 02:52 AM      Profile for Mike Spice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Berend you are welcome to use the video in any way you choose.

It turns out I have made a mistake. Wolverine looked at my video and came back to me to point out I have not re greased the grey gear wheels on the take up.

This morning I will go out and get some grease, that is surely my fault/stupidity for not doing that.

For the frame Jitter they have suggested a quarter turn unscrew on the metal plate in the gate.

Give them due for offering advice, and I will try and report back in a day or two.

I had two choices at my first fail, there are no service centres outside the USA.

Return to Amazon for a new machine, and probably face the same problem again.

Get in touch with Wolverine and see what can be done.

I chose to get in touch with Wolverine who sent me a new motor for free which I am able to fit.

Second fail, they have sent me another part, for free, half way around the planet.

credit it to them for that, altho I now fear that is the end of my free servicing! lol....

The image quality may not best the best, but at least I have my films saved now.

The machine cost me £300 (around $380) and my films would have cost me around the same price to have them scanned by someone else. So far I have made around £230 scanning films for other people so the machine has almost paid for itself now.

I shall continue with wolverine, the actual scanning mech seems up to the job, it is the take up section that seems to be the weak link in the chain.

I knew there was a risk buying this machine, I looked at online reviews, videos at you tube and advice from another user and reading at this forum, but I chose to go ahead and buy it, while I am dissapointed I am not going to slag off Wolverine or Winait (the people who actually make these devices)
It's clear to see the machine is evolving, the original O ring is gone, my version now has a cooling fan and gear driven take up, and they have given me good support and advice.

Berend De Meyer
Expert Film Handler

- posted August 29, 2017 04:35 PM      Profile for Berend De Meyer   Email Berend De Meyer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike, I just visited your YT channel. What video editor are you using? I'm getting great results removing the dust and scratches with the Neat Video v4 plug-in.

--------------------

Mike Spice
Master Film Handler

- posted August 30, 2017 07:14 AM      Profile for Mike Spice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've made no attempt to clean up my pictures in edit.
I am happy with them the way they are....

In the same manner, I quite like the clicks and pops from my 1960's vinyl.

I have a choice of edit software I can use, from moviePlus X6, Imovie and FCP

My 'go to' for speed and ease is MoviePlus x6 on my everyday laptop

Berend De Meyer
Expert Film Handler

- posted August 30, 2017 07:37 AM      Profile for Berend De Meyer   Email Berend De Meyer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I understand of course, I was just curious what your editing program is and if you made any - if so how - attempts to clean-up the output of the scanner. Thanks for your reply.

--------------------

Kurt Froberg
Junior

- posted August 31, 2017 06:25 AM      Profile for Kurt Froberg   Email Kurt Froberg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi all,
I mentioned in an earlier post that I have adjusted the lens focus on my Somikon since I thought the pictures looked too soft with the preset focus from factory. I also read on the Filmshooting forum about this problem and how it could be improved. I have now made a short video to show the difference between the preset focus and my adjusted. You really need to connect the machine to a big screen or TV to be able to adjust the focus properly.
Here is the video https://youtu.be/POOHxe7dt3M

I wonder how many machines out there that are poorly focused?

Kurt

Mike Spice
Master Film Handler

- posted August 31, 2017 07:45 AM      Profile for Mike Spice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
it would be helpful to know how to manually adjust the focus

Kurt Froberg
Junior

- posted August 31, 2017 08:18 AM      Profile for Kurt Froberg   Email Kurt Froberg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To get access to the focusing ring on the camera lens you have to dismantle the machine back and front cover INCLUDING snapping off the touch panel (you won't get the front cover off without doing that!). There is some locking glue on the lens ring but with some gentle force it will loosen.
I have now modified mine machine with enlarged the hole in the front cover to be able to reach the focusing ring without taking the machine apart again. Yes I know that the warranty now is gone...
Hope this helps.
Kurt

Mike Spice
Master Film Handler

- posted August 31, 2017 08:57 AM      Profile for Mike Spice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
thanks Kurt, Wow, that is some 'MOD' [Smile]
My warranty is long gone on the Wolverine as I have had to replace the motor and take up assembly myself due to there being no service centers outside of the USA and I am in europe.

I have now greased the gears and adjusted the gate screws on my Wolverine as per the instructions from Wolverine Data.

I am sorry to say nothing has changed, the machine is still useless and I have sent a link of the video which demonstrates the problem, and a very strongly worded complaint to Wolverine Data in California.

I really am beginning to regret buying this peice of junk now..

Greased up Wolverine scanner still not working!

Berend De Meyer
Expert Film Handler

- posted August 31, 2017 09:27 AM      Profile for Berend De Meyer   Email Berend De Meyer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Kurt, thank you for sharing your modification! Could you please share some photos if this DIY mod? So if I understand correctly, you did not use the firmware menu settings - high-mid-low - for sharpness in any of these samples? I looks amazing, great job!

Mike, your story is horrible and I'm sorry to hear that your scanner has become useless! Wow, what can I say more. Please keep us updated on the feedback from your supplier.

--------------------

Mike Spice
Master Film Handler

- posted August 31, 2017 09:47 AM      Profile for Mike Spice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As well as complaining to Wolverine Data I have now filed a return with Amazon and Winait who supplied the machine.
If I can get my money back, I will.

I will keep you updated, but I am unlikely to hear anything for a few days.

James Wilson
Expert Film Handler

- posted August 31, 2017 10:06 AM      Profile for James Wilson   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Mike,
So sad to hear about your wolverine,
I emailed Winait the builders of these machines, they`re reply was
that they build the Somikon, Wolverine, Winait, etc. All these machines have the same works so it appears it depends on your luck.
Well I was going to get a Somikon, because of the 7" reel caperbility, having done a lot of reserch online, it seems your better of setting up some sort of gismo to taks 7" reels, anyway that`s of no use to you now, needless to say I will not be going ahead with any purchess now.
Regards,
James.

--------------------
James Wilson

Mike Spice
Master Film Handler

- posted August 31, 2017 11:09 AM      Profile for Mike Spice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
within an hour of my stroppy "im going to amazon for a refund" email I am told they are now going to send me a second new motor and new gears

I have to give them credit, they are very good at sending out free parts, so I will accept thier kind offer and see what happens this time!

I think sending them the video to actually see and hear the problem will have helped too

Kurt Froberg
Junior

- posted August 31, 2017 01:29 PM      Profile for Kurt Froberg   Email Kurt Froberg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Berend,
Here are some photos I took when I did the refocusing of the optical lens on the Somikon HD-XL scanner. I also enlarged the opening in the front cover for the lens so I am now able to set the focus without remantling the unit again.

Here is the machine with the front cover taken off. The camera lens can be seen in the middle of the picture.

-

Here is a close up of the lens. There is some locking glue on the lens, but it is quite easy to brake the locking.

-

You must snap off the touch button panel to take off the front cover!

-

Here is how I enlarged the hole for the camera lens to be able to adjust the focus when the machine is assembled. I simply filed up the round hole in the plastic a little when I had the front cover away.

-

Mike Spice
Master Film Handler

- posted August 31, 2017 01:41 PM      Profile for Mike Spice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Kurt, many thanks for the photos. Really interesting.

Are you not worried now you have cracked the sealant on the lens, that it could drift out of focus during a scan, due to the machine vibrating?

Also, are you worried about more stray light getting in to the lens with a larger opening?

I usually stand a peice of card in front of my gate area during scanning to stop stray light getting in...

thanks for sharing the photos, not sure I am prepared to do that to my wolverine even tho your images do look better with a manual re focus, altho the exposure does look slightly different/brighter on the re focused image, as well as sharper.

Is the brighter exposure because of the video edit or did you change it in the scan?

David Hollandsworth
Junior

- posted August 31, 2017 02:54 PM      Profile for David Hollandsworth   Author's Homepage   Email David Hollandsworth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Been using this unit for a number of months. Have probably done several dozen reels of film and am pleased enough with it. My problem is that every now and then, the unit will just stop when recording. It did it several times one day several months ago and then never had a problem until today when it did it again 3 or 4 times before running fine. Anyone else have this issue?

Mike Spice
Master Film Handler

- posted September 01, 2017 02:16 AM      Profile for Mike Spice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The only time mine has stopped is when it hit a broken sprocket or bad tape splice. When that has happened I have just pulled the film to the right of the gate until it picks up and continues.

When you say yours stopped, do you mean it powered down, or perhaps the film stopped moving but the machine appeared to be running, or has it stopped capturing and the motor shut down?

Kurt Froberg
Junior

- posted September 01, 2017 02:16 AM      Profile for Kurt Froberg   Email Kurt Froberg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Mike,
"Are you not worried now you have cracked the sealant on the lens, that it could drift out of focus during a scan, due to the machine vibrating?"
The lens has sufficiant friction so I don΄t think it will move due to vibrations.

"Also, are you worried about more stray light getting in to the lens with a larger opening?"
That could perhaps be an issue in some cases, but I have used the machine in a fairly dark room.

Kurt

Mike Spice
Master Film Handler

- posted September 01, 2017 02:19 AM      Profile for Mike Spice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Kurt, you have given me something to think about. I went back and looked at some of my scans and I agree that the focus doesn't appear to be as sharp as it could...

All times are Central
This topic comprises 56 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  ...  54  55  56 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC