8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Kodak Estar ... low fade?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Kodak Estar ... low fade?
Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted April 06, 2017 10:57 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello all of you happy campers.

Is "Kodak Estar' a low fade film stock, or is that just the name of a stock without being low fade necessarily? I'm asking as there is a print I am wanting to bid on, but I just want to be sure as to wether it's a low fade print, becauswe what I usually know of low fade is that it actually says "Agfa" or "Eastman L.P.P." or something along those lines, but "Kodak Estar" confuses me.

I appreciate you're feedback, folks!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

|  IP: Logged

Fabrizio Mosca
Master Film Handler

- posted April 06, 2017 11:07 AM      Profile for Fabrizio Mosca   Email Fabrizio Mosca   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Osi,
Estar is the name for Polyester in Kodak terms, but it is not linked to a particular stock.
Also in current Kodak Price List, print and intermediate films have the indication of "ESTAR Base" when it is on polyester

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted April 06, 2017 11:15 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm, so that doesn'r necessarily mean that it's low fade. Thank you for you're feedback, anybody else?

--------------------

Bill Brandenstein
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 06, 2017 10:18 PM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's very much correct, Osi. I have multiple examples of film on Estar or equivalent polyester stock with color fading, both in 16mm and Super 8. Estar is simply the base, and a replacement for acetate. It's great since it can't go to vinegar and is very strong, but it scratches more easily and can't be glued.

So LPP Estar is the gold standard for longevity. There's also LPP on acetate, for example some late TV prints I have because it made station editing easier. But someday those, like me, will decompose.

Anyway, the base and the emulsion are fairly independent, as you can see.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted April 07, 2017 11:16 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the feedback from you fellows, i do appreciate it. I think I'll ask the seller exactly what type or "color preservation" is used on that Estar stock.

OSI

--------------------

Bill Brandenstein
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 07, 2017 02:08 PM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There you go. And we're always game for a good story! [Smile]

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted April 08, 2017 09:21 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone collecting Derann releases in the 1980s could easily imagine that polyestar prints were all low fade, simply because the low fade LPP era had begun shortly before polyestar became the norm for all their releases. I can still remember an open day around 1983 at which Derek explained the differences. But even with Derann releases I think I've come across one or two faded polyestar prints, probably because the lab was using up some older stock.

At least in my experience, it took longer for polyestar to become the norm in relation to 16mm prints, which is annoying because I had a perfect LPP 16mm print of 'The Mummy's Shroud' that was ruined by VS!

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC