8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Somikon HD-XL Film Scanner & Digitizer (Super) 8mm - EU market (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Author Topic: Somikon HD-XL Film Scanner & Digitizer (Super) 8mm - EU market
Barbara Strohl
Film Handler

- posted May 25, 2017 10:53 AM      Profile for Barbara Strohl   Email Barbara Strohl   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think the main point that must be kept in mind is that this is being designed and marketed to home users with home/family films.

First off, the average person will only have 3" reels. Maybe a few 5". 7" reels for home movies are very rare.

Secondly, the quality of most of these movies are poor. Lenses were dirty, lighting was bad, kids fought over the camera, someone who new nothing would get stuck holding it,it got turned on and off at the wrong times, film ran out in the middle of things. Yet we still managed to capture memories.

Finally they do need to keep it cheap. Probably by making sacrifices. These are going out to people who don't have the funds to buy a better machine or send 50 reels to a service. Those options have been around but average people can't justify the cost.

My complaint is that the final MP4s are the wrong speed. I realize that they have tried to make this simple eough for anyone and they have come close.

A non-tech friend on a tight budget was thrilled with the film after I reset the FPS. If the FPS was right, she could borrow my machine and do her own films. If her husband found a job, they could get their own machine.

I still think there is a place for machines like this but it isn't for everyone. Decide your own needs.

--------------------
Barb

I'm an amateur noob. Please be gentle.

|  IP: Logged

Doug Stratton
Junior

- posted May 25, 2017 09:57 PM      Profile for Doug Stratton   Email Doug Stratton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Barbara,
you might want to read my post on page 3 here. Its really easy to fix the framerate on these scanner clips with no re-encoding (no quality loss) and takes less than 20 seconds

http://8mmforum.film-tech.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=011395;p=3

Ty Reynolds
Film Handler

- posted May 26, 2017 02:46 AM      Profile for Ty Reynolds   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It has been stated a few times on this forum that 50-foot reels are the norm for home movies, some were on 200-foot reels, and that home movies on 400-foot reels are rare.

Not so. I've been doing film conversions for more than 25 years, and still digitize several thousand feet a week. More than half my customers bring in at least some of their films on the 7-inch reels.

If 400-foot reels of film were so unusual, the market for projectors with that capacity would be very small. As it is, projectors limited to 200 feet are the scarcity.

This is why the Wolverine's 200-foot limit seems like a shot in the foot to me.

Barbara Strohl
Film Handler

- posted May 26, 2017 10:07 AM      Profile for Barbara Strohl   Email Barbara Strohl   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Doug. I'll look at that.

--------------------
Barb

I'm an amateur noob. Please be gentle.

Berend De Meyer
Expert Film Handler

- posted June 26, 2017 01:21 AM      Profile for Berend De Meyer   Email Berend De Meyer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Returned my deck for an exchange! Keep you posted.

Cheers

--------------------
Cheers | “I am an advocate of the "if it ain't broken, don't fix it" modus operandi!”

Berend De Meyer
Expert Film Handler

- posted July 02, 2017 07:29 AM      Profile for Berend De Meyer   Email Berend De Meyer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi all,

UPDATE: my deck is being investigated bt PEARL.DE atm. Keep you posted!

Cheers

--------------------
Cheers | “I am an advocate of the "if it ain't broken, don't fix it" modus operandi!”

Berend De Meyer
Expert Film Handler

- posted July 09, 2017 10:46 AM      Profile for Berend De Meyer   Email Berend De Meyer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi all,

Received a brand new scanner for an exchange! Great service by PEARL.de. Getting ready for a new batch of 8mm scanning. Keep you posted about my findings. I do hope I had a Blue Monday scanner last time and that this one will be better and last longer.

Have a nice Sunday! [Cool]

Cheers

--------------------

James Wilson
Expert Film Handler

- posted July 09, 2017 01:48 PM      Profile for James Wilson   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Berend,

I hope you have good fortune with this one, can you see any upgrades eg, vents in back, internal fan, upgrade on the belt drive,
Many Thanks,
James.

--------------------
James Wilson

Berend De Meyer
Expert Film Handler

- posted July 10, 2017 07:51 AM      Profile for Berend De Meyer   Email Berend De Meyer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi James,

The deck is the same as the previous one, so doing another batch will prove if any improvements were made.

-

-

-

Cheers

--------------------

James Wilson
Expert Film Handler

- posted July 10, 2017 12:29 PM      Profile for James Wilson   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Berend,

Thanks for the pictures, are the vent slots in the back original?

Regards,
James.

--------------------
James Wilson

Berend De Meyer
Expert Film Handler

- posted July 11, 2017 06:01 AM      Profile for Berend De Meyer   Email Berend De Meyer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi James,

You're most welcome! Yes, the vent holes on the back are original as per this rebranded deck. The Somikon is like a v2 version of the Wolverine.
- higher resolution
- better thermal engineering

I did not open the deck - voids warranty? - to see the internals. But, if you have a choice I would recommend the Somikon for sure!

Cheers

--------------------

James Wilson
Expert Film Handler

- posted July 11, 2017 07:17 AM      Profile for James Wilson   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Berend,

Thanks that`s just what I was hoping to hear.
Regards,
James.

--------------------
James Wilson

Berend De Meyer
Expert Film Handler

- posted July 16, 2017 08:01 AM      Profile for Berend De Meyer   Email Berend De Meyer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi James,

Have you decided yet? Just curious.

Cheers

--------------------

James Wilson
Expert Film Handler

- posted July 16, 2017 10:22 AM      Profile for James Wilson   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Berend,

Yes, I will go with the Somikon, even if it`s only for the 7" reel transfer capabilities.
Regards,
James.

--------------------
James Wilson

Berend De Meyer
Expert Film Handler

- posted July 16, 2017 10:48 AM      Profile for Berend De Meyer   Email Berend De Meyer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi James,

Good luck with your purchase and let me know what your experience is with it. Most reels I receive are indeed 7" or smaller.

Cheers

--------------------

Peter Scott
Film Handler

- posted July 17, 2017 06:07 AM      Profile for Peter Scott     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Bernard

what web site can you order this from and do you know if they will ship to the UK as I would so much like to get one, its far better than the Wolverine

Roy Woodward
Junior

- posted July 21, 2017 02:48 AM      Profile for Roy Woodward   Email Roy Woodward   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Peter Scott. I'm another person interested in this type of product in the UK.

My father passed away earlier this year, and he was an avid cine enthusiast in his younger days. So I have dozens of reels of 8mm and Super 8 I'd like to digitise.

Here in the UK we are in the unfortunate position where no UK supplier seems to sell these products. The Wolverine is only available in the USA. There is an identical machine (from the original Chinese manufacturer I think) called a Winait which is for sale at UK£299.99, but from the delivery info will be shipped from China, and therefore subject to import duties.

My preference would be for the Somikon HD XL, with the 1080p scanning, 400ft capacity, and later design. In Europe this seems to be sold exclusively by Pearl, in France and Germany. I've contacted Pearl.de, and they have confirmed they will export to the UK. There the scanner is €399.99, and Pearl have confirmed a shipping cost of €19.99 to the UK. This total converts to about UK£365, so probably not much more expensive than the Winait.

I hope that info is of some help. Finally, has anyone else taken the plunge and had experience with the Somikon, and how is Berend's replacement unit performing?

Peter Scott
Film Handler

- posted July 21, 2017 03:32 AM      Profile for Peter Scott     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Roy
I managed to get one from Ebay Germany (brand new) and the cost with shipping to UK was £318.
I have a wolverine but not very impressed matter of fact its the second one as the first packed up and I had to send it back to wolverine in California only for me having to pay the carriage and duty again to get a replacement.
My reason to get a Somikon is the 400ft capacity.

Berend De Meyer
Expert Film Handler

- posted July 21, 2017 06:13 AM      Profile for Berend De Meyer   Email Berend De Meyer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Peter,

Sorry for my late reply. I ordered mine at www.PEARL.DE

Roy, thanks for all your additional info's! I haven't been able to start a new batch yet, will keep you all posted of course.

Cheers

[ July 24, 2017, 04:02 AM: Message edited by: Berend De Meyer ]

--------------------

Mike Spice
Master Film Handler

- posted July 21, 2017 06:35 AM      Profile for Mike Spice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can confirm that doug stratton software for frame rate conversion is easy and fast.
The presets don't offer 18fps but it is easy to edit the frame rate to any value you like.
Info from Kurt who kindly posted this for me.

You can actually choose ANY frame rate you wish if you do this little change in My MP4Box:
Under "View", choose "Edit Command Line".
When you start Mux, you can choose Fps=15, you will see a new window with the actual command line which you can edit where you see the fps=15 you just change the numbers from 15 to 18 (or 24 or whatever), then press "Copy and Run".

Hope this helps
Kurt

Roy Woodward
Junior

- posted July 21, 2017 06:49 AM      Profile for Roy Woodward   Email Roy Woodward   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Peter,
Thanks for the update. I've looked today on eBay.de, but there are only two listings from Pearl (for new or refurbished units) and an auction for a used one. Is the seller who sold yours still listing? I only ask because it seems cheaper than importing a unit from Pearl.

Hi Berend,
I'm looking forward to any further updates once you get chance to use your new unit. The trouble is we all lead such busy lives!

Thanks and regards,
Roy

Peter Scott
Film Handler

- posted July 27, 2017 07:17 AM      Profile for Peter Scott     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry for the delay in getting back, I have just received my Somikon and first thoughts are its far superior than the Wolverine, the capacity to transfer 400ft reels is a big bonus plus as well in high def.
Getting the Wolverine you have to remember the added fees (VAT, Import Duty, Handling) this all adds up and increases the price, plus the quality is not soo good, my first Wolverine packed up, it cost me money to send it back to Wolverine then they said it was my fault and would not replace it, so I had to buy a new one from them, admitted they reduced the price but then again I had to pay the fees to get the replacement into the UK.
I would definite go for the Somikon rather than the Wolverine

Berend De Meyer
Expert Film Handler

- posted July 27, 2017 08:08 AM      Profile for Berend De Meyer   Email Berend De Meyer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Peter,

Congrats with the purchase of your Somikon. A wise choice over the Wolverine and I hope you'll enjoy it - results for the euro - as much as I do.

Today I finally started a new batch of our family archive with my new (exchanged) deck. Just for the record or for others to compare, I got one with firmware # 20170207-PL05-DE. Keep you posted on the results for this new batch.

To adjust the 30 fps speed, I adjust the captures by factor 0.6 in my Power Director Suite, to meet the exact 18 fps my Father shot the footage with his Bell & Howell "Optronic Eye" - Duolex S Vintage Film Camera.

Cheers

[ April 12, 2018, 05:41 AM: Message edited by: Berend De Meyer ]

--------------------

Peter Scott
Film Handler

- posted July 27, 2017 10:38 AM      Profile for Peter Scott     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have just finished capturing a 400ft reel of standard 8 film but I have noticed that the frame is out in other words at the top of the picture I can see just a small view (not a lot admitted) of the bottom of the other frame is their any adjustment for this or did I thread it up wrong.#
Thanks

Peter Scott
Film Handler

- posted July 27, 2017 10:39 AM      Profile for Peter Scott     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have just finished capturing a 400ft reel of standard 8 film but I have noticed that the frame is out in other words at the top of the picture I can see just a small view (not a lot admitted) of the bottom of the other frame is their any adjustment for this or did I thread it up wrong.
Thanks

All times are Central
This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC