8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Need help w/Emdeko projector

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Need help w/Emdeko projector
Jim Terry
Junior

- posted April 30, 2017 08:42 AM      Profile for Jim Terry   Email Jim Terry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I bought an Emdeko projector a while ago from a lady member some time ago. Today I want to use it to view old family films. My problem is my movie reel center hole is smaller than the projectors reel holder. How do I remove or convert it to be able to put my reel on it?

|  IP: Logged

Barbara Strohl
Film Handler

- posted April 30, 2017 09:11 AM      Profile for Barbara Strohl   Email Barbara Strohl   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What model is the projector?

It sounds like your film is standard 8mm and your projector is a Super8.

--------------------
Barb

I'm an amateur noob. Please be gentle.

James Wilson
Expert Film Handler

- posted April 30, 2017 09:13 AM      Profile for James Wilson   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Jim,

it would appear your projector is for Super8mm film only,
whilst your film is Standard 8mm or Super
8mm on an Standard 8mm reel? (this would not be the first time)

If it is Standard 8mm you will need a dual gauge projector or
a standard 8mm only, hope this helps
Kind Regards,
James.

--------------------
James Wilson

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted April 30, 2017 10:03 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If the Emdeko is a model EM 7000 or an EM 9000 it is a dual gauge projector which is capable of showing standard 8 films and Super 8 films.
If the spool will not fit on the projector the film certainly sounds as if it standard 8.
It may be that re-spooling the film onto a Super 8 spool (which has a larger hole size), and selecting the projector to show standard 8 (which may be marked as Regular 8) will enable it to run the film.

--------------------
Maurice

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted April 30, 2017 10:30 AM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Jim... HERE'S THE REEL SCOOP [Smile] You bought that projector from me. Glad to see you are finally using it. I did a lamp conversion on that machine. It now takes less expensive Halogen bulbs. The Emdeko is just a re-badged GAF. It is indeed a dual format projector. The rear take-up spindle is Super 8, which is common. A Super 8 reel was included with the projector for this purpose. The front supply spindle has a Standard 8mm spindle with a Super 8 adapter. You have to remove the adapter to use standard 8 reels.

-

The adapter can sometimes be difficult to remove.

-

Here are the instructions from the manual. If you need another copy of the manual, I'd be happy to send it to you.

-

Please let me know if you have any other questions

[ April 30, 2017, 01:00 PM: Message edited by: Janice Glesser ]

--------------------
Janice

"I'm having a very good day!"
Richard Dreyfuss - Let It Ride (1989).

Jim Terry
Junior

- posted May 01, 2017 12:34 PM      Profile for Jim Terry   Email Jim Terry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Janice....I finally figured it out and your right it wasn't easy to remove the adapter. FYI I did use the projector before then set it aside. Still works fine and I am still glad I found you when I needed help. Thanks again!

Jim

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted May 01, 2017 12:39 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So glad you got your answer Jim. Now you can just enjoy watching your movies. That's what's it all about anyway [Smile]

--------------------
Janice

Edwin van Eck
Master Film Handler

- posted May 06, 2017 04:41 AM      Profile for Edwin van Eck   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Jim,

This projector is basically the same as the GAF 1588 projector, see:
https://van-eck.net/itable.php?lang=en&size=0&cat=film&merk=64&type=1588%20Z

We produce these Adaptor Sleeves.

I would like to add the Emdeko projector to our spare part finder. If you can share me some pictures / user guide, I will add it!

--------------------
Edwin van Eck
Van Eck Video Services

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted May 06, 2017 09:27 AM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Edwin... I refurbished and sold Jim the projector. I have photos of the projector from my Ebay listing. I posted a good one above and you are welcome to use it. If you need others let me know what you are looking for. Here's a link to a video I made. I have all the photos you see in the video. Please PM me your email address and I'll send them to you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJDkJsQQWAw

Sorry, but I did not have the Emdeko user guide. Because the projector was almost identical to the GAF, I sent Jim a generic manual produced by GAF called "Dual 8 Movie Projector." A scan of one of the pages is shown above. I can also send you it if you wish.

--------------------
Janice

Billy Morris
Junior

- posted August 13, 2019 11:25 AM      Profile for Billy Morris   Email Billy Morris   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mrs. Glesser,

Would you please contact me regarding the lamp conversion performed on the Emdeko EM-9000. Thank You!

Respectfully,
Billy Morris

billy.c.morris84@gmail.com

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted August 13, 2019 01:09 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Billy ... posted a response in your other thread.

http://8mmforum.film-tech.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=013053# 000001

--------------------
Janice

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC