8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » A GOLDFINGER question

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: A GOLDFINGER question
Oliver F. R. Feld
Master Film Handler

- posted May 16, 2017 02:30 AM      Profile for Oliver F. R. Feld     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,
I own a Super-8-print of GOLDFINGER and the seller didnīt know if it is a DERANN-release. I put a Stereo soundtrack on it and it could be a gem.
The print has great colours, but the sharpness is only okay and the whole print is on the darker side: the car chase in the woods is hard to follow.
My question is: is every print like this or are there differences in the DERANN releases? Or is my print from a different distributor?
It has english titles.
Thank You in advance.
Oliver

|  IP: Logged

Alexander Vandeputte
Expert Film Handler

- posted May 16, 2017 06:43 AM      Profile for Alexander Vandeputte     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In my experience, even every print from the same distributor tends to be different, sometimes very different, sometimes barely noticeable. Depending on when it was printed and lab conditions on that particular moment. Is your print Agfa or Kodak LPP ?
I think what you have, is a genuine Derann print. If it was an Italian / Spanish bootleg, I doubt it would have been in lowfade stock.
My Derann Goldfinger is on Kodak LPP and the print is sharp but not pin-sharp and indeed a tad on the dark side.

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted May 16, 2017 06:55 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Spot on Alexander, and often film reels making up a feature could very well have been printed at a much different time zone and even on different stock at times.

Knowing the Distributor details, ultimately guarantees you nothing. All prints tend to be very individual items for the most part.

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Jason Smith
Master Film Handler

- posted May 16, 2017 08:36 AM      Profile for Jason Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My copy is on Kodak film with a date code of 1988. I seem to remember my copy also having some scenes that seemed to be dark. Here's a few pictures from my print.

-

-

-

-

-

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted May 16, 2017 09:45 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Yours is a stunner Jason. [Smile]

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 16, 2017 09:58 AM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Also remember that the Derann release came from a negative that was in poor state. After a certain number of prints it had to be patched with scenes from another one so this release would have variations over time.

I remember in his review Keith Wilton thinking there would only be a limited number of prints struck and said "forget your holidays this year and buy this release".

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted May 16, 2017 12:10 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wasn't this originally a scope feature? I might be wrong.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

David Ollerearnshaw
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 16, 2017 12:15 PM      Profile for David Ollerearnshaw   Author's Homepage   Email David Ollerearnshaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No Osi just flat, they went to scope for the next one Thunderball.

1.66 : 1 (intended ratio, Europe)
1.85 : 1 (intended ratio, USA)

--------------------
I love the smell of film in the morning.

http://www.thereelimage.co.uk/

Oliver F. R. Feld
Master Film Handler

- posted May 16, 2017 01:08 PM      Profile for Oliver F. R. Feld     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks,
so many stunning informations!!!

-
 -
 -

This is how my print looks. Where do I find the print stock?

Alexander Vandeputte
Expert Film Handler

- posted May 16, 2017 01:39 PM      Profile for Alexander Vandeputte     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oliver, your print is the real deal.
Print stock: look for markings in the print, between perforations. Agfa will usually have S1 or S2 or S3 or S4. Kodak LPP will state Kodak LPP and it will have a date code. For example: "++ triangle" for a 1988 print.
When print stock is unmarked, there are sometimes other clues but not always. For example: acetate Agfa has a very distinct smell and no other film smells like that.
Polyester prints: when you hold the reel against the light an Agfa reel will have a grayish color, a Kodak reel will have a brown color. I am guessing your print will be Kodak LPP. Let us know [Smile]

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 16, 2017 04:57 PM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My print is on Agfa.

Mike Newell
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 16, 2017 06:01 PM      Profile for Mike Newell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Derann used two negatives after the first one was damaged. The first batch of 30 prints were as shown. Slightly dark in places but more than acceptable. Also felt the need to use 150 watt projector when showing. The other run of prints had mark and faults that made Derann discontinue title. Shame as it would have been a great seller.

Jason Smith
Master Film Handler

- posted May 16, 2017 09:20 PM      Profile for Jason Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike, that`s interesting history concerning this feature. It`s a pity that they were not able to make many prints. I`m curious what those prints from the second negative look like...I might have to watch my print again and see which negative my print came from.

The last time I watched it I do remember it being somewhat dark even though I was using a halogen GS-1200. I`m sure this film wouldn`t look too bad with a xenon projector.

Oliver if your copy happens to be on Kodak film, it may not necessarily say LPP on it.
My print has Kodak Eastman Safety Film written along the sprocket holes. Even though it doesn`t say LPP on it, it has a plus sign and two triangles date code on it which according to the chart means the film was manufactured in 1988.

https://www.kodak.com/KodakGCG/uploadedfiles/motion/Guide_to_Identifying_Year_of_Manufacture.pdf

Oliver F. R. Feld
Master Film Handler

- posted May 16, 2017 11:42 PM      Profile for Oliver F. R. Feld     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Guys,
You are amazing! History and facts about GOLDFINGER... Wow!

I took a pic from my material.

-

I can read EASTMAN LP SAFETY on the material.
The pixel restrictions make it impossible to show a better picture.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted May 17, 2017 11:58 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jason is correct. LPP low fade wasn't always marked as low fade, especially in it's earlier days.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC