8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Ebay Question

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Ebay Question
Brad Kimball
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 31, 2017 04:49 PM      Profile for Brad Kimball   Email Brad Kimball   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Do the foreign Ebay sites list different film titles from the domestic site? I see alot of crossover on the domestic site. Is it worth checking all of them?

|  IP: Logged

Melvin England
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 31, 2017 05:46 PM      Profile for Melvin England     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad - I would say yes... check them all. Here in the UK we get our British listings, then at the bottom we get a list of "international Sellers" films which are mostly from the States. I assume your system would be similar and some of our UK listings at the bottom of your listings? I have wandered onto the French and Italian Ebay sites and their list of films can be completely different from ours.... and some of the titles can be interesting,too. It is worth taking a look ( Ebay.fr / Ebay.it ) regardless of the language difference.It can be an eye opener sometimes!

--------------------
"My name is for my friends!"

Bernard C. G. Pritchard
Junior

- posted May 31, 2017 06:03 PM      Profile for Bernard C. G. Pritchard   Author's Homepage   Email Bernard C. G. Pritchard   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dear Brad,

Yes, I would contend that it is advantageous to search other eBay areas for sought items.

Here in the UK, there are three choices of areas to be searched: UK Only, European Union and Worldwide. These choivces appear as boxes to be ticked, under the 'Item Location' section to the lfet of the listing. By default, if only a few items appear, a further '22 (or whatever number) items found from eBay international sellers' list appears.

Over the years, I have bought a variety of goods from the USA, including a few Super-8 films, but also books, records and even drums and cymbals.

So, Brad, happy worldwide bidding (or buying-it-now)!

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted June 03, 2017 11:25 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, definitely!

I've noticed that when, for instance, I look up with ask.com "ebay AU' or "ebay UK", and go to the link for that specific site, it will show a lot more listings, and the reason for this is the same as the reason why many of our US auctions don't get seen overseas a lot ... (this is my theory, for the moment) ...

If you don't list foreign shipping quotes, I know for a fact that it won't allow overseas bidding, so I am assuming that ebay then decides, "why show the auction if they can't bid?' and doesn't show them ...

that's my current theory [Smile]

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted June 03, 2017 03:37 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think Ebay now make a very strick limitation that if your IP is known from the country where that particular listing will not send (no overseas shipping, selected countries of destination, rtc) you will not be able to see it, until you change your IP. And to change your IP you need to habe a little tech skill.

Btw...checking Ebay.de and Ebay.nl also will give you different types of films.

ps: you will only see "Steiner" or "Stukas" or "Hercules" or those Kung Fu film from Hong Kong in ebay.de

You will only see variois "Tarzan" in ebay.nl.

Cheers,

--------------------
Winbert

Bernard C. G. Pritchard
Junior

- posted June 05, 2017 04:15 PM      Profile for Bernard C. G. Pritchard   Author's Homepage   Email Bernard C. G. Pritchard   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you, Winbert for that clarification.

Occasionally I have ventured onto the US eBay site, where, as you say, there is a greater selection, since eBay excludes the sales or auctions for lots that are specified by the seller as being available only to the respective home country.

However, I have then discovered some particular thing that I'm after, and have written to the seller politely asking if he or she might kindly consider sending to the UK (and, importantly, also requesting P&P costs).

Sometimes I have then bought things by this means, so it's worth a try, Brad!

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC