8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Broke Sankyo 500 (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Broke Sankyo 500
Peter Gilabert
Film Handler

- posted June 25, 2017 04:49 PM      Profile for Peter Gilabert   Email Peter Gilabert   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes,
Thanks for the feedback all!

|  IP: Logged

Phil Murat
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 26, 2017 11:39 AM      Profile for Phil Murat   Email Phil Murat   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Peter,

I understand you replace components (Rectifier(s) Bridge(s) & Capacitors) but one of them failed again.

Is the last picture showing new components ?
If Yes, one bridge looks out of order.

Could you tell me parameters for these Bridges (means Voltage rate and Current )
If you have no reference for Bridges, you can get an idea like this :
Current 3A = 1 square mm for component terminal/wire section (Approx)

Is there any fuse between Transformer and rectifiers ?
Try to disconnect wires (for Amplifier or Motors) which are normally localised between Rectifying stage (Bridge + Capacitors).
"Power on" Projector and check output DC Voltage after from output Bridge.
If All is OK (means No fume and No Over heating observed) there is a high probability for a Short Circuit Just After Rectifying Stage.

Let us know.

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted June 26, 2017 11:59 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's the difference between finding "A" problem and "THE" problem. (1)

There's a short in there someplace! The rectifier is just an innocent bystander which got caught in the crossfire.

NOTES:

(1) About 10 years ago my clutch wasn't releasing. A mechanic said my clutch was worn and charged me $750 to replace it. (That was A problem).

I got the car back and a few days later found out THE problem from the start was a worn out $150 clutch cable which I then replaced myself.

(If I'd known that all along...)

What's the difference between A problem and THE problem? -in this case 750 dollars!

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Peter Gilabert
Film Handler

- posted June 26, 2017 03:29 PM      Profile for Peter Gilabert   Email Peter Gilabert   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I applaud the selfless generosity of the members' time and advice here. Perhaps I shall tackle the Sankyo but now that I have a working B & H, in a less fervent manner.

That way I'm not so pissed off all the time .
[Big Grin]

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted June 26, 2017 04:15 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sometimes the best thing to do is put it away and do something else for a while.

If you go back to it, how I would deal with this is snip out the burnt rectifier, hang an ohmmeter on the (+) and (-) terminals, (hopefully) observe the short circuit and then start disconnecting and reconnecting things from the motor, through the switches and then back to the board watching to see when the short disappears.

-at least then you know what general neighborhood your troublemaker is hiding in.

Plus: troubleshooting with no power, and no smoke!

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC